Hacking 3DS Development Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

goembario

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just curious but would you be able to put a dumped rom on that "flash card" and start it somehow? (with the CTR-008 card)
Or only those cci. and csu. files??
The 3DS rom dumps you see floating around on the internet, are in the CCI format. There's no reason why it shouldn't technically work. Though I can't imagine Nintendo would make it that easy, there's probably a restriction in PC flasher program which refuses to burn the rom if it has retail flags, or retail 3DS units refuse to read CTR-008 cartridges. But I don't know for sure, I don't have one :( .
oh ok thanks, anyway didn't know that 3ds roms are in CCI format :P
But would be fun too know if it works I think :blink:

Reactions: 1 person

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey joe (can i call you by your name? xD) so if you have a dev unit, can you make a 3ds rom? and how nintendo starts selling it or bring it to eShop?
I do have a Dev Unit, but I don't have the SDK, so I can't make 3DS roms. I'm waiting for the next update of CiTRUS, that will be able to make CXI/CCI files (CCI is the rom format). In regards to how they make apps for the eShop, I know the encrypted application data you download is in CXI format. And the CXI format in eShop downloads is the same as the format as the CXI files found in game roms (CCI). It would be very easy for Nintendo to convert cartridge games to eShop titles for download.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just curious but would you be able to put a dumped rom on that "flash card" and start it somehow? (with the CTR-008 card)
The 3DS rom dumps you see floating around on the internet, are in the CCI format. There's no reason why it shouldn't technically work. Though I can't imagine Nintendo would make it that easy, there's probably a restriction in PC flasher program which refuses to burn the rom if it has retail flags, or retail 3DS units refuse to read CTR-008 cartridges. But I don't know for sure, I don't have one :( .

I wonder if any flashcard team already tried this
This looks a lot like Crown 3DS, and looks a lot more simple.
If this works, I think with few adaptions it could make a flashcard 1:1 copy like Crown 3DS
Maybe a 3DS flashcard is not that far from being made ;)

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wonder if any flashcard team already tried this
This looks a lot like Crown 3DS, and looks a lot more simple.
If this works, I think with few adaptions it could make a flashcard 1:1 copy like Crown 3DS
Maybe a 3DS flashcard is not that far from being made ;)
I don't think so. Remember the video on the Crown 3DS website showing a rom (assuming a 1:1 copy) being played. You'd think if they could do that, it would be finished by now. There must be something else to it :hateit: .

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
I was wondering why my Dev Menu video had so many views! :P

In case you think you need my permission, you can have it. I think it's great you used it! :D

Great topic, by the way. A lot of questions answered.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't think so. Remember the video on the Crown 3DS website showing a rom (assuming a 1:1 copy) being played. You'd think if they could do that, it would be finished by now. There must be something else to it :hateit: .

They did not boot a menu with Rom selection or anything similarly complex as that,
they loaded a Rom, like it was the original card,
probably it's taking lot's of time to minimize the hardware to something that fit in the size of a 3DS/DS catridge,
and loading the Rom from a MicroSD.

Look at that device, it was huge.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In case you think you need my permission, you can have it. I think it's great you used it! :D

Your video of the dev unit at the Nintendo Connection Tour was actually the main thing which got me interested in Dev Units, and eventually deciding to get one(easier said than done ;) ). It was the first real video showing off a dev unit in action (for me at least). So I'm glad I have your permission :D. And I happy that it's answering questions for the person which lead me down a path to make this thread in the first place.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia

Your video of the dev unit at the Nintendo Connection Tour was actually the main thing which got me interested in Dev Units, and eventually deciding to get one(easier said than done ;) ). It was the first real video showing off a dev unit in action (for me at least). So I'm glad I have your permission :D. And I happy that it's answering questions for the person which lead me down a path to make this thread in the first place.
The point about the (AUS) code on the Dev units was really interesting. I still don't know why we get (EUR) 3DS'.
It worried me initially, back when it launched. :P

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The point about the (AUS) code on the Dev units was really interesting. I still don't know why we get (EUR) 3DS'.
It worried me initially, back when it launched. :P
Australia has a very small consumer volume compared to it's population, so it's not worth while making batches of 3DS consoles with Australian labeling, since Australia contributes so little to Nintendo's overall profit

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They did not boot a menu with Rom selection or anything similarly complex as that,
they loaded a Rom, like it was the original card,
probably it's taking lot's of time to minimize the hardware to something that fit in the size of a 3DS/DS catridge,
and loading the Rom from a MicroSD.

Look at that device, it was huge.
Well we'll see when (if) Crown3DS get's released.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bump, corrections. Better explained the encryption/signing as well as why dev units are completely incompatible with retail units/software.

Shintai88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mo they can. If they're firmware is the latest. They can Play DS and DSI games. But I want to know if they are region free.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mo they can. If they're firmware is the latest. They can Play DS and DSI games. But I want to know if they are region free.
DS games are region free (and were always region free). While the home menu won't show out of region DSi titles, the Dev Menu will show them(and hence allow you to launch them, provided you have the necessary firmware)

HunterBR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Digging this topic from the grave...

I have some hi-res pics of the PARTNER-CTR Capture to share:

I've never seen pictures from the back of the unit floating around before, so i thought it would be worthwhile to share.

Update: Another video of it in action (for your Youtube collection, 3DSGuy)

Reactions: 3DSGuy and kenjixx

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digging this topic from the grave...

I have some hi-res pics of the PARTNER-CTR Capture to share:

I've never seen pictures from the back of the unit floating around before, so i thought it would be worthwhile to share.
Thank you very much for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)