3ds hands on Kotaku

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by lostdwarf, Feb 26, 2011.

Feb 26, 2011

3ds hands on Kotaku by lostdwarf at 12:30 PM (1,323 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. lostdwarf
    OP

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
  2. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Hmm, the hinge might be wobbly but it will definitely be more durable, seeing that Nintendo spent like 6 months fixing this problem (Iwata asks).
    Even if I'm right handed I'm glad that they moved the stylus slot to the back, because it was a hassle for lefties with the DS lites stylus position.

3. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    He was saying the stylus itself was a hassle to, but it not like they could have put the style in there in
    regular size, it would take too much space...

4. lostdwarf
    OP

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    He seems very fussy about the whole thing but impressed too. My main concern is he mentions the wobbly hinge and gives it a good shake.
    The one I play in my local gamestation has a wobbly hinge. It is really quite bad. The top screen is heavy. This makes it worse. Since the device has not only a gyro but an accellerometer too (for detecting changes in speed and direction) it will become very annoying using it in a game if the screen wobbles and rocks as you move..

I read the Iwata asks when it came out, they do indeed say they worked on it being strong enough not to break for 6 months... but they end saying they found the best material they could find with the design spec in mind and then finally came to terms with it late august 2010. Coming to terms with something is not fixing it. That is giving up and dealing with the fact that is all they managed. Which may not be very good.
    They do not mention the hinge apart from making that strong.

The hinge looks and feels strong, I can vouch for that, but the top screen wobbles in its open position. The lock/rest position is not a tight fit so it moves out of place very easy backwards.

5. Zarxrax

Member Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

United States
    He says "Remember the DS Lite and the broken hinges? And how they'd eventually flop open and shut like wet noodles? The 3DS doesn't seem that bad, but there's already some give and some flop when it's opened. That worries me."

Um... so basically he is saying the hinge seems BETTER than the hinge on the DS Lite. Personally I have never had a bit of problem out of my DS Lite's hinge.

6. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    The way he flings it open is obviously bad for the hinge.
    The hinge is supposed to give a little, so it doesn't flat out break.

Be gentle and you won't have trouble.