Hacking 3DS randomly crashing (Argh!)

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really sorry if double-posting (even when hours apart) is against the rules, but:

I reformatted the card the same as it was (Fat32), re-added everything, switched it to the new boot.firm, etc, and I'm still encountering the same issue, along with the issue of it occasionally not being able to read my SD card, or not starting up with the SD card inserted.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like your SD slot may be damaged or have debris in it. Have you tried cleaning it out with compressed air, and have you made sure the contacts on the SD are clean?

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there! I did what Joom suggested by cleaning the contacts on the SD card, which I did so with rubbing alcohol, and it worked GREAT!... For a day! Then the 0xc960454b errors started happening again. I don't currently have the means to open the back of my 3DS, so is it possible that it's my SD card reader, or is there a way to check if my SD card has any permanent errors?

Last edited by Pezzy,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hey there! I did what Joom suggested by cleaning the contacts on the SD card with rubbing alcohol, and it worked GREAT!... For a day! Then the 0xc960454b errors started happening again. I don't currently have the means to open the back of my 3DS, so is it possible that it's my SD card reader, or is there a way to check if my SD card has any permanent errors?
To check your SD card for errors you can use https://3ds.guide/h2testw-(windows)

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used F3 (the Mac version?) and it said my card was okay.. Maybe it's just the SD slot? Can I clean that using rubbing alcohol?
imo you should only use liquid to clean the contacts if you dismantle the system first . . . if you cant/wont take it apart then stick with compressed air

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you doing when you get this message? Is it a specific game or homebrew app? Or a function built into the CFW?
It happens seemingly random, wherever. It's happened to me during Street Fighter 4, Super Smash Bros (really odd, since I was playing it off of the cartridge), Tomodachi Life, and others. It's also happened when just exiting to the home menu. At this point, I'm fairly certain it's a hardware issue, but I'm not sure where to tackle it just yet. I'll try with compressed air soon, though

imo you should only use liquid to clean the contacts if you dismantle the system first . . . if you cant/wont take it apart then stick with compressed air
By dismantling the system, are you talking about just taking off the back-plate, or..?

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
completely de-soldering the sd reader . . . if you are not willing to do that then i personally would advise against using and liquid based cleaning methods
Aaah! Yeah, I'd be terrible at that. What made me consider that as a possibility was cleaning off my SD card with rubbing alcohol (applying gently via q-tip) seemingly helped my 3DS for a day or two. Maybe I oughta give it the ol' compressed air method

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What made me consider that as a possibility was cleaning off my SD card with rubbing alcohol (applying gently via q-tip) seemingly helped my 3DS for a day or two.
cleaning it may very well be the solution but the problem is the risks involved with liquids if you were not opposed to disassembling the system then i would say go for it let it dry out then reattach it . . . if you feel bold and decide to try liquid without physically removing the sd slot first then remember to use as little alcohol as possible and dry it quickly (compressed air)

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cleaning it may very well be the solution but the problem is the risks involved with liquids if you were not opposed to disassembling the system then i would say go for it let it dry out then reattach it . . . if you feel bold and decide to try liquid without physically removing the sd slot first then remember to use as little alcohol as possible and dry it quickly (compressed air)
Well.. I just did the compressed air method, and it didn't work. The same error persists. Lemme type it out in its entirety:

An error occurred (ErrDisp)

Error type: Generic

Process ID: 38
Process name: BIGRED
Process title ID: 0x0004000000137e00

Address: 0x0019ae70
Error code: 0xc960454b

I was playing a copy of New Super Mario Bros 2: Gold Edition, and now the 3DS won't start up if the SD card is in its system, unless I remove it and reinsert it. No idea why.

Last edited by Pezzy,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well.. I just did the compressed air method, and it didn't work. The same error persists. Lemme type it out in its entirety:

An error occurred (ErrDisp)

Process ID: 38
Process name: BIGRED
Process title ID: 0x0004000000137e00

Address: 0x0019ae70
Error code: 0xc960454b

I was playing a copy of New Super Mario Bros 2: Gold Edition, and now the 3DS won't start up if the SD card is in its system, unless I remove it and reinsert it. No idea why.
so you solely used compressed air and it got . . . worse? . . . wow thats nuts . . . now i am at a loss as to how to proceed

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so you solely used compressed air and it got . . . worse? . . . wow thats nuts . . . now i am at a loss as to how to proceed
Oh, nah, it's had the issue of not starting up with the SD card in it every time that it's crashed like that, it's nothing new, thankfully. It doesn't look like anything really got worse, just that it remained the same

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still at a loss looked up the process title id . . . got nothing
looked up the error code and got some results . . . gbatemp threads wherein the issue was installing (sometimes playing) cia games would return that error . . . so all i know for sure is well what you already know its an issue with between the sd and the reader and/or between the sd reader and the motherboard . . . although the problem was slightly different one user claimed to solve his 0xc960454b Error code . . . here is a link to that post . . . i hope this helps (or at least sparks up some conversation that may be of use to you)

TopKekMaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've had the same issue as OP for about a month or so, been getting random crashes for about a month.
I had a9lh + latest Luma nightly (8.0), so what i've done to fix it is to downgrade Luma to 7.1 and it worked like a charm.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had the same issue as OP for about a month or so, been getting random crashes for about a month.
I had a9lh + latest Luma nightly (8.0), so what i've done to fix it is to downgrade Luma to 7.1 and it worked like a charm.
I don't know much about this kind of stuff (a friend modded my 3DS for me, I don't really have contact with him anymore) because I don't really know how mine was modded, but I know that there's Luma on my 3DS. How do I check what Luma I have, downgrade it, and do I for sure have A9LH? There should be a screenshot of what all I have on the first page. I'm sorry I sound really dumb about this :(

still at a loss looked up the process title id . . . got nothing
looked up the error code and got some results . . . gbatemp threads wherein the issue was installing (sometimes playing) cia games would return that error . . . so all i know for sure is well what you already know its an issue with between the sd and the reader and/or between the sd reader and the motherboard . . . although the problem was slightly different one user claimed to solve his 0xc960454b Error code . . . here is a link to that post . . . i hope this helps (or at least sparks up some conversation that may be of use to you)
First off, before I say anything else, thank you for writing all of this! :)

I don't know what's different about all of it.. I have Animal Crossing downloaded, for example, and I don't think it's ever crashed, but it takes just a few minutes for New Super Marios Bros 2: Gold Edition to crash, whereas it didn't before (about six months ago), and it's just become a problem within the past few months. Some of the games, I had downloaded from a blogspot account, and others, I downloaded directly through Freeshop. Could that determine anything about it?

I just don't really know what to do at this point: I'm not sure if I have to buy a new SD card or whatever, and it scares me to think I might have to send it in for repairs :(

Pezzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Pezzy try this boot.firm http://www.hirobyte.com/archivos/legacy/boot.firm
(since the above person said Luma 7.1 worked for them - this link is a Luma 7.1 that works in B9S 1.2+)
Thank you!! I was actually just getting ready to look for it :) Do you know for sure that I have B9S 1.2+ based off of the screenshot on the first page? If not, how do I check? I'm really dumb when it comes to this kinda stuff, and I just wanna make sure I don't accidentally brick this before a plane trip come New Years.. Yikes

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you!! I was actually just getting ready to look for it :) Do you know for sure that I have B9S 1.2+ based off of the screenshot on the first page? If not, how do I check? I'm really dumb when it comes to this kinda stuff, and I just wanna make sure I don't accidentally brick this before a plane trip come New Years.. Yikes
Luma 8.0 and greater will only work on B9S 1.2+ so if you have 8.0, 8.1 or 8.1.1 you will have B9S 1.2+

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY