Hardware 3DS XL's circle pad is a bit... rough

badnat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought an XL (yesterday) and seem to have gotten a good unit... but for the fact that the circle pad feels a little rough. Like there's too much friction I'm working against. Whereas my old 3DS's pad was smooth.

It's not a huge problem, just slightly annoying, as I feel I don't get a completely unhindered circular motion...

Anyone else experience the same with the XL?

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't have an XL, but I have tried it in stores. AFAIK, it seems pretty smooth to me. Maybe you could drop by Gamestop or something and try out their demo unit to see if there is a diff? :)

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As the force that centers the circle pad should come from some sort of elastic material like spings or something (I don't know the actual assembly of the circle pad atm) its force should weaken with use and possibly age. So breaking it in will work very possibly.
My new 3DS XL circle pad feels fine, but I had no 3DS before and only played it a bit in stores and with the 3DS of my roommate, so I can't really tell if there is any difference.

badnat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the force that centers the circle pad should come from some sort of elastic material like spings or something (I don't know the actual assembly of the circle pad atm) its force should weaken with use and possibly age. So breaking it in will work very possibly.
My new 3DS XL circle pad feels fine, but I had no 3DS before and only played it a bit in stores and with the 3DS of my roommate, so I can't really tell if there is any difference.
See it's not about the elasticity or "tendency" to return to the center or w/e that's stiffer... It's like the surface that the pad rests against isn't as smooth. Sort of like going from a smooth mouse pad to a rougher one. On the rougher surface it's easier to "catch" against versus a resistance-less glide.

I don't know if I'm crazy or what; it's not like there's really a functionality problem at all. It's just a nearly constant annoyance right now. I wonder if it's the matte finish (which the pad also rests upon).

I wonder if there's some sort of simple mechanical fix I can perform...

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
See it's not about the elasticity or "tendency" to return to the center or w/e that's stiffer... It's like the surface that the pad rests against isn't as smooth. Sort of like going from a smooth mouse pad to a rougher one. On the rougher surface it's easier to "catch" against versus a resistance-less glide.

I don't know if I'm crazy or what; it's not like there's really a functionality problem at all. It's just a nearly constant annoyance right now. I wonder if it's the matte finish (which the pad also rests upon).

I wonder if there's some sort of simple mechanical fix I can perform...

Ah I understand now what you mean. I don't if there could be an easy mechanical fix, I did not open up my 3DS XL yet look at the insides. But I don't think you'll simply be able to straighten it out with usage.
Before you try anything like this you should talk to the Nintendo customer support, if it is a fairly common issue they should be able to tell some kind of solution.

badnat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I went back to the store and tried out the demo unit... seemed to be a lot smoother. Had them open up another XL for a potential exchange and circle pad was at least a bad as mine... came to the conclusion it's just an XL issue and may improve with use.

Primenay13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine is fine now, but if I remember right I think mine was stiff like this and I worried just as you did. I'm pretty sure its normal don't get too worked up about it. I tend to do that alot and need to stop it lol.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i did notice a difference coming from the original 3DS. The 3DS XL's circle pad felt less elastic but no friction...
Try another unit if u get a chance...thats all i can say.

Diego Liberal

Old School Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mine had this friction you mentioned, it was at 7: O'Clock direction, it were hard as F*** to make it move on that direction, it just fixed after playing with it a lot and when i was bored, keep making circles very quickly and non stop everyday for some days.

I guess something was out of place inside it o-o

Reactions: irondoom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock