Hacking 3DS XL won't power on

sgtkwol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having my friend do the USB NAND mod, he went to school for that kind of thing, and now my 3DS won't power on. Removed all of the wires and solder, still won't power on. I pulled it apart and put it back together and managed to get it to power on the morning after for a few minutes, I shift a bit, and it turned off again. Later, I got it powered up briefly, but the screen was still mostly closed, I adjust the screen angle, as soon as it clicked, it went out again. I tried leaving everything without battery/power for 24 hours, but did not help. The charging LED comes on, when plugged in, but it will not power on. I've checked the main board with a magnifying glass/light for possible excess solder and see no flaws.

Sorry for the wall of text, but figured I would get any and all info available out there. I really want to get this fixed, as spending $200 for a paperweight is not good.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
sounds like the LCD ribbon cable is either loose or torn, try opening it all up and making sure the LCD ribbon cables are seated properly

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be the speaker ribbon. Or since its an xl something could have happened to the p6 connector. That one seems to be seriously fragile for some odd reason.

sgtkwol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be the speaker ribbon. Or since its an xl something could have happened to the p6 connector. That one seems to be seriously fragile for some odd reason.

Didn't touch the ribbon cables until it wouldn't power on. But the clip for audio did dislodge when I opened it. When I tried to put it back in place, it pretty much shattered. What is the p6 connector? Any info on how I could fix it?

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its one of the connectors for a flex cable i believe. I dont really know I just know from reading that sometimes they break real easy. However if your ribbon basically shattered that was the problem.

sgtkwol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That all happened after it wouldn't power on. Is the audio switch required for the 3DS XL to power on?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i doubt the audio switch would be "needed"
did you try re-seating the ribbon cables? it definatly sounds like they are loose, i.e it powering on if the lid is virtually closed, i suggest you just remover the motherboard and make sure you get all the ribbon cables firmly inserted...it helps to do this with the 3ds folded out flat

sgtkwol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to double post, but hoping someone can help reverse a $200+ mistake. All ribbon cables are secure, except the audio. Any other suggestions, tests, places to look? I would even be willing to arrange for someone more experienced to diagnose/repair, if needed (with compensation, of course).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Post some good quality pictures of it so people can have a look, could be that you damaged a trace when soldering to it, pictures that could be helpful would be shots from around where you installed the nand mod,a picture of the audio wire damage, and possibly One from by the ribbon cables

A good way of diagnosing would be if you have another Xl to put the motherboard in to try isolate the issue, as it genuinely does sound like a loose ribbon cable(but you said you already checked them) or a torn ribbon cable, it has the same symptoms as that anyway

sgtkwol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I double checked cables, the one by the microphone seems to have an issue, not the microphone cable, itself. Any idea what that one is called, so I can replace it?

2. Any idea on where to get replacement ribbon cable clips, as it completely broke off of the audio control.

3. Can a 3DS XL work without the audio ribbon cable connected? Anyone willing to test on a working 3DS XL to rule it out?

ldvUH3C.jpg

til0Eeq.jpg

[/spolier]

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will not work without the audio cable. The speaker ribbon on the regular 3ds is notorious for causing the problem you are having

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesnt look like a scratch to me. That looks like a damn hole. Theres definitely a micro tear there. You cant see micro tears bud you have to have a microscope. Damn i was sure with your description it was the speaker ribbon. I even went and found a youtube video to see if yours was doing the same thing.

sgtkwol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info with audio. Can I replace just the ribbon, or do I need to replace the whole screen?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all