Hacking 3DS Bricking Rumor

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
goomboss said:
Maybe slightly off subject, but I once read the agrement on guitar hero's guitars. that one states that whenever activisions wants you to you should hand over or destroy the guitar in question. isn't nintendo aiming for the same agrement? also had a flash card in my 3ds by a friends mistake so if something happens nintendo has lost me for EVER this time!
That wouldn't be Nintendo fault specially if the card cause something and not Nintendo.

kieran-123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nds-patcher.webs.com
XP
Country
I'm really freaked out about using a flashcard in my 3DS,how shore are you that it won't be bricked?
I really do hope it's not true but it seems that nintendo are being a bit soft on letting some cards work and they still haven't blocked them in a firmware update,unless this is part of a bigger plan.
So are you guys shore that this bricking ds thing is just bull?
My cards won't work anyway yet but even if they did I'm still a bit nervous.
My 3DS is on the latest 1.1.0-1E firmware.
Sorry if I sound stupid but anyway thanks for helping.

kristymb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kieran-123 said:
I'm really freaked out about using a flashcard in my 3DS,how shore are you that it won't be bricked?
I really do hope it's not true but it seems that nintendo are being a bit soft on letting some cards work and they still haven't blocked them in a firmware update,unless this is part of a bigger plan.

I don't Think it will be bricked, But I'm erring on the side of caution because I want The Shop Channel, Netflix ect.. That come in future updates.. I personally think Nintendo has a plan by not releasing these items at launch, but i think it is only to block all the cards that have been updated to work with the 3DS.

kieran-123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nds-patcher.webs.com
XP
Country
kieran-123 said:
Mate you've really convinced me that bricking will not occur,I think that this will be a bigger and more lively version of the dsi,system updates that are cards will get past,just like I said more frequent this time.
I hope they don't stop online play if your using flashcards.
Anyway I don't think nintendo care that much at the moment as why would you want to play a blured version of old games when you can buy the new clear 3D games which I will buy because I think they will be worth it and I'm not saying that just because they can't be pirated yet.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kieran-123 said:

Honestly there are only 2 reasonable options that Nintendo has to block flashcarts

1) Block the exploits themselves with repeated firmware updates, then block DSiWare and online access unless you are on the latest version
2) Block users by detecting flashcarts and banning them from the DSiWare store

Bricking should be the least of your worries

vandawn

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
kristymb said:
kieran-123 said:

I don't Think it will be bricked, But I'm erring on the side of caution because I want The Shop Channel, Netflix ect.. That come in future updates.. I personally think Nintendo has a plan by not releasing these items at launch, but i think it is only to block all the cards that have been updated to work with the 3DS.

true and also

kieran-123 said:
QUOTE(kieran-123 @ Mar 30 2011, 08:40 PM)
Mate you've really convinced me that bricking will not occur,I think that this will be a bigger and more lively version of the dsi,system updates that are cards will get past,just like I said more frequent this time.
I hope they don't stop online play if your using flashcards.
Anyway I don't think nintendo care that much at the moment as why would you want to play a blured version of old games when you can buy the new clear 3D games which I will buy because I think they will be worth it and I'm not saying that just because they can't be pirated yet.

true

i am betting my 3ds that the next update probably is going to block every flashcard currently working on 3ds
the problem will be on the flashcard teams to release a newest firmware to be able to play again
consider that on this post we are talking about brickings which are out of the questions for multiple reasons

kieran-123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nds-patcher.webs.com
XP
Country
kieran-123 said:
Rydian said:
The second post lists my reasons for thinking there will not be bricking.
I hope your right and yes I'm going to be a little careful of what I do,I wont be updating until I know it's all clear.
To be honest tho I don't think they can detect the flashcards,it will just show up as a game that you've played a lot! But then again if you have played a cretin game a lot then they can see if any flashcards are using that bootstrap and I think then they could guess,the only thing to do would be update the bootstrap a lot...

mrfidgit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey there, what i'm actually afraid of is that they said that they will use same update-strategy as seen for the wii:

New Games will just work with newest Firmware...Firmware will come via internet or cartridges source...so IF, and i really mean IF it is not a tactic to scare us and they really block the internet support, do you think we will be able to update our firmware via cartridges/flashcards? I dont care about internet on my 3ds but i really care about getting future updates if I really need them for new games.

Also i wonder if all Flashcards may be logged with same information (I guess every game has some kind of serial number...production number etc.). Like, every 3DS owner using game (insert gametitle a flashcard uses) with specific number (enter specific number) will not be able to use online services.

I usually don't give a
p1ng.gif
about this anti piracy tactics, but I know how hard it is to get my wii updated when there's a new firmware a game is asking for.

(Im sure they won't brick their own systems!)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The whole update thing happened on the DSi (though games don't require it), any decent flash cart with an updateable bootloader (such as the Acekard 2i or Supercard DSTwo) can be updated to bypass blocks in new firmwares.

Flash carts don't modify the system itself, you can just update your cart and then update your system.

DS/i games do not seem to have serial/production numbers, or if so it's never been mentioned anywhere I've seen. As for 3DS games, no flash cart plays them and there's not even any dumps and there's no plans to make anything that plays them, so nobody knows.

darkusmaster96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guys i got a good question ok so (and please excuse my terrible grammer) if i have a original ds and a 3ds and i have a completed pokemon white a r4 with a completed pokemon platinum and a completed pokemon pearl can i put my flash cart in my ds and pokemon pearl in my 3ds and transfer my pokemon from the r4 to the 3ds and if i do will it be bricked? cuzz it isnt inserted into the 3ds all the regular pokemon in my r4 platinum are real btw i transfered them from previous games and im hoping to migrate to pokemon white after trading but answer my question first please.

kieran-123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nds-patcher.webs.com
XP
Country
darkusmaster96 said:
machomuu said:
darkusmaster96 said:
a good question
I beg to differ.
This there is NO BRICKING. None. Zilch. Nada.
im asking if someone has bigger balls than me to try and transfer a r4 pokemon on a original ds to a legit pokemon on a 3ds
Fine when my acekard 2i comes I will do it because it's fine and I really beleave there won't be any bricking.
I've already used a flashcard with a ds light and played on ds download play using my 3DS as the other DS.

RandomRedMage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honestly amazed that these conversations are still going on... When I get some extra cash I am going to get a 3ds. I doubt any of Nintendo's threats really have any merit. Likely they have implemented new anti-piracy techniques sure. But if you pay attention to some reality. Anti-Piracy is a two part system, Half of it takes place on the console, decryption and the like, the other half takes place in the game media. Encrypted game data, signed code, stuff like that. It's highly likely that they have added more security to their device, and it's even more likely that this security is going to be effective at slowing down hackers from pirating 3ds games.

It's already been proven that we can run flash carts on the 3ds system to play DS games. And this has been overall achieved by spoofing the headers of legitimate games. Nintendo has no implementable way of completely checking the cart to see if it is a proper cart, and not a 'flash cart.' since that would in reality require them to have a data bank on EACH 3DS of each and every game made, and it's data, to cross reference with.

That is why the system has always checked the header of a game cart and if the header was properly formed, the cart worked fine. Booted and ready to game. Because the system doesn't have any suck massive databases, just an information cache to check the header file against. Good header, bad header.

This being said, for the billionth time, take into account when you insert a game cart into the console and it does not make a proper connection, the console reads garbage incomplete data. In the account of a real game cart this can result in a blank cart icon to appear in the DSi screen, or no icon at all, and when attempted to run, it throws an error.

If they were to really log everything at this level, and a cart were to be improperly read, such that the header data seemed to be garbage, the console would likely mark that as unauthorized, unlicensed hardware, and then, with whatever method of bricking they use, kill the console. And in that case would be killing a legitimate console because of a simple software media error?

I think not. They couldn't risk the backlash that something like that would cause. Their only option is to try to block us from using these cards, by making the consoles not allow them to be run. And this is possible at a boot level. As demonstrated by a 3ds console in a Target store. The unit had a demo cart in its game slot, the demo being of "Pilot Wings." With this cartridge inserted into the console, upon system boot, the cartridge was checked, BEFORE the 3DS OS was even loaded, and the demo was started. The "Home" key was disabled in this mode and there was no way to get into the 3DS OS on the unit while the cart was installed.

Meaning it is in fact possible that they can make the console NOT BOOT if a flash cart is inside the slot. By simply making the 3DS check its game slot at boot each time, and shutting down immediately. But from a legal standpoint it is my belief that this is ALL they can do. Until the big N decides to act otherwise, all these wordplays can be seen as nothing more as simple threats and propaganda of war against pirates and flashcard users.

[All statements above are meant to be the sole beliefs of the poster RANDOMREDMAGE and not to be taken as exact fact, as humans are a fallible species of the muddball earth. ]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok I will, thanks for the reminder +2