Hacking 3DS OS on Switch, is it possible

David Zocchi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Obviously a stupid question, I'm only asking out of curiosity I have seen people asking about running a 3DS emulator on the switch, they all said no because running it on a PC requires too much power for a decent framerate and the switch isn't powerful enough, however they did say both the switch and 3DS have similar ARM processors just the switch is running a much newer processor, plus what I've seen Nintendo software is quite similar, would it be possible to modify the 3DS firmware to run on the switch and just boot 3DS mode from the SD?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the double screen thing probably puts a hamper on the overall concept.
will someone try to port like citra? maybe.
will it run? 5-10 frames, maybe even more, possible.
will it make sense? not really.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it would be much better to start from scratch (than porting citra)
starting from scratch is also loads more work.
people don't have time for that or they don't see the point.
is its not gonna happen unless someone goes and pays someone to start from scratch

GraFfiX420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about this, if someone could make the switch screen and the HDMI work at the same time, you could do it nicely. Is that possible? Probably not.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about this, if someone could make the switch screen and the HDMI work at the same time, you could do it nicely. Is that possible? Probably not.
Nah it might be possible to display the same thing on both, but you wouldn't be able to use them as independent displays, there's only one set of video hardware to display one thing.

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I think a 3DS emulator could be possible since the architectures are quite similar. However, this require a lot of time from a lot of people. Porting Citra is in my opinion a bad idea, starting from scratch with all the architecture similarities in mind is a better solution. Also, this may be a way to bring 3DS emulation on Android, so I hope this will motivate some devs :D

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless, at the very least I would think it will get DS games for its virtual console given that the Wii U could handle them. Now, the solution for best playing them would be to be in portable and play the Switch vertically like how you can with the various Pinball games and the arcade version of Punch Out.

switch-12-17-17-1.jpg

fb78514825739a8eb080b633e6a12b50_preview_featured.JPG

w3asswjkopwefrjv49jb.jpg

In fact, Punch Out shows how the Switch could best handle a 2 screen mode for DS and maybe even 3DS titles. Couple all of that with this 3D print made specifically for horizontal play and you have a solution that would work pretty great for such titles on the 3DS.

s53ydqolc1p01.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    Hi i was wondering where i can download a fresh istall for the mii maker on wii u (EU). The consol is not modded jet but the mii maker is corupted
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, I think (non homebrew) roms arent posted here
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ah ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that case is huge, but is cool.
  • D @ dadadad:
    I was installing mods for games, but when I removed the romfs folder, an error occurred. Now when I try to launch the game, I see a yellow screen, and I have to reboot the switch. Reinstalling the game didn't help. Can you advise me on what to do to launch the game without mods?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @dadadad delete sd:\atmosphere\contents
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should find out from the mod dev how to uninstall it. Every mod is different on how you install/uninstall.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @The Real Jdbye Wouldn't that take out bunch other stuff also?
  • D @ dadadad:
    Is it safe to delete the entire atmosphere folder? I don't remember what else was there, like edizon and tesla menu are installed through atmosphere, is it not a problem, will I not damage the system? There were too many mods, I won’t be able to contact each one, nothing was said about deleting in the description.
    @BigOnYa nothing that can't easily be replaced
    +1
    @dadadad no don't do that
    that will reset the configs
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    where can i find a clean copy of the mii maker for the wii u (EU)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Arne214, We don't ask for roms.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I already told them about that and yet they make a thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Well I'm sure the mods will take care of it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, que tan poco?