Hacking 3d mode in browser?

thealeks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if anyone here at gbatemp has any ideas how to activate 3d mode on the browser so webpages could be made for 3d viewing on the 3ds. I had a couple ideas but am unsure about them:
1.Trick the browser into thinking the page is a dynamically changing mpo(unlikely, I know)
2. Use javascript/html/other web languages to detect 3d slider/3d mode, come up with custom code to activate 3d mode
What are you guys' thoughts/ideas?

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't view someting in 3D in the browser if it wasn't meant/made to be viewed in 3D.

Example: Google doesn't make their site in 3D. So how do you expect the 3DS to show you something that doesn't exist. This is like expecting 2D-only Nintendo DS games to be played in 3D It just doesn't work that way.

Now there are rare links on the internet that allow you to view that image alone in 3D. but the other 99.99999999% of your 3DS browser will forever and always be a 2D experience, because here's a shocker:

Nintendo could not be bothered to give the web browser support for Flash or Youtube videos, as well as the bandwidth/speed necessary to actually view them. So goes bye our ability to view and enjoy 3D youtube videos and web/flash applications.

Also... the things you suggested about the whole editing/tweaking/java script thing... these are all things that would require you to hack the 3DS firmware itself to the point where you can customize it at will. Such a feat that is not possible, or more acurately has not been done yet, even on older DS and DSi firmware, let alone any version of 3DS firmware. Check back when there has been great and open advancements in 3DS hacking. Here's a spoiler:

There currently are none.

Reactions: 1 person

andibad

Soon™
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
2. Use javascript/html/other web languages to detect 3d slider/3d mode, come up with custom code to activate 3d mode
What are you guys' thoughts/ideas?
1. 3DS web browser is a mobile version of browser (is opera engine based?), is just can load simple javascript only!, so is NOTHING for that, until 3DS hacked, is never will work.
2. web browser is not programmed to can used 3DS mode engine, so is nothing to do without hack 3DS first or never?
3. to make video is look 3DS, is have some trick to make them split into 3 layer is make look 3D. is useless if that flash "swf" are not programmed to used 3DS 3D Mode engine ... it will 2D forever. javascript will can't handle that without web browser are support that mode.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
The 3DS web browser is NOT opera.
google is your friend. Use it.

There are now MANY 3D websites, they are in full 3D on your 3DS.
3ds-screenshots.com is one of many. Colors!3DS main website is in FULL 3D.
All you have to do is program your website to display your website with side by side text and pictures. Anything not made this way will be flat.

3D websites are very nice to look at and really make the 3DS shine.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
i was thinking nintendo could update the browser & the font on the top screen can be in 3d & images, from the background. then when click on the image as we currently do we can view images in 3d & download.

currently we can just view images in 3d & download teh frmo browser.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country

All you have to do is program your website to display your website with side by side text and pictures. Anything not made this way will be flat.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country

So much fail... web pages cannot be viewed in 3D. Only MPO files can be viewed in 3D in the browser, HTML and images embedded in the web page cannot.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
http://www.3ds-screenshot.com/ many gallerys
http://www.3ds-screenshot.com/gallery-orioto.html my favourite gallery
http://www.3dsbuzz.com/new-colors-3d-screenshots-released/ new (from above website also)

I see about the HTML coding being wrong.

But 3D files on the top screen work fantastically online. You can download them straight to 3DS too.

thealeks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how many people didnt read my post before commenting. I meant I wanted to make my own page in 3d, not view all internet pages in 3d. And I figured if it was possible to trick the 3ds into allowing 3d pages to be made, more people would make them.

I didnt mean websites with 3d pictures for viewing on 3ds, I meant making a website in 3d, by tricking the browser.

Also, I googled the topic extensively before posting, and no one seems to be working on this, or at least they're not talking about it.

So what you guys basically are saying is, the 3ds cannot be made to do anything it wasnt preprogrammed to do, so we shouldn't even try. Wow its a wonder none of you ever created a hack for anything, with that kind of positive attitude.

The 3ds has a custom browser based on netfront with webkit, which has known exploits, which might be something to look into.

And 3d is allowed while viewing valid mpo pictures, so it would seem that if one could figure out what part of the mpo the 3ds reads to decide whether to activate 3d(its not the .mpo extension) then maybe that could be programmed into the site somehow. I'm not an expert here, but the browser seems to have decent support for most web languages, so maybe someone else on the site who didnt join a hacking website to tear down hack ideas can weigh in on the subject

thealeks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We did read your post. You just didn't explain yourself very well.
Really? Which part wasn't clear? The part where I said:
...any ideas how to activate 3d mode on the browser so webpages could be made for 3d viewing on the 3ds.
Seems pretty clear what I was asking. I said I wanted to activate 3d mode so webpages could be made for 3d viewing. I don't see the misunderstanding here.

Also, I don't wan't to change or edit the browser in any way, I wan't to make a webpage that could trick the browser into allowing 3d to be turned on

thealeks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's a little hard to veiw a 2D image in 3D...

And the 3DS doesn't allow 3D in browser anyway... So even 3D pages wouldn't be on 3D.

That's why I thought the browser would have to be tricked into allowing 3d. If we could figure out what part of the mpo file the 3d browser reads before activating 3d mode, maybe we could send that information in, say, the header of a webpage, and in the body of the page, send left and right eye images, and viola, 3d! Now obviously its not going to be that simple, but seems at least plausible to me

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States

thealeks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think 3d mode is activated by the .mpo extension, If you rename a .mpo to .jpg and access it from the 3ds browser, 3d is still available, and conversely, if you rename a jpg to mpo 3d is not available. This leads me to believe 3d mode is activated by some bit of code in the mpo, the dual image, or some combination of both. Just a thought.

Edit: And by rename I mean change the file extension

thealeks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously no one on this site cares about this subject? I guess this forum should be renamed from "3ds hacking and homebrew" to "flash cart talk" seeing as thats apparantly all anyone here cares about. I thought 3d websites(which opens the door to 3d javascript games, which has been a popular topic on the net) would interest people but I guess playing illegal games is more imortant than utilizing the device to its full potential. So much for forward thinking.

I know there are good coders and people who are very knowledgeable about these sorts of things on this site, maybe we can get their input?

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seriously no one on this site cares about this subject? I guess this forum should be renamed from "3ds hacking and homebrew" to "flash cart talk" seeing as thats apparantly all anyone here cares about. I thought 3d websites(which opens the door to 3d javascript games, which has been a popular topic on the net) would interest people but I guess playing illegal games is more imortant than utilizing the device to its full potential. So much for forward thinking.

I know there are good coders and people who are very knowledgeable about these sorts of things on this site, maybe we can get their input?

You do realize that the 3DS browser isn't even given access to all the power of the 3DS because it's meant to run while a whole game is being suspended in the background?

So I don't see how you'd be able to run 3D javascript when the browser can barely load any gifs. The only reason the browser can use 3D is because it supports .mpo files, not because 3D capabilities are enabled in the browser. Even if a hack were able to allow 3D capabilities in normal web browsing, as I said before, I don't think it would have enough processing power to load it.

And if you're going to say "well, that's why you have to hack it and give the browser access to the 3DS's full power", then that's really no different than finding any other hack or exploit which is what EVERYONE is looking for right now. So don't say that people are only looking for a way to play illegal games.

celcodioc

Major A$$hole
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, a server script that reads HTML and generates an MPO image (based on the tags - h1 would be "closer" on the 3D screen while normal text will be "in the back") is fully possible, but you wouldn't be able to click the links and stuff... and the entire page will just be a static image...

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was made... I lack the JavaScript and PHP skills that are required to do it, though.

thealeks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize that the 3DS browser isn't even given access to all the power of the 3DS because it's meant to run while a whole game is being suspended in the background?

So I don't see how you'd be able to run 3D javascript when the browser can barely load any gifs. The only reason the browser can use 3D is because it supports .mpo files, not because 3D capabilities are enabled in the browser. Even if a hack were able to allow 3D capabilities in normal web browsing, as I said before, I don't think it would have enough processing power to load it.

And if you're going to say "well, that's why you have to hack it and give the browser access to the 3DS's full power", then that's really no different than finding any other hack or exploit which is what EVERYONE is looking for right now. So don't say that people are only looking for a way to play illegal games.

The 3ds doesnt handle gifs well not for lack of power, but because it had terrible gif support. Try any javascript games and you,ll see it has the power to handle it just fine. It actually has really good javascript support. Its just a matter of generating 2 images with js.

Also is netfront a particularly bad browser? There seems to be a lot of people who are dissapointed at the switch from opera to netfront for the 3ds. I think it works pretty good. In my mind the only think the dsi browser did better was it had support for bookmarklets.

thealeks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, a server script that reads HTML and generates an MPO image (based on the tags - h1 would be "closer" on the 3D screen while normal text will be "in the back") is fully possible, but you wouldn't be able to click the links and stuff... and the entire page will just be a static image...

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was made... I lack the JavaScript and PHP skills that are required to do it, though.

True you'd have no stylus support but maybe the analog stick/d pad/a button would still be readable? Thats all it would really take to navigate the website, especially if the site were designed for ease of navigating with those controls. So as long as the other controls remain readable i wouldnt count that idea out

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end