Hacking 4.3 update question

VassagoX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was reading in another thread that if you already have hbc updated, it's safe to take three official 4.3 update, is that accurate? What can I expect? Will BootMii still work from Boot2?

Thanks!

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes it will stay. But bootmii will only stay if your boot2 version is already v4 (you can check this using dop-mii).

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
You will not lose the HBC if you have the latest version installed, however, your cIOS249 will likely be stubbed, your bootmii @ boot2 will be updated/uninstalled UNLESS you have bootmii installed as boot2v4 (if its v3 or less, it will be updated/uninstalled). Priiloader will also be uninstalled/overwritten.

If you want to update to 4.3 (which is pointless as it does nothing that 4.1 cant also do) I recommend you use ModMii to help you change your firmware version. ModMii will allow you to switch between SM versions safely and without losing anything that would normally be lost during an official nintendo update.

edit: you can check your boot2 version using Dop-Mii or BootMii. You can even use dop-mii to update your boot2 to v4 (uninstalling bootmii @ boot2) then re-install bootmii @ boot2, this time it will be v4 so it will not be lost in the event of an accidental official ninty update.

xakota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i update with ModMii, will nintendo sitll bug me about updating to 4.3 when i want to get netflix from the shop channel? I've never been interested in updating before but now that netflix is avaliable from the shop channel I want it. If I update with ModMii, can I then download from the shop channel without a notice to upgrade?
Also how would i go about upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3 with ModMii?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
FYI, u can still use the shopping channel on any firmware. U don't need to update to 4.3. All that is required to use the shopping channel is the most recent version of the shopping channel (currently v20) and the most recent version of IOS56... so if u want u can stay on 4.2 and still use the shopping channel.

This is what you should do... start ModMii... from the main menu enter "W" to launch the ModMii Wizard
Tell it your Wii is a virgin even if its not, so that u can re-hack your Wii from square 1 (U don't need to do this assuming your Wii is already properly softmodded... but that is a big assumption, and I recommend u rehack your Wii from the beginning to make sure everything is done correctly)
It will ask you some questions, answer them... ie. it will ask what firmware u r currently on, in your case, answer "4.2", then it will ask what firmware you want to be on, here u can enter "4.2" again (or if u decide u have to be on 4.3, u can enter "4.3"). When it asks you to install the shopping channel, say "Y" for yes.

xakota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks very much, I think I'll just stick with 4.2. I can install ios56, but how do do i update my shop channel?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
download the latest wads of IOS56 and the shop channel for your region and install them
or use the ModMii Wizard and answer the Qs to download the files u need and build u a guide that spells out every mundane detail

Alternatively, if your Wii is wifi enabled, u can use dop-mii to update IOS56 and the shopping channel

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is one game that is fixed in 4.2. I can't think of it on top of my head, but has something to do with multilayer mode.

4.3 however, is all about going after homebrew/piracy user.

VassagoX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I concur with everyone else guys. Don't update to 4.3 as there is no need. The new Netflix channel works in 4.2 just fine, you just have to update the Shop Channel which can easily be downloaded alone with ModMii above.

vic_rattlehead

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you, this thread was quite helpful in answering questions about updating (and I can finally use the shopping channel again)!

Would someone mind explaining in a few words what ModMii and/or dop-mii are exactly?

I'm running 4.1E (and not going to update to 4.3 thanks to you guys) and have bootmii installed as boot2. I've also installed region free and other hacks with Startpatch 2.0.
I use USB Loader GX for playing backups, but it doesn't seem to work smoothly with the cIOSrev13a, which I'm on (no disk art, since I have to enable QuickBoot).

I'm a little intrigued by dop-mii, Modmii, and also wondering if I should run Darkcorps for all kinds of reasons.

Will any of these help me get a missing ios? Will they help me update to a better cIOS (assuming there is one)?

I just installed a region free Sonic 4 wad and my screen goes black when I select the channel from the System Menu, so I assume I'm missing certain ios, and I'm not sure where to get them.

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm quite a noob and you guys are some of the few who offer clear and concise answers.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ModMii is a windows program, that asks u simple questions about your wii, and when u are finished answering, it will download all the files u need to your SD Card, as well as build u a custom guide for you to follow

It has many many other features... but basically it is the most user friendly Wii modding interactive guide every written (in my opinion... which is admittedly biased since I wrote the program)

hope that helps a little bit

vic_rattlehead

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
XFlak said:
ModMii is a windows program, that asks u simple questions about your wii, and when u are finished answering, it will download all the files u need to your SD Card, as well as build u a custom guide for you to follow

It has many many other features... but basically it is the most user friendly Wii modding interactive guide every written (in my opinion... which is admittedly biased since I wrote the program)

hope that helps a little bit

Thanks for your quick reply XFlak. I've read some of your posts in other threads about your creation, and I'm quited excited to try it out sometime because of your enthusiasm.

The thing is, can it be of any use to me now that my Wii is already softmodded? I have the HBC and several apps and use the USB Loader GX for my games; do I still have something to gain from ModMii?

For example, can I get new IOS files/wads, or apps, etc. (i.e. what "files" does it download to my SD card like you said?)

Even if it won't be of much use to me, I might use it to softmod my friend's Wii next week. I'm not quite sure how to go about this since I used the Twilight Hack two years ago and I heard bannerbomb doesn't work on the latest system menu (which I'm sure he has, since he bought a new Wii).

Thanks for the info on ModMii, it might be useful in this respect.

xakota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
download the latest wads of IOS56 and the shop channel for your region and install them
or use the ModMii Wizard and answer the Qs to download the files u need and build u a guide that spells out every mundane detail

Alternatively, if your Wii is wifi enabled, u can use dop-mii to update IOS56 and the shopping channel
I just used dopmii to update ios56 and the shopping channel now when i try to start the shopping channel i get error 002. Help?
Also when I updated ios56 i just answered yes on all the questions it asked me, i don't know if i was supposed to do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs