3DS DS-mode - Touch-screen problem with homebrew?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by DiscostewSM, Apr 4, 2011.

1. DiscostewSM
    OP

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'd like to ask anyone here that can run DS homebrew on the 3DS with their flashcards to test if they are having problems with the touch-screen input in "Stretched" mode. As it is right now with my SCDS2 flashcard, all DS homebrew (not DS commercial games) seem to have this problem that when in stretched mode, touch-screen input is taken as if it were running in it's natural resolution. To test this, I'm supplying a binary file taken from the devkitPro compilation (credit goes to those who made it) that tests this very thing. I repeat, commercial DS games work just fine with touch-screen input in stretched mode.

If the problem is restricted to only a few cards, then we'll need to contact the card firmware makers about this problem.
    If this is affecting all cards, then we'll probably need to contact WinterMute and others associated with the devkitARM toolchain to see if the problem lies with libnds, and see if a fix can be made. Any and all homebrew would later have to be recompiled to reflect the change, or be restricted to the natural resolution if touch-screen input is vital.

Touch-Test

Currently affected cards:

SCDS2
    Acekard 2i (tested by flaboy909)

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Could you try it in original res and see? (Holding Select)

I wonder why this happens with flashcarts...

3. DiscostewSM
    OP

United States
    It works fine under it's "natural resolution", but in stretched mode, input is taken as if it was running under the natural mode. Anything outside the natural resolution limit (0-256 horizontally, 0-192 vertically) is forced to the minimum/maximum limit. For instance, the lower 20% of the screen (in both natural and stretched mode) would register touch-screen input as 191 instead of some range between 153 and 191.

4. flaboy909

Newcomer flaboy909 Member

United States
    I have this problem with my Acekard 2i on the 3ds. When using Moonshell the inputs higher than usual. This is also the case for the likes of JenesisDS v7.4 and Snemulds v.6 (ie to save a game on Jenesis, you have to touch above and left of the icon for it to register; Snemulds requires touching above most of the icons for it to register as well).

5. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Hmm...I have a DSTwo and it seems alright to me (both with homebrew such as NesDS, Moonshell 2, and Colors as well as your test app). Have you all tried calibrating the touch screen in the 3DS's settings? If so then I'm a bit confused since it seems to be ok to me...it sounds like if there was a problem it would jump out at me.

*edit*
    Tried the test app some more after re-reading the above posts, I'm definitely not getting the problem where it jumps to 191.

6. DiscostewSM
    OP

United States
    Call me crazy, but now the problem isn't occurring. I have yet to recalibrate it since last week. Glitch in the system?

Update:
    Ok, now I really think it's a glitch in the system. I tried first in stretched mode, and it worked fine. I went through the home menu to get back to the menu, re-ran the flash card while holding select to reduce to native resolution, and what happened? The touch screen is now acting like it's in stretched mode. Gonna test this out a bit more.

7. DiscostewSM
    OP

United States
    Alright, here's an update.

On my system (I don't know about anyone else), I boot up the flash card (or any DS homebrew) in stretched mode, and touch screen input is fine. I kick back to the Home menu via home button, then reload a DS homebrew but in native mode this time. Touch screen input still acts like it is in stretched mode. I exit to Home menu.

I recalibrate screen, and try again in native mode. Touch screen input works fine. Reboot to Home menu, and try stretched mode. Input still acting in native mode.
    I recalibrate again, and try stretched mode. Works fine. Try native mode after that. Still acts like stretched mode. See a pattern?

From this, it appears that my system bases touch screen input for DS homebrew (not DS commercial games) on whatever mode (native or stretched) was used last prior to recalibrating. No one else seeing this happen with their 3DS?

2 people like this.
  8. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Aaaah, no no..I confirm it happening here too. I guess I didn't mess around with native mode and homebrew that much, come to think of it, at least not on anything requiring the touch screen otherwise I'd surely have noticed this bug sooner.

9. aireca

Member aireca GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but this is really happening here too, it's a real bug, i never noticed because i never tried the non stretched mode, fortunately it's fixed by just recalibrating the 3DS touchscreen. I have an "R4iSDHC Dual Core New" with latest kernel, Normal 3DS V4.3.0-10. thanks a lot for the info DiscostewSM

10. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    It's not a bug...that is just how it works...3DS initializes DS mode...so if you start with stretched, it will be stretched for the duration that the 3DS is on. If you start normal, it won't act stretched. Flashcarts can't and won't do anything about that...ever...at all...never...

11. aireca

Member aireca GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i understand this probably will not be fixed, btw remains if you turn off the 3ds & it's just on homebrew, so, can be fixed. It's not the flashcart.

12. orochi115

Member orochi115 GBAtemp Regular

China
    Instead of recalibrate, I have to run gateway installer to reset it.