Hardware 3DS XL speakers sound uneven.. opinions?

generic_1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picked up a blue 3DS XL yesterday, and I swear there's a problem with the speakers. It just feels like the left one is a bit louder than the right, as if there's a 60/40 balance as opposed to 50/50. It's just enough to bother me a bit. Half the time I think I'm imagining it and half the time I swear it's there. I've tried headphones and it seems perfectly fine to me when I do. Tried on Surround and Stereo. Has anyone else heard of or had this issue?

I'm thinking of exchanging the system, but I'm reluctant because I haven't had any of the other known issues.. loose hinge, yellow tint, etc. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. Also, if I do exchange it, should I bother doing a system transfer and all that? This is my first 3DS so I didn't transfer anything to it. Thanks in advance.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't own an XL but it could just be your left ear being stronger / more sensitive than your right. Try handing the 3DS to a friend(s) (the more people the better) etc. and ask them which side sounds stronger (without a forewarning), if they say right or no difference it's probably just your ears. :P

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Have you experimented with the sound channel options(surround, stereo, mono)? That may help some.
If it doesn't, my advice is to wait a couple of days and see if the sound still bothers you, then return it if it does.

As far as transferring, I can't see what you stand to gain if you have no games or precious system data built up -- and it takes about 25 minutes so you may want to skip. Don't forget to register the coins though!. (you can keep them for both systems)

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you what I noticed?

The XL speakers are even bigger crap if compared to the old ones T-T Nintendo where's ma quality speakers?

there should be a mono option somewhere, I've used it once.

Reactions: 1 person

generic_1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually think the speakers sound nice, besides being too low. I tried the mono setting, and although it seems to work, I do prefer being able to have a stereo effect.

generic_1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oooh. I didn't register the 3DS yet. You think I should register it even if I plan on returning it?

As for other issues, most people are complaning about a yellowish tint on the top screen. Some of those people say the tint gets better over time as the glue dries. That's the most unusual issue.. the others are things like.. dead pixels, buttons not working right, loose hinges, etc.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Off topic, But I plan to get one tomorow, what are all these issues everyone is talking about?
Every new system has problems. Just remember the vocal minority (people with bad systems) don't represent reality (the satisfied majority that are busy playing and have nothing to complain about).

Mine was perfect. I've had incredible luck with no stuck pixels or anything with any of the stuff I've bought in the last 3 years. :)

@generic YES! :O

generic_1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Off topic, But I plan to get one tomorow, what are all these issues everyone is talking about?
Every new system has problems. Just remember the vocal minority (people with bad systems) don't represent reality (the satisfied majority that are busy playing and have nothing to complain about).

Mine was perfect. I've had incredible luck with no stuck pixels or anything with any of the stuff I've bought in the last 3 years. :)

@generic YES! :O

You're very lucky. When I got the first DS Phat, I had to exchange it three times in order to get one I was satisfied with, and even THAT one had a dead pixel! It was just in a less obvious spot. Well, thanks for the coins advice, if I end up exchanging it I'll definitely do that!

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
In order to make the screen much bigger and maintaining the size of around the DSi XL, they had to switch to smaller, rectangular speakers.

This might explain why those shit are soft, but mine are still OK.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country

I have one. No issues at all; don't worry about it. Some people on GBAtemp are trying so hard to find a way to complain. I mean really, have you seen that "jittery stylus" thread?
Get one.
The jitter stuff isn't an issue in my eye's. More of like a glitch, And I love glitches as long as the are controllable and doesn't ruin your experience with the game/console.
Remember the DS wifi secret button?

Anyway my 3DSXL speakers are 50/50. Only thing I dislike is the low volume. But hey I have headphones for that. (even though I think the headphone jack on the XL isn't as good placed as the 3DS)

Reactions: 1 person

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

I have one. No issues at all; don't worry about it. Some people on GBAtemp are trying so hard to find a way to complain. I mean really, have you seen that "jittery stylus" thread?
Get one.
The jitter stuff isn't an issue in my eye's. More of like a glitch, And I love glitches as long as the are controllable and doesn't ruin your experience with the game/console.
Remember the DS wifi secret button?

Anyway my 3DSXL speakers are 50/50. Only thing I dislike is the low volume. But hey I have headphones for that. (even though I think the headphone jack on the XL isn't as good placed as the 3DS)
I prefer the headphone jack to be in the middle.
Remember that "face" the 3DS had?

Speakers are a bit soft, but balanced.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh