3DSI - What gb size and class is compatible?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jwmghf, Jul 11, 2012.

1. jwmghf
    OP

jwmghf Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2010
    United States
    Hey guys:

That's basically it. I know there are a bunch of high quality cards out there to choose from and that Sandisk is the favorite. I am just wondering if size and the class of the micro sd matters??? I was looking at the 32gb cards and at a class of 6 or 10.

Thanks

2. Kyouhei

Kyouhei Official 任天堂 Lover

Aug 18, 2011
    If you are referring to Upgrading the SD card packaged with your 3DS then Avoid sandisk/kingston. Get yourself a Toshiba 32GB SDHC(NOT micro-SDHC)

If you are reffering to using a flashcart... Sandisk 32GB is the best you can get. I dont understand this "Class" talk much. but if you are shopping for a MicroSD(HC) get a sandisk 32GB.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    SD card Classes essentially refer to the speed at which they transfer data, with class 10 being fastest and...well I guess class 1 being slowest haha. So basically he should get a 32GB class 10 card.

4. Jarathaxe

Jarathaxe Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2011
    United States
    right now I've got a class 4 16 gig in mine. not sure if a 32 GB will work. Why such a large card size though?

5. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
    the higer the class the faster the card.
    and lol 3DSI
    it should be the same as the regular 3ds.

6. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Class 4 is basically minimum, while Class 6 is very good.

2GB will hold a few videos, a few songs, and maybe 20 games.

Therefore, 8GB should be enough if you're not download-crazy.

7. jwmghf
    OP

jwmghf Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2010
    United States
    Thanks for all the answers guys!!!! It's for a flashcart.

I'm just thinking for down the road if and when the 3D games are hacked. They are much larger than the regular games. My son has a ton of games loaded on his Dsi-XL. This way I can copy over all the current games and most importantly the game saves. He watches movies on it. He got a bunch of songs and videos etc... That's the reason for a stupid big sdhc. I just don't know if it will recognize a 32gb and/or a class 6 or higher? I have a normal micro sd (class 0 if you ask me!) in it now. When I have to move things from the computer to the card it takes forever. I feel the need for SPEED!!!!!

8. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    The Class of the card indicates the read/write speed of the card so as previous posters have pointed out the higher the class number the faster the card will operate.

So if you are gonna use a large microSD then the higher the class the better.

9. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Class measures the write speed. Read speed (which is what's important for flash carts) is only inferred in that a higher-class card is usually made to higher standards and that indirectly leads to higher read speeds.

1 person likes this.
  10. jwmghf
    OP

jwmghf Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2010
    United States
    So a class 10 should work fine right? The 3DS is only gonna read it as fast as it is capable of, even if the card could be read faster? I just want to get it out of my computer as quickly as possible.,

11. Jarathaxe

Jarathaxe Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, same as if you plugged a usb 2.0 speed device into a computer that can only read 1.0. it'll still work just at the slower speed.

1 person likes this.
  12. Anon10W1z

Anon10W1z GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Yeah, it should work.

13. jwmghf
    OP

jwmghf Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2010
    United States
    Thanks Guys!!!

14. bluerotkev

bluerotkev Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2012
    The 3DS aren't that much bigger, 512mb and 1024mb seems to be the normal size in the collection so a decent 32gb micro sd, Samsungs Class 10 32gb is £22.00 on amazon.co.uk will hold between 30 and 40 games. Just leave a gig or so for saves etc.