600kb/s over wifi?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Magsor, Feb 11, 2011.

Feb 11, 2011

600kb/s over wifi? by Magsor at 5:40 PM (1,682 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Magsor
    OP

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    I have been spending past days learning and searching to setup my home network in order to work with my ps3 and wii and everything works fine but for one thing the speed is not what it should be.

No matter how my devices talk to each other ftp/upnp/smb i cant seem to get more than 600Kb/s all my devices are wireless-g and my router is wireless-N and i have 2 computer (not next to each other).

Where to troubleshoot from now? Theorethical wireless speed for wireless-G is 6.75Mb/s...

2. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Theoretical. There are practical limitations like walls, and other signal blockers that slows the speed down. See how much you get via cable to compare.

3. porchemasi

Member porchemasi GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I easily hit 2 MB/s downloads via torrent Wiress G Adaptor and Wireless N Router with 37% signal strength... with 3 physical computers connected via ethernet....

I find when my bro uses his laptop via wifi my speeds drop to around 500kb/s ... are u using 2 wireless devices at the same time?

also log into your router and look at teh settings.. my DLINK has speed boost and like settings for gaming etc... check it out!

4. Magsor
    OP

Canada
    ok but i can get 2 mb/s download on the internet!? and what a is cable connection (which work a whole lot different) gonna tell me ?

Its simple the problem is between 2 devices (2 computers for example) i am sure i am not the only one who has faced that problem.

5. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Basically you need to first determine what the baseline throughput of the router is. Connect your computer directly to the router and do something like speedtest.net. This gives you the absolute maximum you can get over a wired connection. It's also a reproducable test so you aren't using something like how long does a demo take to download on my PS3 as a benchmark.

Once you have this, unplug your device from the router and go wireless while basically sitting next to it. This will eliminate issues like wall interference, distance, etc. Test again using speedtest.net and see what you get.

If you're still seeing some issue there are some ways you can try to mitigate problems

1) Switching the channel the wireless operates over can help. the default is usually 7 so change it up and test for any improvements
    2) Update wireless drivers. Old drivers can cause problems. Update and make sure you're at the latest
    3) Update router firmware. Doesn't hurt to try!

If you're transferring BETWEEN wireless devices you are for all practical purposes dividing the bandwidth by 1/2. So even in the best of scenarios you're not going to get the maximum transfer rate between devices if they're both wireless.

6. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Also see if you can find your router on the smallbuildernet wireless charts

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/o...less/Itemid,200

might give you an idea of your throroughput maximum. But theoretically with g you should see 20mbs-25mbps which is pretty typical of g speeds without enhancment.

7. Magsor
    OP

Canada
    Ok this is far more complex than what i would have imagined. Basically this technology does not deliver what it advertize.

By disconnecting all devices but the 2 computers i got a speed of 1.2 Mb/s which is a big improvementbut still slow.

It will take me a lot of time to figure this out but I will eventually. Ill take my router back to the store to get a better one...

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You sure it's not your wireless card, it's drivers, or something else bottlenecking?

Also did you try updating the router's firmware?

9. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I used to work for an ISP, and I got that remark a lot.

Basically, I would advise against using wireless services for gaming, as it's rather hit and miss: on my Wii the wireless gaming works like a charm, but my Xbox 360 doesn't like it (and I ended up wiring it in the end). The same goes with regular pc's. For browsing, it's okay to use a wireless connection, but for high-speed downloading it's not the best option.

You'll only get the maximum out of your bandwith if the console/pc and router are in the same room placed next to eachother. With every metre you separate the two by, your speed drops. This is especially true if there are walls blocking the signal or other gear interfering with it.

If you live in a high-density street, you could have some luck trying to change the channel as far away from the default channel of 7, as people in your neighborhood may have left theirs at default and are thus interfering with yours.

If that doesn't work, I would advise you to consider moving the wireless router closer to or within the room(s) you have the computers/ps3, or laying down cables instead.

10. Magsor
    OP

Canada
    I have checked the drivers/firmwares and all up to date (altough latest are from 2005)

Right now I am looking into getting wired but thats gonna take some more time setting up...

11. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Do you have a cordless phone or any wireless device active? Sometimes they uses the same frequency (2.4GHz) and cause interference to wireless network.

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    How exactly did you check?

Using the functions of the windows device manager rarely (if ever) return the latest drivers because they're not looking at the actual source.

13. Magsor
    OP

Canada
    I check on manufacturers website thanks Ridian.

So I went to the store today to check if they have better routers (they didnt i am not gonna tell you what store i am not here to advertize) anyhow I found something I would have dreamed of but never knew it existed.

It acts as a SMB server (For wii and PS2) as well as DLNA server (for PS3). So I am very very very happy.
    with my existing setup (even with everything connected) I get 2.50 Mb/s. I can start from that and change my router and network adapter and everything will be faster and faster.

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus.../catid.13092900

It will save me for making a linux server (which is what i planed in the first place)

14. squall23

Member squall23 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Before I ask anything else, what exactly is the internet speed that you paid for?

15. Magsor
    OP

Canada
    I don't understand the question but the connection I had was 15 mb/s over cable (I think i did not know at the time...) But now I have only a 7 mb/s connection ADSL(which is unlimited!!).