Hardware Hacking Homebrew 3DS Won't boot after Splash Screen

TheYellowInkling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi I'm trying to boot up my hacked Old 3DS but when it pasts the Splash Screen it just stays on a black screen and doesn't boot to the home menu. I tried everything on the 3DS Hacks Guide site but non of the solutions I tried worked for me. How do I fix this?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi I'm trying to boot up my hacked Old 3DS but when it pasts the Splash Screen it just stays on a black screen and doesn't boot to the home menu. I tried everything on the 3DS Hacks Guide site but non of the solutions I tried worked for me. How do I fix this?
Provide an empty, FAT32 formatted and h2test/F3 checked SD – :!: Don't skip the check :!: – containing only latest Luma3DS boot.firm and see if you get your console to use the boot file. This means: Luma3DS settings saying "Booted from SD via B9S" on the very bottom.

if that is the case you can start trouble shooting by preparing an SD like explained on the guide:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/restoring-updating-cfw

Assuming you can now boot into latest GodMode9:
Start with creating a NAND image and store this image on your computer. This can become very important even if the current status is bricked so please don't skip it. Even though the know camera problem is an N3DSXL thing, please try Safe Mode / Recovery Mode without SD or with your secondary SD prepared like on the guide.

On the hardware side it could be a problem related to the WiFi chip – but it has to be at least partially working – else you wouldn't see a splash (3DS does not even attempt to boot without WiFi chip). Reseating or trying a spare WiFi board might be worth a shot if software troubleshooting doesn't go anywhere. Keep it in mind for later.

TheYellowInkling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Provide an empty, FAT32 formatted and h2test/F3 checked SD – :!: Don't skip the check :!: – containing only latest Luma3DS boot.firm and see if you get your console to use the boot file. This means: Luma3DS settings saying "Booted from SD via B9S" on the very bottom.

if that is the case you can start trouble shooting by preparing an SD like explained on the guide:
(i had to remove the link cause GBATemp won't let me post this without any links lol)

Assuming you can now boot into latest GodMode9:
Start with creating a NAND image and store this image on your computer. This can become very important even if the current status is bricked so please don't skip it. Even though the know camera problem is an N3DSXL thing, please try Safe Mode / Recovery Mode without SD or with your secondary SD prepared like on the guide.

On the hardware side it could be a problem related to the WiFi chip – but it has to be at least partially working – else you wouldn't see a splash (3DS does not even attempt to boot without WiFi chip). Reseating or trying a spare WiFi board might be worth a shot if software troubleshooting doesn't go anywhere. Keep it in mind for later.
Ok so I tried everything you asked me but it still didn't work. I tried using a Different SD Card with the boot.firm file in there but i still didn't get into the Home Screen. I tried following that guide you linked but even that didn't work as well. I am able to boot into Luma and GodMode9 Fine enough and I did the NAND Backup fine enough at least but the essential.exefs didn't create for some reason. I was able to get into Safe Mode/Recovery Mode fine but everytime I try to update it it says that the 3DS is up to date even with the SD Card I use for my 3DS, The Secondary SD Card and without the SD Card. And I don't think It's the WiFi chip cause it connected to the internet fine during recovery mode and I at least booted past the splash screen until the Black screen appeared, But Even if it is the WiFi Chip I won't be able to replace it since I don't have the tools I need to get inside the 3DS.

Any other Solutions?

• Wow
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is surprise. I didn't think recovery mode would work. I only know this from "new" models (bad camera).

Sadly the grandmaster of 3DS topics (TurdPooCharger) seems to have left GBAtemp for good.
And I don't think It's the WiFi chip cause it connected to the internet fine during recovery mode
There is some data for the DS(i) WiFi connections, user profile and the like on that chip. Corruption in this regard has caused random issues before. Again: It wouldn't even attempt to boot if the WiFi board was hardware damaged (no recovery, no Luma settings, no GodMode9).

I've no idea what is going on. The first thing everybody will blindly advise is CTRTransfer or CTRTransfer Type D9 (look below)

Trying to fix software related problems:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-9#post-8550543
https://gbatemp.net/threads/cfw-2ds-xl-has-black-screen-on-bootup-and-cant-get-to-home-menu.539586/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/black-screen-at-the-start-of-the-3ds.543980/page-3#post-8763629

TheYellowInkling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think I know where that bug is that's causing my 3DS to not boot. It's in the sysdata folder and the folder I deleted that managed to boot me back to the home menu is 000100017 but that practically deletes all my data that's on my 3DS (Apps and stuff) but I think I'm getting close.

Do you have a Discord? We could chat about it and see if we can get into my 3DS and maybe I can explain the problem a bit better.

TheYellowInkling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
That is surprise. I didn't think recovery mode would work. I only know this from "new" models (bad camera).

Sadly the grandmaster of 3DS topics (TurdPooCharger) seems to have left GBAtemp for good.

There is some data for the DS(i) WiFi connections, user profile and the like on that chip. Corruption in this regard has caused random issues before. Again: It wouldn't even attempt to boot if the WiFi board was hardware damaged (no recovery, no Luma settings, no GodMode9).

I've no idea what is going on. The first thing everybody will blindly advise is CTRTransfer or CTRTransfer Type D9 (look below)
I tried the 3rd link's solution and I think I know where that bug is that's causing my 3DS to not boot. It's in the sysdata folder and the folder I deleted that managed to boot me back to the home menu is 000100017 but that practically deletes all my data that's on my 3DS (Apps and stuff) but I think I'm getting close.

Here is a list I made of all the folders I deleted:
  • 0001000f - No
  • 00010011 - No
  • 00010015 - No
  • 00010017 - Maybe (Boots into a first time setup screen and managed to get to the Home Menu but all my apps doesn't show up even knew they are still on the SD Card
  • 00010022 - Maybe (Boots into Home Menu but it Resets Data settings on 3DS Apps are still on SD Card)
  • 00010026 - No
  • 0001002c - No (Does the same as 00010022)
  • 00010032 - No
  • 00010034 - No
  • 00010035 - No
  • 00010038 - No
  • 00010040 - No
  • 00010098 - Maybe (Showed a "Opening the Home Menu" Progress Window and booted to home menu but all my apps was gone but data is still on the SD Card)
  • 0001009b - No
  • 0001009c - No
  • 0001009d - No
  • 0001009f - No
  • 000200be - No
  • 000200c5 - No
  • 000200c6 - No
  • 00020220 - No
  • 00020222 - No
  • 00020224 - No
  • 00020225 - No
  • 00020227 - No
  • 00020228 - No
  • 00020229 - No
  • 0002022a - No
  • 0002022d - No
  • 0002022e - No
  • 000202c1 - No

I think one of these Folder could be the one but I'm not too sure cause my apps didn't show up but at least they are not deleted and are still shown in the System Settings but they are greyed out with a X next to them.

If you know what the problem is and know how to get my data working on the 3DS again let me know.

Also Do you have a Discord? We could chat about it and see if we can get into my 3DS and maybe I can explain the problem a bit better.

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this happen once, i just copied everything off my SD that I wanted to keep to my pc, reformatted the SD card, redid all the CFW shenanigans, then copied back all the files i saved to my pc back, fixed it for me. Never figured out what actually broke tho, but it's good for a last ditch effort! XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: