3DS can run the unreal engine, say ubisoft.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Erdnaxela, Mar 24, 2011.

Mar 24, 2011
  1. Erdnaxela
    OP

Member Erdnaxela GBAtemp Fan

France
    Source

2. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
  3. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Rein is just being a dick. They are praised for their fancy looking engine and they don't want to tone it down.

I think it probably is a less recent version though.

4. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    The fuck? The iPhone can run Unreal Engine 3, but the 3DS can't? Did they tone down Unreal Engine 3 for Infinity Blade or what?

A better source says that Ubisoft said it can run Unreal Engine 2, and shows that the 3DS doesn't need Unreal 3 anyway.
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/03/3ds-can-h...2-says-ubisoft/
    [​IMG]
    For the 3DS, I'm fine with Unreal 2. For the NGP, that shit better be capable of Unreal 4.

5. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Well, the PICA200 is almost on par with the SGX535 [iPhone 3GS/4] as for MPixel/s (800Mpx vs 1Gpxs), and it totally exceeds it in vertex performance (80M Triangles/s vs 14M Triangles/s).

It probably lacks in some extensions, as it's only OpenGL ES 1.1 compliant, but it should be enough with some tweakings, and it also has some proprietary extensions which should bridge the gap.

So yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to run it.

6. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    I thought I read they were using a 2.5 Version of Unreal Engine....

EDIT: Strangely enough, I don't see it on the nintendo3dsblog.com anymore... Which is odd. Unless I'm skimming over it.

Either way, I don't mind lol

7. Joktan

Member Joktan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I thought it said it was running 2...but it might be 2.5...

8. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    On the 3DSBlog? That was said by a random reader. Don't always trust that blog.

9. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    Yeah... I thought I had seen it up there as an article with a source but I may be mistaken....

I'm fine with the idea of UE 2 working though

10. TehSkull

United States
    Idk if this is true, but someone commented on the article on qj.net:
    "3DS gpu uses fixed function shaders (which UE3 doesn't support) but not fragment shaders.This results in less flexibility for the programmers (as you're limited to a number of pre-defined graphical effects), but it also leads to longer battery life. certainly,it needs that for 3D double performance"

11. shadowgauge

Newcomer shadowgauge Advanced Member

United States
    i think with some tweaking unreal3 can run on 3ds with less effects but epic does not want to tweak there engine, selfish if you ask me. capcom did it and look at their games, street fighter and resident evil look awesome not perfect console ports but they look good and they r also playable not a point and click game like epic did on the iphone im not too impressed with the epic released games yea the grafixs r good but there framerates suck i have yet seen an epic made game on a console using u3 run at 60 frames per sec with everything on yea its a good engine to work with but it has its limitations im sorry but they need to get off their lazy boy and make things happen on 3ds its gonna be a huge seller for years to come. [​IMG]

12. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    If they can sweet, but Unreal 2 just seem like Nintendo style...

13. f3ar000

Member f3ar000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If its unreal engine its unreal engine modified a little bit. the unreal engine is able to run on a device like an iphone because it is modified to work with less capacity (fewer polygons rendered in each LOD and so forth and shaders quality is reduced) I really haven't messed around with UDK for the Iphone and Android because there is no point for me to do so

Edit: I imagine volumetric effects are replaced with sprites as well

14. commdante

Member commdante GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I don't know if the 3DS is as "powerful" (nice relative term -_-' somehow reminds me of comparing a x GHz Intel to an AMD cpu) as the Wii, but it seems to have at least more graphic "features" like e.g. normal-mapping. I'm pretty sure it also has more than twice the memory (64MB against 24MB if not mistaken).

Anyways, the small screen and alot smaller pixels (I love small pixels, 1920x@22" instead of 24" anyday) make it look a lot better in any case ... for most of us any way, some like big pixels -> DS XL.

Personally I don't care much if some bloatware engine can run on a handheld. What is the added value? More console-like games? Personally I like the DS mostly for those rare gems that "couldn't" be released on consoles anymore ... like "good old" RPG's and "2D-style" platformers. More the map than graphics, I love those Castlevania's and Metroids and "New Mario Bros" just looks awesome. Can't wait for such game being turned into 3D (graphics, not much into the view yet). I thought Metroid: Other M was really awesome playwise (leveldesign could obviously be a lot better/more interesting).

-my 2 cents ...

15. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    ..Well let's hope so, and even if, those games are gonna be a bit of a battery sucker.

16. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I think that the 3DS has the specs to RUN Unreal 3, but it really would be impractical.

Some tweaks... And who knows?

17. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Probably gonna get a lot of heat for this, but it could also be a matter of demographic.

Looking at the games that run the Unreal Engine and what companies perceive the Wii/DS audience to pay, bringing the engine over to the 3DS doesn't seem to be what would get them the most bang for their buck. There's a pretty broad spectrum of people who have iPhones and stuff so it could make sense there.

18. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    If it can't run the unreal engine 3 which I doubt then I will skip this portable for NGP if NGP is able to run the unreal engine 3 which I am sure it will be then I will grab it instead.

Again, it is too soon to tell. I think it is able to run the unreal engine 3 because they didnt know how powerful this could be. We shall wait and see.

19. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's been confirmed by Epic that the NGP can run Unreal Engine 3 and most likely will have games that use it.

20. TehSkull

United States
    Umm... no.

Infinity Blade: $6
    iPhone piracy: Rampant

Average (3)DS Game: $40
    3DS piracy: Impossible, for now.