Hacking 3DS decapping fundraising topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So they passed the $1,000 mark? That's cool.
I pitched in a while back but I'm not sure if they ever got my pledge because of the moneybookers process, not good...

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how long it is going to take once they have the funds to have the decapping finished with the images in their emails. They already seem to be making consistent progress on GPU commands. Will they really blow thru the hacking once they have the pictures?

Yavga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just blasted through a few pages to see most of the discussion but one particular question keeps bugging me:

Why would I donate for this project when the 3ds is already hacked, but more or less just in the state of 'waiting with release until the right moment'

I have some money to spend but I'm just not entirely convinced yet.
It's not clear for me anyway, would anyone care to enlighten me?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I just blasted through a few pages to see most of the discussion but one particular question keeps bugging me:

Why would I donate for this project when the 3ds is already hacked, but more or less just in the state of 'waiting with release until the right moment'

I have some money to spend but I'm just not entirely convinced yet.
It's not clear for me anyway, would anyone care to enlighten me?
Here's Neimod's answer:
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Fundraiser#How_likely_is_this_going_to_help_progress.3F

To elaborate, the current hack is user-mode only with additional limitations on top of that. And it could be patched easily. The hope is that learning about the hardware's deepest, darkest secrets (i.e. keys) could make future hacks more robust (useful) and secure (hard for Nintendo to patch).

Anacobra

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Once my credit card is unfrozen (Hijacked swiper at a shady gas station while I was on vacation. Sigh.) I'll send some cash.

'Cause I dunno why the fuck not. Just a little over half-way to the goal now anyway, which is pretty awesome when you think about it.

Yavga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here's Neimod's answer:
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Fundraiser#How_likely_is_this_going_to_help_progress.3F

To elaborate, the current hack is user-mode only with additional limitations on top of that. And it could be patched easily. The hope is that learning about the hardware's deepest, darkest secrets (i.e. keys) could make future hacks more robust (useful) and secure (hard for Nintendo to patch).

As clear as it can get, thanks a bunch.

I'll add my 5% soon enough, hoping for more to follow!

Banchan9000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If contributers get copies of the images, I'm happy to donate. I can't seem to find the paypal link though... if someone could help out that would be great.

edit: skrill is being uncooperative... I'll donate whenever the site lets me update my payment options...

edit 2: I'm still getting this message and I have no idea how to donate without adding funds to my account:

pxl.gif
We are currently working on allowing uploads into your wallet. Nevertheless, you can still make payments to merchants and websites by using credit card or bank wire. When you reach the checkout simply select the option to "Pay via Skrill (Moneybookers)", login to your account and complete your payment.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately Paypal doesn't want anything to do with the decapping project or fundraiser.
Image1, Image2, Image3

I've replaced the Paypal donation button with one from MoneyBookers ( "Skrill" ) which is another payment gateway similar to Paypal.

As for the funds that have been donated through Paypal, apparently they're frozen for up to 180 days and then released (see the first image above).

After discussing it with other 3DBrew members, I intend to contribute the current donation amount (from my own pocket) and collect the "frozen" funds in 180 days, leaving the current donation count as it is. This is to make sure current donators aren't affected by this decision adversely and so we aren't forced to wait another 180 days to continue.

I've also set up a 'donation refund request' page here for those that donated by Paypal and have the means to donate by Moneybookers or who simply want a refund for their own reason. I strongly recommend filling it out if you are able to use Moneybookers because it will mean your donated funds will be returned to you immediately and you'll get the full amount returned (including Paypal fees that would've been deducted otherwise).

I'll try to get the Paypal account reinstated but my experience with Paypal is once you get on their bad side it's *extremely difficult to change that fact, even if you are in the right. Decapping and SEM imaging are not explicitly against Paypal's terms of service but they most likely don't want to take any chances.

I apologize to all the current supporters for this turn of events but hopefully your support won't go to waste.

* We're aware that Moneybookers isn't available in some locations. We're looking into alternatives.
* Before it's asked - Google Wallet and Amazon Payment require registrants to be US-based.

Q&A:
From what I've seen Kickstarter uses Amazon Payments which restricts its service to US-based residents. They require a US-based credit card, bank account and tax information.

It isn't 'gone' but if they hold it for 180 days, it's not that much different.

Although I can't use the account to send/withdraw anything, I can refund any transaction made in the past 60 days, so it -is- possible for everyone to get their donation back.

We haven't yet.

It's been verified by mailing address, bank account and credit card. I don't think that factored into their decision, unfortunately.

Banchan9000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well moneybookers still doesn't want to let me add funds. I will wait until tomorrow to see if the issue fixes itself, otherwise I'll call them and get everything sorted out.

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I will try to bump a little. I'm from China and the MoneyBookers does not seem to be convenient for me to contribute.
I got interested in that SEM image so would u confirm that i would get a copy of that after it?
Also, Is that correct?
3DS-Decapping-Fundraiser.Payment-Process.png.PNG
I mean, is this dialog appeared correctly? I was using the link on 3dbrew.org.
Oh i had to go out for tranfer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto