3DS XL - won't turn on

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by VashTS, Feb 14, 2017.

1. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron
    VashTS is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    Hi everyone. I've yet to crack it open but I acquired a broken 3DS today.

The charging light comes on but the power does not work. I tried with and without battery in and it will not turn on at all.

I haven't checked with a new battery (but will later) and I can't check voltage (but again will later) but the weird thing is that if I mess with the power plug and pull it out slowly and wiggle it, the power light DOES come on for a split second and is red - as though the battery is not charged.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Until more tests I can't confirm anything obviously, but does this sound like maybe a fuse is blown so its not supplying the battery with power?

2. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Try manually charging the battery or charging it via another unit then see if that charged one powers it on else it mainly sounds like a fuse is blown.

VashTS likes this.
  3. N64

N64 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    either fuse blown or power switch broken

VashTS likes this.
  4. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    ill have more info when i get home to test - im at work right now, with only bare minimum tools. but im thinking its the power port that might be the issue.

5. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    weird new issue - after fooling with the plug for a minute, the orange charging light stays on, though its dimmer than when its plugged in.

strange.

6. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    If I remember correct from reading older posts, it's a busted battery. It's trying to get charge, but it gets so little the led only slightly turns on.

7. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Sounds like more than one fuse is blown, maybe a chain reaction after mis-use of charger?

8. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    That would be great! going to test within the next hour when i get home. the light eventually did go out after a few minutes of being unplugged.

there is some damage to the plastic near the R button - I'm wondering if maybe it was dropped and something else broke. I know nothing about this system just picked it up for cheap today as parts (screens look to be fine and other plastics are in good shape). new top screen would've been about the same cost as what i paid for this thing and i got a charger with it :)

i'll post back if the replacement battery works

9. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    it was the battery! replaced and working fine except for the charging light issue - its on and staying on for some weird reason...

i hope it goes off at some point but has been running for at least 10 minutes now with it still on.

its on 11.2 :)

10. Trylk248

Trylk248 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    That's why you should never take a "refurbished" neither "used" 3DS, it can lead to these kind of issues.

11. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    light is still on after charging all night...adding a9lh now. was hoping to trade this sucker to gamestop but with the charge light staying on im not sure they will take it...

12. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    so i let the battery drain until the light was off so it was 100% dead. plugged in charger and light stays on whether its plugged in or unplugged.

kinda sucks and nothing online indicates this is a known issue or what could be the cause and possible fix. i'm confident its because i was playing with the charging cable yesterday because i was too impatient to wait for a new battery to test :(