3DS XL shutdowns on boot

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by EthanAddict, May 21, 2017.

1. EthanAddict
    OP

EthanAddict Founder of Skiddon't-ism

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    The title sais it all. I had an accident(?) and, when I try to boot my 3DS,tried pressing Select and other keys, I am greeted by a blue light and after a second it closes. At first I thought the 3DS updated to 11.4 silently, so I updated Luma to 7.0.5. After that, doing the same drill, I can see for a fraction of a second the Luma configuration menu and then instant shutdown, again.

Before that happened, my bottom screen half of it was black and the other had weird vertical lines, possibly broken, so I could barely see the homemenu. It is also worth mentioning that it's brightness was incrementing, unless I closed the lid, which had a possibility of shutdown.

It seems that it is a hardware problem, maybe a component which is shorted and makes the 3DS fail at boot. Any suggestion?

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    It sounds like something shorted in the system. It's not emitting any burning smells or any kind of off putting smells is it? It could also be a loose cable in there as well.

3. EthanAddict
    OP

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    Nope, no smoke, sparks etc. Also opened the motherboard, everything in place, ribbon cables OK.

4. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Nothing loose or any burn marks? I know Nintendo products are stupidly picky with loose parts and one thing even remotely loose with the 3DS can cause issues.
    I had an issue over the summer were there loose wireless card and wifi antenna completely fucked my 3ds until I fixed it.
    http://gbatemp.net/entry/3ds-repairs.11371/
    Still this sounds like a hardware, but without being able to open the system myself. The best I can do is try to give some suggestions. Like checking all of the solder points and making sure every cable isn't damaged (I know you said the cables weren't damaged, but that's just an example.)

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, May 21, 2017
  5. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    If you hear a click or pop sound (turn up the volume), it means your screen needs to be replaced.

6. EthanAddict
    OP

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    I'll try without the wifi card, I checked for the solder points, I saw nothing(at least major) on both sides...

Volume at max, nothing

7. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    In cases like this, I normally just check everything. With my case, it started out as just a matter of gently pressing the wireless card back into place (then other issues, but I digress and have a blog on that.)
    The screen could also be the be the issue and may just need to buy a new screen. Which has it's plus side. If it's not the screen, you have a replacement screen for later! If it was the screen, you fixed your issue!
    Downside is obviously there's still an issue it doesn't work.

8. EthanAddict
    OP

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    But can a faulty screen make the 3DS shutdown? I find this a bit extraordinary, but I'll try it...

9. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Possibly,(I am not 100% sure.) I know Nintendo loves to make every part of their system codependent on each part working. So if one thing falls, they all fall. I know with the DS for example, the system won't even boot if any of the screens were disconnected.

10. EthanAddict
    OP

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    Disassembled, disconnected screen, same, Wireless communication card, same, everything, same. Something tells me that an inner wafer or the graphics chip was damaged, because it shutdown when the screen init. Send motherboard pictures?

11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Pictures might help us out a bit more.

12. EthanAddict
    OP

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
  13. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    What happened to your charger port? It's all beat up.

14. EthanAddict
    OP

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    The port is OK, it charges just fine