3DS Camera Attachment, Force-Feedback Stylus Patent

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
A brilliant new patent from nintendo shows interations with augmented reality in true 3D.
Letting you touch an object hovering above the screen with either a special new stylus or even your fingers.
lots of possible game uses included in the photo section!

Source:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30378

11.png
5.png

Reactions: 1 person

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Already posted to the frontpage.
http://gbatemp.net/t327901-new-3ds-patent-covers-vibrating-stylus-new-control-methods

I mean no problem though, it's E3! Tons of video games news is coming around.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Already posted to the frontpage.
http://gbatemp.net/t...control-methods

I mean no problem though, it's E3! Tons of video games news is coming around.
Was already posted,
It wasn't already posted. On those topics the 3ds used the stylus, but now it uses fingers too.
Don't bring technicality into this. it's still the same patent filed. This is from the other thread.

Above is the patent that Nintendo has recently filed, which shows new ways of interfacing with the 3DS and ...Cats.

This includes a method of playing games on the system without having to actually touch the console at all, by manipulating the front facing camera to detect a marker (which can be fixed to the end of the stylus) and calculate where it is pointing to on either of the screens. This can be used to move objects around on the screen without needing to press a button. The patent also details a vibrating stylus for when you interact with these virtual items on the screen.

The aforementioned marker doesn't have to be fixed to a stylus either, which means that you will be able to control the 3DS with your finger or whatever else you can fit the marker onto.

Again, it was posted.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Okay, a few questions:
1. The 3DS obviously can't do too much pop-up. At best, 2.5 inches, and that of course changes depending on the observers eyes itself (eyes set too close or too far apart obviously would change the viewing angle, etc). Will the tech be able to reflect that? Will it be able to sync itself with how you actually see the object? Because it could totally break the effect if the apparent point of contact for you and the tech isn't spot on.

2. They make the first image look like it's actually projecting a 3D block that far up. Are we still talking about the 3DS here, or is Nintendo actually gunning for holographic imaging now?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, a few questions:
1. The 3DS obviously can't do too much pop-up. At best, 2.5 inches, and that of course changes depending on the observers eyes itself (eyes set too close or too far apart obviously would change the viewing angle, etc). Will the tech be able to reflect that? Will it be able to sync itself with how you actually see the object? Because it could totally break the effect if the apparent point of contact for you and the tech isn't spot on.

2. They make the first image look like it's actually projecting a 3D block that far up. Are we still talking about the 3DS here, or is Nintendo actually gunning for holographic imaging now?
1)I have a video that can extend to at least/close to the side facing the 3ds and you make 2.5 inches 3d on a small screen seems bad.I'm sure they would find a ratively the best apparent point fit for wide selection of people.

2)They could ,maybe in the future, use some kind of software trickery to make it extend farther. (Dreams...)

dorayaki95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Pretty interesting.

1) there is 1 technology called leapmotion which claims to be 200x more accurate than anything in this planet. Well, the point is the user interface of the leapmotion, where you can control things on the pc monitor with high accuracy, gesture-based ( much like kinect, but with very much higher accuracy ). I hope the aforementioned patent is similar to usage like leapmotion.

2) This might suggest that the 3DS needs a hardware revision. If the abysmal front camera has anything to prove.

3) E3 is only a few days away.

Well, of course we could only hope that this patent for the 3DS will see its daylight, better, Nintendo will spill some beans on the aforementioned patent during its E3 presentation.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I see now why that block is seemingly rendered that far up... the view range of the front-facing camera is shown on the first illustration with a cone... that's where your interactions take place, because the camera has to see the marker to track it and register inputs.

This means the 2nd image is a bit inaccurate. The popup cat is "too close", and the camera can't see the marker from that angle. At best, you'd swipe the marker high above the screen where the camera can see it, and the actions will reflect on the 3D top screen... there's no "realistic" contact between the tip of the stylus/marker and the popup cat.

Sounds a bit limited, but let's see what happens if they employ this.

EDIT: I see it now! That small conical attachment on the front camera in the 2nd image is a conical mirror/sensor! what happens is, instead of the view range spilling forward, the mirror redirects it and spills it sideways, effectively changing the detection range from a few inches above the screen to within an inch from the top screen! it's like an invisible touchscreen layer!

that is so cheap! and gimmicky! and man, new Nintendogs+Cats with better interactions!

and Senran Kagura Burst: TOUCH! and New Love Plus TOUCH! oooh, the fondling possibilities...!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the 3DS already had one bad peripheral too many.

Seriously, we don't need all this crap. They seem like novelty items that will be shipped with a game and really not catch on. I have a Wii Speak playing From Dust (GET IT??) in my room and how many people use the Wii Fit Board outside of, you know, Wii Fit? Like the only peripheral that has caught on for the Wii was the Wii Motion Plus and only a few games use it and using it is a reasonable move. I feel the 3DS may continue the trend but with the Circle Pad Pro since that's actually significant (albeit an awful peripheral).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not sure why nobody only ferofax and I noticed, but there's one persistent error in all those sketches.

This add-on makes sense provided that the images pop out of the screen as shown on the concept sketches, which is not the case with 3DS games 99% of the time. The screen allows depth perception, but inwards, not outwards of the screen. That said, images don't "pop out", they rather "indent in".

Why does this matter? If they were to pop out, you could technically "touch" them with the stylus and recieve Force Feedback. If they're indented, you'd have to "pierce the screen" to reach them with the stylus's end.

With all that in mind... this will not work, or will barely work and only if you're exactly in the sweet spot.

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Not sure why nobody only ferofax and I noticed, but there's one persistent error in all those sketches.

This add-on makes sense provided that the images pop out of the screen as shown on the concept sketches, which is not the case with 3DS games 99% of the time. The screen allows depth perception, but inwards, not outwards of the screen. That said, images don't "pop out", they rather "indent in".
Well if this catches on. The games that will be using this will obviously have pop outs rather than just indented backgrounds.And i dont believe they would be able to update current 3ds games to be able to use this ..thingy.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
I don´t think that this is worth mentioning.They are going to make some sort of mini game collection for it and then its going to die.Even though i´ve seen how apparent gimmicks revolutionized gaming, this wont do anything for it, its like R.O.B for the nes.

D

Deleted_171835

Some 3DS games do pop-out (Mario 3D Land being one of them) and I've tested with numerous pics in the 3DS Camera app that pop-out 3D does work fine. The only reason pop-out 3D isn't used often is because it's more distracting in some games compared to a fish-bowl effect. This would work just fine.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well if this catches on. The games that will be using this will obviously have pop outs rather than just indented backgrounds.And i dont believe they would be able to update current 3ds games to be able to use this ..thingy.
The screen isn't really capable of a lot of pop out, it's just not built that way and it's a recurring issue with many 3DS titles. I don't think they're going to go any further with this before the screen itself gets a make-over.

EDIT: I'm afraid I didn't get to try the plumber game yet, so I can't tell. So far, none of the games I tried on the 3DS really do pop-out, but then again, I don't own one, I only play a bit on my girlfriend's 3DS so maybe my eyes aren't used to this yet.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don´t think that this is worth mentioning.They are going to make some sort of mini game collection for it and then its going to die.Even though i´ve seen how apparent gimmicks revolutionized gaming, this wont do anything for it, its like R.O.B for the nes.

ROB was released so the NES could be sold in toy stores as a "toy" since video games were not exactly popular after the video game crash. It wasn't really designed for much else honestly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SugoiEndeavor @ SugoiEndeavor: What's up bakaz