3DS XL top screen not working

AchakClaw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've owned my Nintendo 3DS XL (Blue, serial starts with SW) since 2014 and today it has taken another drop (on carpet) and now the top screen fails to turn on. I've tried to leave the 3DS off for a while or reboot it, but those don't work. Do I have to take this apart to see what the issue is?

The 3DS is currently in rough shape, it's been through a lot since I got it.

I have to replace the bottom screen with deep scratches, the battery (since it's getting a bit puffy), and the shell. I've uploaded an image of the current state of the console.

EDIT: I've noticed that there is a backlight to the top screen, but other than that nothing else.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 75
Last edited by AchakClaw,

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that maybe it's time to get the whole thing repaired..

Have you made any backups to the sd card recently? If you're willing to lose recent in gane progress (unless you back up your current sd card state) then rollback to that backup. Have any files changes? Is the 3ds properly charged?

AchakClaw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that maybe it's time to get the whole thing repaired..

Have you made any backups to the sd card recently? If you're willing to lose recent in gane progress (unless you back up your current sd card state) then rollback to that backup. Have any files changes? Is the 3ds properly charged?
I have not made any recent back-ups, no. There are always file changes, because I move things around, copy, delete, make and delete directories almost every day. I use my 3DS a lot, the battery life isn't the best. My graphing calculator's battery lasts longer than my 3DS's.

Are there any good places to get it repaired? I live in the western US. I can't send this to Nintendo sadly.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Either the cable for upper screen picture is loose/torn or the screen gave up because of the hit (in most cases there are visible see cracks and strange colors, but not every time when a screen fails because of drop damage).
First thing would be carefully opening this thing to reseat the cable.

Backup any important data BEFORE attempting a repair.
====

Since 3DS are out of production it is worth trying to salvage every single one of them. Parts, even if you need multiple at a time aren't too expensive. (replaced upper screen, touch panel and loudspeaker cable in one console and this made sense from financial point of view; for the case somebody answers with: Just buy another one)

Be aware that a shell swap is difficult. Refer to ifixit.com for repair guides. There are some usable videos out there as well -- good in addition.

Good luck!

AchakClaw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either the cable for upper screen picture is loose/torn or the screen gave up because of the hit (in most cases there are visible see cracks and strange colors, but not every time when a screen fails because of drop damage).
First thing would be carefully opening this thing to reseat the cable.

Backup any important data BEFORE attempting a repair.
====

Since 3DS are out of production it is worth trying to salvage every single one of them. Parts, even if you need multiple at a time aren't too expensive. (replaced upper screen, touch panel and loudspeaker cable in one console and this made sense from financial point of view; for the case somebody answers with: Just buy another one)

Be aware that a shell swap is difficult. Refer to ifixit.com for repair guides. There are some usable videos out there as well -- good in addition.

Good luck!
Since 2014, I've never dropped it hard enough for any cracks, so that's good. I've never noticed any discoloration or anything on both screens, so that's a good sign.

What's the best way of backing up if I can't see the top screen and use checkpoint?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since 2014, I've never dropped it hard enough for any cracks, so that's good. I've never noticed any discoloration or anything on both screens, so that's a good sign.

What's the best way of backing up if I can't see the top screen and use checkpoint?
Open Checkpoint and wait a minute for it to finish loading all titles.
Then hold (Y) for some seconds to select all titles.
Press (L) to start backup. Progress/filenames would be on upper screen, but both get screens get dimmed (darker colors, not weaker backlight) and the lower screen should (hopefully) give a success message after a while. If it crashes for one title, you have a problem since you can't see which one.
=======
Confirm the message, press (X) to go to extdata page (if any titles with extdata). Should work the same as with normal save data

AchakClaw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Open Checkpoint and wait a minute for it to finish loading all titles.
Then hold (Y) for some seconds to select all titles.
Press (L) to start backup. Progress/filenames would be on upper screen, but both get screens get dimmed (darker colors, not weaker backlight) and the lower screen should (hopefully) give a success message after a while. If it crashes for one title, you have a problem since you can't see which one.
=======
Confirm the message, press (X) to go to extdata page (if any titles with extdata). Should work the same as with normal save data
So I did that, I should be good for game save data, right? If so, is it now time to take this apart?

EDIT: I'll be using this guide to take it apart: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+3DS+XL+Upper+LCD+Display+Replacement/25070

AchakClaw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am trying to put my 3DS back together. I know where one of the three ribbon cables go back, but I don’t know where these other two go.

Attachments

• D2AFFA64-5E2C-415E-A5BB-D647D0B9E337.jpeg
    D2AFFA64-5E2C-415E-A5BB-D647D0B9E337.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello