Hacking a "Bad Batch" Acekard , what to do??

shineek

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
yesterday ive got and acekard for my birthday and it turns out to be one of those bad batch , so i have some questions
1.should i return it on warranty , because it goes under one of the warranty points that says that the bought product has to meet the specifications , and this one clearly dosent .
2.i know that there is a firmware for this , but it runs slow as hell , sometimes dosent save , sometimes dosent load , and has hell lot of slowdowns , probably because of the fat32 . so are there any good news if i returning it on warranty would fail ?? or did my friends lose their money on something that works worse than a dslinker , or any other of those older crap.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shineek said:
yesterday ive got and acekard for my birthday and it turns out to be one of those bad batch , so i have some questions
1.should i return it on warranty , because it goes under one of the warranty points that says that the bought product has to meet the specifications , and this one clearly dosent .
You cannot return it under warrenty, it does what it says. It works with Official 4.22, and this is the latest official firmware. No it doesn't work with AKAIO, but AKAIO is unofficial 3rd party software. The next version of AKAIO, if and when it's released will support them.

Your retailer may replace them, but it's upto their discretion.

QUOTE2.i know that there is a firmware for this , but it runs slow as hell , sometimes dosent save , sometimes dosent load , and has hell lot of slowdowns , probably because of the fat32 . so are there any good news if i returning it on warranty would fail ?? or did my friends lose their money on something that works worse than a dslinker , or any other of those older crap.
Your other issues are more likely to be with the MicroSD card, not the Acekard. Make sure you formatted it with the Panasonic Formatter.

shineek

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
panasonic formatter dosent do a fat32 format , it does a fat format , and the new official firmware says to make a format to fat32 in other words to the same partition type the old flash cards like dslinker worked .
so its clearly not what the specifications say , where it is written that i buy a dslinker in an acekard cover .
its like buying a dvd player that can only play cd's and cant play dvd's .

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shineek said:
panasonic formatter dosent do a fat32 format , it does a fat format , and the new official firmware says to make a format to fat32 in other words to the same partition type the old flash cards like dslinker worked .
so its clearly not what the specifications say , where it is written that i buy a dslinker in an acekard cover .
its like buying a dvd player that can only play cd's and cant play dvd's .
The Panasonic formatter does format FAT32, but only on MicroSDHC cards. That's they way it's meant to be based on the SD Association's SD Specifications. Just like it will format MicroSDXC card's to EX-FAT.

If you are formatting a MicroSD card to FAT32, then i'm not suprised you are having problems.

Format your MicroSD card with the Panasonic Formatter

There are tons and tons of posts on here with MicroSD card issues, many of which have been solved by using the Panasonic Formatter.

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
shineek said:
2.i know that there is a firmware for this , but it runs slow as hell , sometimes dosent save , sometimes dosent load , and has hell lot of slowdowns , probably because of the fat32 . so are there any good news if i returning it on warranty would fail ?? or did my friends lose their money on something that works worse than a dslinker , or any other of those older crap.
Official firmware 4.21 should work just fine for you until AKAIO 1.6 RC3 gets released, which will fix the problem as well. Other problems are most likely not kernel related.

jak larnak

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Actually, panasonic sdformatter can format in FAT 32.
It's a "smart" app that choose automatically the clusters size and FAT type (FAT for 2Go and smaller SD & FAT 32 for 4Go and higher SD).
You definitely should give it a try.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you tried formatting it with the Panasonic Formatter, then installing the Acekard 4.22 firmware fresh?

Remember they are Chinese, they will be errors in the Readme and on their site from the Translation to english.

jak larnak

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What you don't understand is that if your SD is 2 Go, you don't need to format it in FAT 32.
Just use SDformatter, you'll see the result.

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Formatting and reformatting may not help. If you have a ANY china SDHC sandisk, that might be your issue. They have very slow read speeds. In every test I've done. NONE of the china sandisks I bought read speed exceeded 8 mb/s or performed well with any of my acekards.

shineek

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
it says it was assembled in japan
oh BTW ive forgot to ask , will this bad batch acekard work like the normal acekard , or will it have more problems , and shorter life span??

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Goto to a command prompt, type in diskpart. Then type "List Volume" press enter, then "Select Volume [volume number of your MicroSD card]" press enter, then "filesystems" and press enter. See what the default allocation unit size is for FAT32, and see if that same cluster size is an option for FAT. If so, try formmating to FAT with that allocation unit size.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
shineek said:
it says it was assembled in japan
oh BTW ive forgot to ask , will this bad batch acekard work like the normal acekard , or will it have more problems , and shorter life span??
"Bad batch" isn't really a good term for the Acekard you got. Technically, it's just an Acekard that has newer hardware that isn't supported yet (it works with 4.22 though).

shineek

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
newer??
this is what they wrote on acekard official site
There're only a few AK2 has this issue and we already adjust our production as soon as we found the issue.
if its new why dont they make more of em . from what they wrote its not new , its a mistake theyve made and the bad batch acekards have some other chips .

BTW tried all you said still there are the same slowdowns , altough it loads faster , the rest is the same .

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's no so much of a production run. It's simply that the've used a different brand of memory chip, and the Acekard software needs to address it differently.

Have you not got any MicroSDHC cards to try it with? as other people seem to have got it working.

If you are using a MicroSD card

McNA5TY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When using any fw other than 4.22 (or 4.07 and before), you will get white screens and save errors for most games. That is how you tell if you have a bad batch (other than peeling the sticker off and checking the chip against images posted). If it is indeed a bad batch and not an actual defective unit then I would advise not returning it for a replacement. I bought mine from DX and all five were bad batch (December). Sent all five back and got five shiny bad batch acekards. What surprises me is that retailers still have inventory of these.

Best answer: Run the SD formatter. Load the official 4.22 Acekard fw. Wait for the next version of AKAIO to come out as it supports these cards.

[edit] I'm having trouble understanding why you are so intent on formatting in FAT32. Mine is Sandisk 2gb formatted to FAT on 4.22 fw and everyfings perfeck.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later