3DS SD compatibility chart for CFW

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by taggart6, Jun 5, 2016.

1. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    I've noticed that my sandisk 64gb class 10 sd card is 20x slower then my PNY 64gb class 10 card in my n3ds with a9lh running Luma3ds on sysnand

Reformatting and sector repairs did nothing to resolve this. My guess is that some sd cards muct be inherently more 3ds friendly

Is that any online resource showing compatibility information? If not, would people care to post there personal experiences?

2. Rasa39

Rasa39 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2015
    Nintendo recommend you use SanDisk SD cards. I was tempted to buy one but you'll always be limited by Nintendo's servers and install methods for stuff like downloading games etc.
    Having not used a Sandisk card I'm surprised to here yours is running slow.

I don't think there's any kind of compatibility guide, but people have reported (in several threads) that buying a higher quality/more expensive card didn't really give them that noticeable a difference in performance. (the mSD reader is probably only 2.0)

Do you lag on the home menu and stuff, or is it just slow downloads and transfer speeds? I have a Qumox 64GB mSD, which works great considering it's price and how unfamiliar the brand is. Installing my games from the eshop or from cia still runs very slowly, but I noticed that when I use my ticket.db and download from the homebrew freeshop I get much higher speeds.

Also this may be a given but did you format each card with the same cluster size and on a full format? Not sure if that would do anything for you though, but there's no harm checking.

3. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    No lag int eh operations, but writes to the sandiisk card are horrible. no idea whats going on unless its physically damaged some how

4. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    3ds has a really limited i/o speed on the sd slot

5. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Nahh, this is even for writes using my PC's internal sd reader. I get 50mb on most other class 10 chips.

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Did you try reformatting with emunand9? Mine was running slow and using that actually sped it up.

7. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    what????? you got 50megabytes/s writing speed on c10 card???:ninja:

8. GamerDudeK

GamerDudeK GBAtemp Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Canada
    I use a 32gb class 10 Sandisk one and it works extremely well in my N3DSXL.
    I also get around 65mb/s when writing to it using my pc

9. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    waht???????? which card reader you're using???????

10. mokmoki

mokmoki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2016
    i have one Sandisk Ultra 64gb mSD card that has slow writes as well. but my other Sandisk cards write quicker. i'm thinking i just pulled a bad one from the bunch. so i just ordered a Samsung Evo+ and put NDS roms on my slow Sandisk. (64gb is way too overkill though for DS roms).

11. GamerDudeK

GamerDudeK GBAtemp Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Canada
    @Ericjwg
    An Anker USB 3.0 SD/Micro SD card reader

12. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    looking this one on amazon right now:D, thanks!!!!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

the 15.99 one?
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

13. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Ahh no...on the read. The write was at 5 to 11 most of the time bit I've gotten 20 as well. It's an internal sd reader but into my work laptop.

Last edited by taggart6, Jun 6, 2016
  14. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
  15. hunter010709

hunter010709 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2015
    Megabyte (MB) and a Megabit (Mb). Mb being 1/8 of MB, so 1MB takes 8 seconds if the speed 1mb/s.
    [​IMG]

From memory the class of an 03ds sd slot is 4, n3ds sd slot is 10 (no uhs). That is your limit on the 3ds device regardless of the sd being higher, however copying files from a pc to the card i.e large cia's will be faster if the pc has the capability.

Last edited by hunter010709, Jun 6, 2016
  16. trinhno

trinhno GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2015
    Senegal
    Class 10 SD cards by standard only need to sustain 10MBytes/s writes.
    SanDisk Ultra 48MB/s, their lowest class 10 cards usually have ~15MBytes/s writes. I have a golden sample with ~40MB/s writes, but that's hard to come by.

More expensive cards, even Sandisk ones will have better speeds. It'll help you with installation and a bit of boot speed.