Homebrew 4 tricky Wii U Q's

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Everyone

Since the Switch is out, I decided to get a Wii U - since you get a lot of people selling the old console now at a great price.

I do have some questions regarding Homebrew & Wii U in general:

1. Is the hacking procedure, to get Wii mode hacked, the exact same as the original/real standalone Wii (which was a pain!)?
  2. Does the Wii U first need to be hacked, in order to load Homebrew in normal Wii mode?
  3. With one external Hard Drive, can I put backup games on the drive, which holds both Wii & Wii U games?
  4. Can you load games directly on the Wii U controller, so that you can play games, without the need to be in range for Off TV Play to work?

Hope I can help others too, which might have the same questions.

Thanks everyone.

Apologies if some of these questions have already been answered somewhere else.​

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. not the same process
2. no
3. yes, but it's a pain
4. you can play them, yes. you can now play gamecube games from the tablet controller. I think wii games (as vc) can be as well, but the gyroscope and ir don't work. wii u games - yes.

Last edited by godreborn,

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. not the same process
2. no
3. yes, but it's a pain
4. you can play them, yes. you can now play gamecube games from the tablet controller. I think wii games can be as well, but the gyroscope and ir don't work. wii u games - yes.

In your experience or opinion:
  1. is it easier or more difficult to hack the Wii U (in Wii mode) than with the original Wii?
  2. thus I just need to load Homebrew in order to do basically everything I used to be able to do on my old Wii?
  3. it just the Hard Drive preparation which is a pain - after just a matter of copying games over?
  4. thus I can take the Wii U controller, to a friend, and the Wii U console stays at home & play some games?

..thanks btw.

Last edited by WineAnt,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Yes, assuming what you're thinking of is SmasHax/one of the Lego haxx/Yu-gi-pwnd. Letterbomb, bannerbomb, and the Twilight Hack don't work
2. Not if you're using an exploitable Wii game. If not, though, there is a way to inject the HackMii installer into the Wii U Mii Channel. I've never used that, though.
3. Yes, provided you're injecting Wii games into the Wii U Wii VC. Otherwise no, you'll have to get a second drive and format it to FAT32 for vWii stuff
4. Nope, the gamepad literally only has enough hardware to act as a dumb interference with the console. You should get a Switch if you want that:P

Reactions: WineAnt

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. not sure really. u have the smash stack which can be used on both the wii u and the wii, but the preferred method (I think) uses ftpiiueverywhere which means hacking the wii u side. it doesn't require a game either like the smash stack requiring super smash bros.
2. u should be able to do everything the original wii could do, just don't install a theme using the old wii method and use forwarders designed for the virtual wii.
3. it's not that. u have to install the game to a wii u formatted drive, then copy the content over to a fat32 drive. it kinda defeats the purpose if u need a wii u drive to begin with.
4. u can't do that. the range is only enough to be in a bedroom/living room.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for everyone's reply so far. I appreciate your time.

Going bit off topic, but still applicable to my thread, may I continue asking:

1. what the safest way to hack the Wii U so that I can UNDO, if I mess some of the steps up?
  2. I just want to play Wii virtual games in Wii mode & backed-up Wii games. All relatively easy to do?
  3. But it is possible, besides being annoying and a lot of trouble, to have one HD with both Wii & Wii U games on?
  4. thus, there is no way I can play games directly on the Wii U gamepad, without the console?

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
  1. Is the hacking procedure, to get Wii mode hacked, the exact same as the original/real standalone Wii (which was a pain!)?
  2. Does the Wii U first need to be hacked, in order to load Homebrew in normal Wii mode?
  3. With one external Hard Drive, can I put backup games on the drive, which holds both Wii & Wii U games?
  4. Can you load games directly on the Wii U controller, so that you can play games, without the need to be in range for Off TV Play to work?
  1. Yes and no, there are two methods by now. The first being using something like Smash Stack. The second being using WUPHax. Both methods have good tutorials on YouTube.
  2. If are going to use WUPHax, then yes.
  3. Yes, you could use something like Wii Backup Manager for Wii games and Loadiine with Mocha for Wii U games. (But you can't go online with Loadiine)
  4. No.

Last edited by AboodXD,
Reactions: WineAnt

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. haxchi. all exploits are pretty easy to get rid of - formatting the wii u. just don't do that if on cbhc or you'll brick.
2. they'll be on wii u mode, but they're easy to manage. the system can use wiimotes in wii u mode and obviously with the wii vc.
3. yes, with wii vc; the other way requires the steps I mentioned above and using mocha.
4. you still need the console since the content/disc channel are a part of the system/hdd.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you can delete the haxchi game too in case you want to keep installed content. then, it's just a matter of redownloading the game from the eshop.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You guys are the best!

I'm keeping our Wii U for the holidays. Before then, I'll be doing further research, for when I open and start it up at home. And, collecting new Wii U games while I wait for 25 Dec..

Reactions: godreborn

AboodXD

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
  1. what the safest way to hack the Wii U so that I can UNDO, if I mess some of the steps up?
  2. I just want to play Wii virtual games in Wii mode & backed-up Wii games. All relatively easy to do?
  3. But it is possible, besides being annoying and a lot of trouble, to have one HD with both Wii & Wii U games on?
  4. thus, there is no way I can play games directly on the Wii U gamepad, without the console?
  1. You can't really mess up unless you use something that involves IOSU exploit. You just need to access the Homebrew Launcher by putting it on your SD Card and simply going to a certain website on your Wii U Browser. Again, YouTube has a lot of good tutorials.
  2. You could just look up a tutorial on how to load backups on vWii. It's really not complicated.
  3. one HD...?
  4. No.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
  1. You can't really mess up unless you use something that involves IOSU exploit. You just need to access the Homebrew Launcher by putting it on your SD Card and simply going to a certain website on your Wii U Browser. Again, YouTube has a lot of good tutorials.
  2. You could just look up a tutorial on how to load backups on vWii. It's really not complicated.
  3. one HD...?
  4. No.
  1. ..
  2. ..
  3. Partition the drive into two..
  4. ..

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the wii u formats the whole drive, so there's no way to partition it.

btw, don't delete the haxchi game if on cbhc or you'll brick. remove cbhc first before deleting or formatting.

AboodXD

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Partition the drive into two..
Ah, I honestly don't know.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, don't delete the haxchi game if on cbhc or you'll brick. remove cbhc first before deleting or formatting.
Why would anyone use cbhc anyway? You're just risking a brick for the sake of saving a few seconds...

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. ..
  2. ..
  3. Partition the drive into two..
  4. ..
I believe the wii u formats the whole drive, so there's no way to partition it.

Correct. The only way to have a single hard drive is to inject Wii games into Wii VC on a Wii U formatted drive

Reactions: godreborn

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This questions aren't tricky at all. Expect for the 4. question they're questions you find on this forum over and over again and also answered in every good WiiU hacking guide.
The 4. question also isn't tricky, it's just that you don't struggle that often over this question.

Last edited by VitaType,

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This questions aren't tricky at all. Expect for the 4. question they're questions you find on this forum over and over again and also answered in every good WiiU hacking guide.
The 4. question also isn't tricky, it's just that you don't struggle that often over this question.

VitaType: "tricky" was the keyword I used to get you, the reader's, attention, to give me a direct answer to my questions.

Often in life, making conclusions, from similar sounding question or problems (in this case from forums or 'guides'), are not exactly what you are questioning.

When working with hardware, I'm not going to risk bricking my devices for the sake of making conclusions from guides and such.

Last edited by WineAnt,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1