500gb Xbox upgrade help

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by SkankyYankee, Sep 7, 2008.

Sep 7, 2008

500gb Xbox upgrade help by SkankyYankee at 2:42 AM (2,169 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. SkankyYankee
    OP

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    Ok i currently have my old box softmodded using this method. See Here

Can i upgrade to a 500gb
    only having unleash x, and my current eeprom and backup folder?
    I've been looking for a while on forums and cant find a definitive guide or answer

Thank you, Any help would be appreciated.

2. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Wow, it's been a long time since I've had to tinker inside an xbox without a chip doing the "hard part" (ie: my x3 will boot a dvd even if the hdd is unformatted, from there using autoinstaller to partition it so I can ftp in whatever I want is a snap.)

XBHDM seems to be the preferred method... here's a couple links you might find useful (google : xbox softmod upgrade hdd) - I seem to recall a way to set up a new HDD by hooking it where the dvd drive goes and giving the new hdd power from an external source, but I don't remember which apps supported that sort of thing atm.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/203286
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t576751.html
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/366945

3. SkankyYankee
    OP

United States
    thanks Cory, checking them out now

4. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    make sure you use a lba48+ bios so it can support 500gb.

I have done this in the past for customers with xboxhdm on a softmodded xbox and it worked fine.

5. SkankyYankee
    OP

United States
    i wish i saw your post before i started loading up my hdd. Im using UnleashX as dash and im not sure about the bios im using. I've heard that it does support 500gb and it still shows hundreds of gigs free. I loaded my copy of Media Mixer yesterday as well as some other games. Suddenly when i looked into my emulator folder my Psxbox folder is empty! Now when i ftp into the box and try loading the games back up. It loads the folders but they are empty, and the space still gets taken away from the free space!!!!

I am at a loss here, i saw in xbox-scene that XBMM changes some config files that screws things up. I replaced my dash files with clean ones and deleted the XBMM game and save.

Is there any other way than to reformat it, is there any hdd scan util native to xbox?

If i do need to format, how should i go about it so this doesnt happen again?

Any help would be great.

(Update: BIOSchecker says i have a retail 3944 and its a v1.0, i've also checked that i cant flash it to a new bios until i solder the points.)

6. avant1277

Member avant1277 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i'm not sure on the details anymore, but I used xbpartitioner to set the cluster size and size of F drive etc. there's a limit between size of drive and cluster size / partition set up. I have a 500GB drive and just wanted a big F drive so I set large clusters.

a symptom of it not being set up properly is that after filling the drive a certain amount when you add any more it goes into a black hole.

you should be able to find lots of guides about partitioning + clusters of large drives via google.

good luck [​IMG]