3DSXL hardmod not being recognized by Windows

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TheReturningVoid, Apr 21, 2016.

1. TheReturningVoid
    OP

TheReturningVoid 0xAAAAAAAA

Oct 2, 2014
    /dev/urandom
    Hello all,

I seem to be having problems with a 3DSXL hardmod I've been trying to do. For some reason, Windows won't detect the SD Card when it's inserted into the computer. I'm using this reader (had to get it off ebay because Amazon won't ship to aus), and Windows seems to have no problem detecting other cards with the reader. The bootrom error I'm getting when the SD Adapter is in the reader is "00F800FE 00000000 00000000 00000200 00000000", which, according to 3dbrew, means "Error when having SD-card reader connected to NAND during boot", which sounds about right. I've tried this on Arch Linux, Windows XP and Windows 10, without any working at all.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this could be happening, or is the console RIP?

Thanks in advance!

2. TheDuckMan64

TheDuckMan64 Chicken nugget.

Oct 9, 2015
    Could you post some pics (bootrom error, wiring setup etc)?

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Maybe your wires are too long. Also, are you sure all the wires are soldered correctly and nothing is bridged?

TheDuckMan64 likes this.
  4. enarky

enarky owls?

GBAtemp Patron
    enarky is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    Detecting, as it's not getting a letter assigned or detecting as it's not being recognized as drive? It won't get mounted, as there's no regular Filesystem on it. I assume you should see it in the imaging software of your choice as an unassigned drive on Windows. On OSX you'll see it as diskX with "diskutil list", on Linux it should be visible as a ~900 MByte device when you do a "sudo fdisk -l".

Last edited by enarky, Apr 21, 2016
    TheDuckMan64 likes this.
  5. TheReturningVoid
    OP

Oct 2, 2014
    /dev/urandom
    "sudo fdisk -l" isn't showing the device. I tested it on another MacBook, and "diskutil list" didn't show it either. Attempting to view the F: or D: drive from the reader on Windows just says "Please insert a disk into drive F/D:".

I've checked continuity with a multimeter from the board to the SD Adapter, and it's all fine.

6. TheDuckMan64

TheDuckMan64 Chicken nugget.

Oct 9, 2015
    What sd card adapter are you using? Some people have reported that certain ones (knockoff big name brand ones) will not be detected by any OS.

7. axemurderer

axemurderer GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2014
    United States
    Hoenn nostalgia town
    It looks like you got the wrong card reader. the manufacturer's reference number is different on the eBay page than the confirmed working one from Amazon.

8. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Holy shit that card is expensive a real one is only 8 USD

9. TheReturningVoid
    OP

Oct 2, 2014
    /dev/urandom
    The console started bootrom erroring without the adapter in the reader, so I think the console is gone. One of the contacts on the NAND came out with the wire when I accidentally bumped it off the table, so I think it's irreparable. Thanks for the help anyway guys!

10. Popeyess

Popeyess Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2016
    Indonesia
    Upload the picture of the board, there still a way to fix the track if we know the track

What pad is lift? Is clk pad?

11. TheReturningVoid
    OP

Oct 2, 2014
    /dev/urandom
    I don't have any pics or the console anymore (it was a friend's), sorry.