Tutorial  Updated

Importing Gateway saves to cia games

Switching from Gateway to CFW can be a pain, especially since all your saves were created on Gateway. There's only one way to get those saves to be usable on cia games, and that's to decrypt the saves and eventually import them in the end. It's a very tedious process, but worth it in the end to be able to keep all your saves you worked hard on for so long. Gateway has become more and more obsolete, with CFW being more convenient to work with. ESPECIALLY Arm9loaderhax!

This will guide you on how to convert Gateway saves, and import them into cia games. For those who want to abandon Gateway, or those who still want to keep Gateway but use CFW.
No other guide for this existed so I figured I had to create one.
Be sure you have PLENTY of time to work on this, you'll also need a ton of patience for this!

Thanks to @zhdarkstar for the tip about using JK Save Manager for just about everything! Made the guide ten times easier than it was before.

Requirements
JK Save Manager
CTRXplorer (Can also use FBI)

I. Preperation Steps

1. Right click and copy all your .sav files, paste them anywhere on your computer as backup

2. Make a new folder on your SD card, call it something like "Gateway saves"

3. Copy one of your .sav files into this folder

4. Look up that save file on 3DSDB to see what game it is

5. Rename that .sav file to
0004000002C23200

6. Make a new folder and name it to whatever game it is
Example:
SD:/Gateway saves/Super Mario 3D Land/

7. Place the 0004000002C23200 sav file in this new folder you just created

8. Repeat steps 3-7 until every game is setup this way. Can take a while to go through depending on how much saves you have, be really patient.

9. Download JK Save Manager.cia, and CTRXplorer.cia then place them anywhere on the SD card

II. Exporting & Importing the saves with JK Save Manager

1. Install all the cia games you need, for the games you're going to import saves with

2. Launch each and every game one time, allowing it to initialize which creates save data. Again, this takes a LOT of patience to go through

3. Install JK Save Manager and CTRXplorer cia's using any cia manager you like. Assemble them near the game cart icon on the home menu for quick access.

4. Open CTRXplorer and browse into the Gateway saves folder, then into one of the game folders

5. Copy the 0004000002C23200
sav file (Instructions on top screen, should be Y to copy), then press B twice until you're on the SD's root. Paste the file here using the Y button (Say yes to replace if the file already exists)

6. Press home and close it. Press select to open Gateway's rom menu and choose the game you're about to work on, but don't go into the game

7. Open JK Save Manager, go to "Cartridge", then choose "Export save". Name it anything such as a date ex: 5-8-16

8. Once you exported the save, go back to the main menu and choose "SD/Cia". Find the game and choose "Import save"

9. Repeat steps 4-8 until every game's save is exported then imported. You'll need extreme patience for this, as this is the only way to decrypt the .sav files.

10. Launch some of the games to confirm that the save did indeed transfer successfully.
11. PLEASE make a backup of ALL the backed up saves from JK Save Manager, by uploading them to Google Drive or Dropbox!! This way your saves are forever safe!

About Card2 games
Certain games are card2 type games, where the save file is stored inside the cartridge. In our case, the save is stored inside the rom itself. Games like Pokemon XY/ORAS, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Tomodachi Life, Zelda Tri Force Heroes are card2 games. They don't produce a .sav file on the SD card like card1 games.
To export card2 saves, carry on by selecting the rom then using JK Save Manager to export the cartridge's save. Then import the save in SD/Cia.

Trivia
- Gateway saves are encrypted, so you can't export the save until you first renamed it to 0004000002C23200 and place it on the root. Since you can't have more than one of the same file name in one directory, you gotta work on these one by one. In this process, you're decrypting the saves.

- Some games like Fantasy Life and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy store their primary save data in "Extdata". If you plan on using the same NAND in the end, you don't have to worry about exporting/importing that.

- Saves from JK Save Manager, can be used by just about ANYBODY, from any region. They're highly universal and valuable to share on saves threads. Post them if you like to contribute!

Last edited by MattKimura,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to use SDF anymore. You just need to rename the .sav to 0004000002C23200.sav instead and you can export the save with JKSM.
Revolutionary!! I had no idea this was possible! I literally asked about Gateway saves in the JK Save Manager thread, and all I get is "I don't know about Gateway, sorry"

This changes EVERYTHING, I'm about to delete my guide lol
Thanks for letting me know, I wish I knew about this a long time ago.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revolutionary!! I had no idea this was possible! I literally asked about Gateway saves in the JK Save Manager thread, and all I get is "I don't know about Gateway, sorry"

This changes EVERYTHING, I'm about to delete my guide lol
Thanks for letting me know, I wish I knew about this a long time ago.
It's something that I had tested on a whim when I found out about JKSM. The reason that the workaround for SDF works is that GW mode creates a .sav file for every launched title, even installed cia titles, with all calls for cartridge slot save data being redirected to the .sav instead. I figured that since SDF and JKSM are so functionally similar, the same workaround should work in theory. When Bravely Second Uncensored came out, I decided to put my theory to the test when decrypting my GW save of Bravely Second and importing the data into the cia version of BSU. It was all just a matter of identifying which .sav belonged to JKSM.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to import/decrypt a .sav without a Gateway?
Nope because you need an actual cartridge to export from. That being the Gateway cartridge with the rom selected.
You can either export the save from the cartridge using JK Save Manager, or SavDataFiler.

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FINALLY!

I've been looking for a way to export my saves from my Supercard DSTwo+ (which functions as a Gateway clone) so I could import them to my CIA games for a while now!

Thanks!

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to him, I added that to the guide to make it slightly easier. But now that I think about it, using SDF and JKSM are practically the same thing. Just each on has to rename the sav file to something different. But in the end, you can export then immediately import the save into the cia game using both save managers. I just think JKSM has a better interface to use overall, much easier to understand. `You just go to cartridge > Export. Then SD/Cia > Import

To anyone who thinks the guide is long, that's soley because I have you work in a batch of saves. Instead of renaming one save file and working with just that one, I have you prepare a bunch of saves and get them ready in a folder. So all you gotta do is take them out when you're ready to export that save. It reduces the amount of time going back and forth between the PC.

quantumboy

Casual Hacker, Avid Dreamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question I am trying to get this to work on chibi robo zip lash I have the cia installed and the gateway rom and 0004000000163000.sav in the root of the sd (as all the .savs are already there)
when i'm in jk and try to extract form the gateway loaded cart it fails. (Error opening save archive!)

Can someone help me, I thought the jksm can only read saves from cart if if its cart2

EDIT: Thought I had misread the info, as it seems to say take 0004000000163000.sav from the root of the sd and then remove the .sav extension leaving it extension-less, but I tried that and it still didn't work.

PLEASE HELP

EDIT2: Got it, I didn't get that you actually have to rename the file from what ever title id it is to 0004000002C23200.sav specificly, this worked, but I have no idea why

Last edited by quantumboy,

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT2: Got it, I didn't get that you actually have to rename the file from what ever title id it is to 0004000002C23200.sav specificly, this worked, but I have no idea why

Reread my previous post:
It's something that I had tested on a whim when I found out about JKSM. The reason that the workaround for SDF works is that GW mode creates a .sav file for every launched title, even installed cia titles, with all calls for cartridge slot save data being redirected to the .sav instead. I figured that since SDF and JKSM are so functionally similar, the same workaround should work in theory. When Bravely Second Uncensored came out, I decided to put my theory to the test when decrypting my GW save of Bravely Second and importing the data into the cia version of BSU. It was all just a matter of identifying which .sav belonged to JKSM.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Care to tell me the easier way? What shortcuts do you have in mind?
NTR's Save Plug in is the only thing I found that worked on gateway save's none of this moving renaming shits in this guide here

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...