Homebrew 3ds brick unknown update

President_Cherry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(I was already on 11.13 so maybe this is why this happened.) I was just casually scrolling through my 3ds home menu. I got a popup saying that my system needed to update. I just pressed yes and it updated as usual. When it rebooted the 3ds, it showed an "exception occurred undefined instruction" so I pressed b and turned it off and on again. It still shows that. Is there a way to fix this?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(I was already on 11.13 so maybe this is why this happened.) I was just casually scrolling through my 3ds home menu. I got a popup saying that my system needed to update. I just pressed yes and it updated as usual. When it rebooted the 3ds, it showed an "exception occurred undefined instruction" so I pressed b and turned it off and on again. It still shows that. Is there a way to fix this?
update luma to this https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v10.2.1

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download the new luma,extract it and copy the boot.3dsx and boot.firm files to your SD root,this will "unbrick" your 3ds

I did this with the 3DS I'm working on, but it just shows a black screen on boot. Any chance there is something I missed? This 3DS was softmodded through the now patched browserhax if that makes any difference.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did this with the 3DS I'm working on, but it just shows a black screen on boot. Any chance there is something I missed? This 3DS was softmodded through the now patched browserhax if that makes any difference.
did you extract the boot.firm from the zip file or just place the whole zip on the sd card root?

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Did you extract it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Copied the files to the root of the SD card.
Send us an print of your SD root

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• 3DS_sd001.png
    3DS_sd001.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 292

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
rule one if hacking should be never to update firmware unless it's been deemed safe. this should be common knowledge by now.

And rule number two should be always do a full nand backup before updating even if it has been confirmed to be safe. Actually, you should do a full nand backup more often than that.

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yep,screenshot is the same of "print",well,that's odd,ur SD is original? What brand and size it is?
Try to clean your SD adapter and micro SD or get an extra SD(if you have) and test it with only boot.firm and an empty luma folder

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
64GB MicroSD SanDisk, formatted to work with the 3DS. At least before now. :rofl2:
That explains a bit,it's new? If so,format it to fat32 32kb cluster and try again,if doesn't boot, backup the SD to your computer, format,download h2testw app and test it to see if it's original or an pirate unit,when it finishes,screnshoot the result to send here

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to clean your SD adapter and micro SD or get an extra SD(if you have) and test it with only boot.firm and an empty luma folder

Its FAT32 32kb clusters just to make sure with the format type.

Didn't work. While I'm sure it is formatted correctly, I'll be reformatting it again. Time for the slow process of backing things up!

Edit: 2 hours and 30 minutes. The SD card is very full. So... go to bed if you need to!

Last edited by BenRK,

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That explains a bit,it's new? If so,format it to fat32 32kb cluster and try again,if doesn't boot, backup the SD to your computer, format,download h2testw app and test it to see if it's original or an pirate unit,when it finishes,screnshoot the result to send here

Reformatting seems to have fixed the issue. Really not sure why this was an issue as I was sure I had it formatted correctly before, but hey, problem fixed.

Reactions: MrVtR

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i don't know whats up with people don't even understanding the most basic shit when it comes to homebrew.

Over at the Wii U side i've seen people brick their consoles using CBHC because for some unknown reason they decided to pirate a game like Brain Age, which makes the whole thing kinda ironic if you ask me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs