Hacking 5.01 exploit PoC

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The following was posted by karma_protection2 on Reddit and I thought it was a really good post, I am sure he won't mind me copying and pasting it here as it will probably help clarify things for a few people

Clarification regarding the 5.05 kernel exploit and jailbreak

Most people seem to be very emotional and not understanding the hacking process so I though I should try to clarify the recent 5.0x kexploit situation.

Many of you recently learned that qwertyoruiop has a 5.05 kernel exploit. That is not news, in fact he even confirmed he's had it for 8 months so a lot of people got very upset for some reason. There is a reason for that and it's very simple and also smart and noble from qwertyoruiop - he treated it as a 0day vulnerability. For those who don't know - 0day vulnerability is something that a hacker knows but the hackee (eg. Sony) is not aware of. He was waiting to see if that vulnerability is still present in the next version 5.50, however it was fixed by Sony. Hackers protecting their 0day is common practice because it could pay off in the long term.

I'll continue with that kernel exploit is not jailbreak. There are several patches that need to be added to the kexploit code in order to achieve jailbreak. Only then will it be able to load HEN. A few weeks ago qwertyoruiop tweeted "I know at least one is vulnerable to the 5.x BPF bug - and hopefully they will patch it soon." He is not referring to Sony but the hacker(s) who are trying to patch the kexploit, to make it usable for jailbreak. See this link if you want to get a better understanding of the patches - https://github.com/Cryptogenic/PS4-4.55-Kernel-Exploit. However, apparently the 5.xx work very differently as compared to 4.55 so that has proven a challenge.

Yesterday qwertyoruiop posted the following series of tweets https://imgur.com/a/qysJi This describes another 5.xx jailbreak challenge and that the guy is working on it. You can see that he's using his techniques across different platform which is very, very beneficial for the homebrew world. This is good!

In conclusion, I want to remind that this is nothing new. I just hope this makes people less confused and frustrated. I am not in a position to give any estimation for a jailbreak, as I'm not involved at all, so my personal advice is that you be patient and appreciate all the hackers' work. It will come when it's done. In the meantime 4.55 Slim consoles are still fairly easy to find so you can get one and have fun with it until there is a 5.05 jailbreak then you can sell it and upgrade to a Pro.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The weird thing is that even though most people know all that, they still get carried away on the hype train and succumb to mob mentality.

Obviously mob mentality and constantly pestering the dev's is far from helpful but I think what would be helpful is rather than posting cryptic type messages why not post something to let people know exactly where they stand ?

Like if it's gonna be 6 months or more then why not say so and then the mob would hopefully settle down

I think it's the being in the total dark which is the problem. That said on the Nintendo scene's we've been blessed with the likes of Scires and co. who are transparent and let you know what's going on along the way, which most of the time keeps people settled down

Last edited by peteruk,

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
That said on the Nintendo scene's we've been blessed with the likes of Scires and co. who are transparent and let you know what's going on
well put mate, and they even post progress and show snips/clips of their work most of the time and tell us exactly what it is.

the followers are left abit in the dark, but the clarification you posted from reddit was real nice to read.

I'll keep my pro definitely on 5.05 now that i know more about what's going on!
i think we will eventually get to know more sometime soon.

Reactions: peteruk
L

LokiV

Well everything for 5.01 got ported and it’s still not released
So I guess they will port everything to 5.05 then release for 5.05

One of them (Matthieu) made a comment just recently again about the list of FWs to stay on in order (5.01 then 5.05 last). I wonder why he did that. I too thought if the exploit is patched after 5.05, they would just go for the highest one, unless it's more complicated than that.

Reactions: NeoSlyde
D

Deleted-355425

One of them (Matthieu) made a comment just recently again about the list of FWs to stay on in order (5.01 then 5.05 last). I wonder why he did that. I too thought if the exploit is patched after 5.05, they would just go for the highest one, unless it's more complicated than that.

or more then one exploit :)

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously mob mentality and constantly pestering the dev's is far from helpful but I think what would be helpful is rather than posting cryptic type messages why not post something to let people know exactly where they stand ?

Like if it's gonna be 6 months or more then why not say so and then the mob would hopefully settle down

I think it's the being in the total dark which is the problem. That said on the Nintendo scene's we've been blessed with the likes of Scires and co. who are transparent and let you know what's going on along the way, which most of the time keeps people settled down
I guess the answer to that is that everyone is different. I have a feeling being socially adept and well-adjusted aren't strong traits in the hacking world (or just coding in general even). That's why someone like SciresM stands out amongst all the others.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The following was posted by karma_protection2 on Reddit and I thought it was a really good post, I am sure he won't mind me copying and pasting it here as it will probably help clarify things for a few people

As someone else noted in that reddit thread, m0rph3us1987 last October demoed HEN allegedly working on FW 5.01 and I'm convinced that video was real as that's the same character that later released the HEN for FW 4.55. If you remember the source wasn't released because he camped some excuses about his SDK...

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As someone else noted in that reddit thread, m0rph3us1987 last October demoed HEN allegedly working on FW 5.01 and I'm convinced that video was real as that's the same character that later released the HEN for FW 4.55. If you remember the source wasn't released because he camped some excuses about his SDK...

I think you could well be right mate...... I don't want to be seen as one of those that keeps going on and on but why can't they just let us 5.0x people have the goodies lol

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It’s matthieu that told me everything is ported for 5.01
And their plans is to release for 5.05 and not 5.01 anymore
Because 5.05 hadn’t a webkit exploit before he wrote that tweet about the order

So now 5.05 > 5.01
Specially because 5.05 cover all games

Mafutabd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Anyone have try this...?
Screenshot_20180321-132459.png

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
reddit is really pretty bad for fakers, lamers and kids I guess

only started browsing it the past 6 months but only ever seem to observe fake shit getting posted

3 times in 24 hours fake 5.0x stuff posted

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/sony-apologizes-for-sony-interview-with-sony-developer-ne...