Hacking 4.2 help please

cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys, I need a little help. I'm not new to updating and wii hacking, but I've run in to some strange happenings. My problems all started when for whatever reason my system menu updated to 4.2U when I know I've been on 4.1U since it came out. Anway, was going to update to 4.2 using the sticky guide and got as far as banner bomb when it said I couldn't load hackmii because of unsupported IOS. Previous versoins of Boot Mii and preloader were both working fine, and I checked them to make sure. I tried going into system settings to check my version to make sure I was on 4.1...after getting many blank screens (could still hear music) it finally decided to let me navigate and my system menu was 4.2U?!?! I didn't load any system update WAD files or anything...basically all I ran was the files off the SD card (banner bomb) and tried to load the hackmii installer (which failed on start due to no usable IOS) How this happened I have no idea. I checked bootmii again and checked to see the NAND version...it said I have boot2v4?? How did this happen?? Mind you all my homebrew stuff works still, backups load, and I can run USB loaders, etc... no problem. After doing some more reading I decided to go ahead and try to finish the update in the sticky, but use the part AFTER a 4.2 update to modify. I could still load WAD files with Wadmanger, and loaded the files listed in the sticky guide. Still the homebrew stuff works... I just wanted to make sure I have all the correct IOS files installed. I don't know if bootmii still worked at this point because I didn't test it. I'm thinking it didn't because I had it skip the health screen and at reboot I had to push "a" to get to the wii menu.

After this I still wasn't sure if my system files were all up to date, so I said F' it.... I've read that it's best to just to do a Nintendo update, and then go from there. At this point I thought I'll just try the nintendo updater and see what happens. Not sure if it made any difference since I did the sticky update...but Nintendo's update lasted for like a minute and it was done. I'm guessing it's because the files were already updated?? Anyway, I don't see any difference now from the Nintendo update that I did before doing it. I still have homebrew channel, everything works in it, I can still run backups, my USB loaders still work...however I don't have the Bootmii installed and it wont let me saying something about unsupported IOS. I've read something about deleting IOS 30, then using another IOS (IOS 36?) and reinstall a patched IOS 30 to be able to install bootmii.

Right now I'm just concerned about what IOS and cIOS files are on my wii, and if it will become unstable. I really want bootmii back just for the added protection. My wii is definitely not bricked, not too concerened about bricking it since I have a fairly decent idea of what NOT to delete. I just want to make sure all my homebrew is compatable with the proper IOS files if that makes sense.

In the past I would just reformat my wii and start fresh. I've done that many times in the past when I first got into wii hacking and homebrew. I've leaned a lot from trial and error, and saved my wii from what I thought was a brick. Anyway, my original system is pre 3.2U. I've read if I'm at 4.2U downgrading will brick it since it has boot2v4, I would think reformatting would just put my system back to what it was from factory...but would boot2v4 cause a problem? If so this is a major oversight by Nintendo. I've also read formatting is a bad idea and shouldn't be done, since I doesn't remove all IOS files or cIOS files. I've also read about "re-virginizing" my 4.2U wii...of course keeping all the homebrew IOS files and channels...

What should I do guys?? Just keep it as is since my homebrew is working? I need to get bootmii installed though. I guess I'm just too anal about having the latest updates (though I initially didn't even update to 4.2) and knowing if I have the proper IOS files and cIOS files.

seb77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only thing that could stop you to install bootmii is if your wii is running the new version of boot1.

If everything else works... don't worry and be happy... ;-)

And official formatting wipes just saves and installed channels.

Use TitleLister to know what titles and what IOSes are installed on your console

Title Lister

It will create a .txt files on your SD file with a list of titles/IOS and their respective versions.

Do you have cIOSCorp installed ? Maybe hackmii don't want to install because of the custom IOS36...

Do your homebrew channel is upside down ?

a_running_pir8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you ever install the CIOSCORP package? I had a wii that was previously modded with CIOSCORP and the nintendo update wouldnt finish giving an error, and that was also the reason why I couldn't even run the BootMii installer claiming no supported IOS. If you ever had CIOSCORP installed I suggest you run the CIOSCORP uninstaller, and then do an official nintendo update as you already have boot2v4 anyways and then rerun the entire mod sticky using bannerbomb etc...

Hope this helps, if not reply back with what all you have done to your system so we can try and help you more.

cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the replies...yes I did install CIOSCORP. I figured if I updated it would just overwrite everything anyway, but I'll try to run the uninstaller and see if that works. I'll get back and let you know what happens.

Thanks.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The newer versions of CIOSCorp will not be overwritten by the latest update. the version numbers are maxed out and therefore the system thinks you already have the latest version. To restore functionality to the hackmii installer simply install an unpatched version of IOS 36.

cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, maybe all isn't so good. I cannot uninstall CISCORP, it just goes to a black screen and I have to turn off the wii...also I when I run WAD manager, after I push A to select the IOS the program locks up and I have to turn off the wii. The wii remote also wont respond, just all the LEDs will blink. So now what??

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cokeman118 said:
Ok, maybe all isn't so good. I cannot uninstall CISCORP, it just goes to a black screen and I have to turn off the wii...also I when I run WAD manager, after I push A to select the IOS the program locks up and I have to turn off the wii. The wii remote also wont respond, just all the LEDs will blink. So now what??
what ios are you selecting?

cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get a chance to...it seems to lock up as it loads. I ran SignChecker and got a report...could not run IOS check...it just gives me a blank screen.

IOS 250,202, 38, 36, 35 are the only ones showing the trucha bug, none show boot 2 access.

edit...Ok, maybe I was pushing A too fast and chose the default IOS on WAD installer...I tried using IOS35 and it's letting me read WAD files off of the SD card. Should I try to install the WAD files from CIOSCORP Uninstaller?? Or Should I try to redo the WAD files from the 4.2 update sticky?

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Follow these instructions:

Load AnytitleDeleter mod06b via HBC.
When it asks to select IOS to run under, select IOS36.

Then delete IOS249 (4.2 update killed it). DON'T DELETE ANYTHING ELSE!

then run cIOSrev15 installer via HBC.
When it asks to select IOS to run under, select IOS36.

install cIOS249.

Then run cIOSCORp v3.x Uninstaller.

Then run cIOSCORP v3.6 Main Installer.

Then you should be fine.

Oh, and then you can reinstall bootmii afterwards.

cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've been messing with this stuff for a couple hours now...this is where I'm at. I got Wadmanager working, so I went and reinstalled all the WAD files from the update sticky. I did the IOS15 downgrade and was able to install Bootmii. I've been trying to install Preloader .30 but it keeps saying "failed to get root, aborting mission". I can't figure this out...I tried the .29 version with the JODI hack, but then it says IOS36 has trucha bug fixed. I thought it had the trucha bug when doing IOS15 downgrade. I haven't installed cIOSCORP 3.6 yet. I guess if I installed preloader, installing cIOSCROP would kill it anyway right? I'd have to reinstall it again.

seb77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If your IOS15 is downgraded you need to use Dop_IOS Mod or Trucha Bug restorer to put the trucha bug back in IOS36.

To do this you'll have to:

- Use IOS15 in the first menu then choose IOS36 menu and use theses settings:

Install IOS to slot (36)
Hash check (trucha) YES
ES_Identity YES
NAND Permissions YES

- Then, go up and choose "install a patched IOS36"

- Use the NUS option to download and patch IOS36 with Dop-IOS Mod (sd card loading is buggy in the last version) or put IOS36-64-v3351.wad on the root of your SD card if you're using Trucha bug restorer and patch it.

- Restart Dop-IOS Mod. Use IOS36 and restore IOS15

Now you have a patched IOS36 and you can install what you want.

Installing cIOSCorp will not erase preloader. It overwrites your IOSes. Preloader places itself in boot sequence before the system menu.

Use Priiloader. Its a modded preloader...

Priiloader - Wiibrew

Hopes this will help you.

cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seb77 said:
If your IOS15 is downgraded you need to use Dop_IOS Mod or Trucha Bug restorer to put the trucha bug back in IOS36.

To do this you'll have to:

- Use IOS15 in the first menu then choose IOS36 menu and use theses settings:

Install IOS to slot (36)
Hash check (trucha) YES
ES_Identity YES
NAND Permissions YES

- Then, go up and choose "install a patched IOS36"

- Use the NUS option to download and patch IOS36 with Dop-IOS Mod (sd card loading is buggy in the last version) or put IOS36-64-v3351.wad on the root of your SD card if you're using Trucha bug restorer and patch it.

- Restart Dop-IOS Mod. Use IOS36 and restore IOS15

Now you have a patched IOS36 and you can install what you want.

Installing cIOSCorp will not erase preloader. It overwrites your IOSes. Preloader places itself in boot sequence before the system menu.

Use Priiloader. Its a modded preloader...

Priiloader - Wiibrew

Hopes this will help you.

Awesome thanks...that did it. I didn't restore IOS15. I'll look into Priiloader...haven't read much about it. Is it better than Preloader?

seb77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good.

If you want to be up to date with all your IOSes you'll have to restore IOS15 to its last version.

And check for stubbed IOS since you've upgraded once with nintendo. Remove them and reinstall the cIOS (222,223,249 and/or 250) you want.

I suggest you to enable "block online update" and "block disc update" in preloader/priiloader options.

As they say on their website, wiibrew recommends that you do not update your Wii through Nintendo.

Very good advice.

cheers !

Patryc

Trophies
XP
Country
seb77 said:
The only thing that could stop you to install bootmii is if your wii is running the new version of boot1.

If everything else works... don't worry and be happy... ;-)

And official formatting wipes just saves and installed channels.

Use TitleLister to know what titles and what IOSes are installed on your console

Title Lister

It will create a .txt files on your SD file with a list of titles/IOS and their respective versions.

Do you have cIOSCorp installed ? Maybe hackmii don't want to install because of the custom IOS36...

Do your homebrew channel is upside down ?

If I update via Nintendo to 4.2 will my boot 2 still be there? Can it be overwritten by an update?

Patryc

Trophies
XP
Country
longtom1 said:
it will update your boot2 but you can still reinstall bootmii to boot2 if you could before

Thanks for your help. Yes, I could before. I just wondered if there was any negatives to having my boot 2 updated?

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to create an patched version of the boot 2 to patch the version number to be the highest version? If we can create a boot2 with the highest version number possible before install it should enable us to install bootmii to this maxed out boot2 version and therefore thwart Nintendo's update methods........

Patryc

Trophies
XP
Country
What is the difference between boot2 version 2, 3 & 4? Is there any advantage to having either one of them installed?

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
cokeman118 said:
i've been messing with this stuff for a couple hours now...this is where I'm at. I got Wadmanager working, so I went and reinstalled all the WAD files from the update sticky. I did the IOS15 downgrade and was able to install Bootmii. I've been trying to install Preloader .30 but it keeps saying "failed to get root, aborting mission". I can't figure this out...I tried the .29 version with the JODI hack, but then it says IOS36 has trucha bug fixed. I thought it had the trucha bug when doing IOS15 downgrade. I haven't installed cIOSCORP 3.6 yet. I guess if I installed preloader, installing cIOSCROP would kill it anyway right? I'd have to reinstall it again.
Did you apply the ES_Identify patch when installing the patched IOS36 via TBR?

If not, then that's why preloader won't install.

But if you can install cIOSCORP v3.6, you'll be fine. cIOSCORP v3.6's cIOS36 already has all the needed patches, and it doesn't delete preloader.
But make sure you have installed cIOS249 before installing cIOSCORP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch