3DS Lite Already?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Zombie_X, May 20, 2011.

1. Zombie_X
    OP

Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Hey guys I just watched some G4TV and on X-Play they said that Nintendo was going to launch a 3DS Lite. My first thought was "WTF", The systems only been out a little over an month and they are already planning a lite version? Come on Nintendo it's way to soon for this.

What do you guys think? Way to early IMO.

2. Disturbed1

Disturbed1 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    While I don't think anyone would rule out a 3DS redesign coming in the future, I can safely say that it wouldn't be released for (at the very least) the next year.

Generally, when it comes to rumors and speculation, it's best not to listen to G4TV. Hell, I don't trust half of their actual gaming "news."

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
  4. Zombie_X
    OP

Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Yeah I don't usually listen to G4TV either as they really don't know what they are talking about. I mean for all we know they are just spewing some BS around but you never know. I jsut know that Adam and Morgan said Nintendo announced a 3DS Lite but I have not heard of it before.

5. jesterscourt

jesterscourt Not Brad.

Jan 3, 2007
    United States
    It's certainly coming. Although from what we hear about Project Cafe, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the 3DS (or 3ds lite or whatever) is going to be able to function as a controller.

6. Vulpes Abnocto

Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    As soon as I heard that researchers at MIT had made a better 3D screen, I knew talk of a 3DS lite couldn't be far behind.

7. Sebastian

Sebastian GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2011
    United States
    Chicago
    But, but, As far as i know, Nintendo currently has no short-term plans to make a Nintendo 3DS Lite, [​IMG]

8. Zombie_X
    OP

Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Well I think I'llt ake what they said with a grain of salt. I will be so mad if they do release a lite version this year.

9. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I think that if they make a revision sooner rather than later, they will simply address the problems the current model has, namely the abysmal battery life (just wait until the battery starts losing capacity), the way the framework around the bottom screen tends to damage the surface of the top screen and fix the overly loose hinge issue.

Did I miss anything?

10. JoyConG

JoyConG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 24, 2009
    United States
    G4TV

copscopscopscopscops3DSLITE!?!?copscops..

Grain of salt. These hardware redesigns don't typically happen for at least 18 months, so expect a remodel by holiday-ish of 2012 I wager.

11. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    Nintendo, if I'm not wrong, has claimed that they have learnt from the DS line and decided not to come out with revamps of the portable so soon. So, even with a revamped 3DS, likely would only surface in earliest end 2012 to me.

Also, I don't think there will be a 3DS Lite... The 3DS is already small enough compared to the rest of the 'family'. A 3DS XL would be more likely I guess.

12. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I'm not even sure they can even fix the battery life at this point of time. Also why make a new model for a overly loose hinge when they can just tighten the old one?

@Topic I doubt it.

13. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Wasn't it light weight already?

EDIT: Compared it with my DSLite and yeah, it is a bit more heavy.

14. TheDarkSeed

TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

May 11, 2009
    United States
    Carson
    ^YES!!^ [​IMG]

If this is in fact true though, The sales for the current 3DS must be terrible. Because I sure as hell didn't get one. I might get the revision, assuming the design blows the current one out of the water.

15. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    I don't think 3DS lite will ever be made. Only a 3DS XL.

16. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    Didn't Nintendo say they weren't planning on making one?
    But then again, I wouldn't mind them doing so due to all the defects in the current model.

17. Ikki

Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Jun 1, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo
    Yes, they did. And even if they didn't, it's too early.

18. RodrigoCamilo

RodrigoCamilo GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2011
    Brazil
    I don' t believe in a second edition of 3ds being named by 3ds lite or xl, all nintendo handheld had different names. BTW I believe that will be a 3ds "lite" but far end of 2012 or in the begginnig of 2013.

19. Kyo86sg

Kyo86sg Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2006
    Senegal
    How about the "3DS 3XL" with 4.2" screen and 17hrs of battery life~ and slimmer by 1cm. available in bronze and wine red... [​IMG]

20. Nollog

Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2008
    http://feedthegamer.info/2011-03-29/reggie...-buy-insurance/

I'm sure g4tv were just being f**'s and telling everyone to wait for a second iteration.
    I've seen some of their shows on the internets and they're pretty n**gy like that.
    Professionalism is not welcome in game journalism! (according to them and most game journalists)