Hardware 3D a gimmick?

IRISH OS1R1S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Before the 3DS launched many a games journalist and gamers were saying how the 3D was a gimmick and the novelty would be short lived.
Well I have had my 3DS for a few days now and think the 3D is fanfrickintastic, infact I think it would be hard to go back to playing a handheld with a 2D screen. I believe it really adds to the gameplay of certain games like pilotwings and ridge racer and makes games far more immersive.

So my question is whats your opinions on the 3D for the 3DS, gimmick or greatness?

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
I can't comment from personal experience just yet but commenting on the general consensus i've read on this forum over the past few days, most people were fairly surprised by how good it is.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IRISH OS1R1S said:
Before the 3DS launched many a games journalist and gamers were saying how the 3D was a gimmick and the novelty would be short lived.
Well I have had my 3DS for a few days now and think the 3D is fanfrickintastic, infact I think it would be hard to go back to playing a handheld with a 2D screen. I believe it really adds to the gameplay of certain games like pilotwings and ridge racer and makes games far more immersive.

So my question is whats your opinions on the 3D for the 3DS, gimmick or greatness?
Assuming you using gimmick as a negative thing then no.

I'm with you the feature is fanfrickintastic.
tongue.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread has been made about 20 times already.

Yes, 3D is a gimmick. It's a huge gimmick.
Gimmicks aren't bad. They're just... gimmicks. They create a selling point for a product.

The first handheld was a gimmick, the first touch screen was a gimmick, the first 3D anything was a gimmick.
Now we have all three gimmicks in an easy to carry gimmick.

Gimmick or not, it's up to you to decide whether it's good or bad.

But even if you don't like it, Sony's gonna release the same thing with better graphics and less games in about 5 years, while Nintendo's handheld will have a totally new gimmick we can all enjoy.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
It's a gimmick by the very definition of the word. Now, if Nintendo doesn't allow devs to utilize 3D in innovative gameplay mechanics, then it will still remain just a gimmick.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I wasn't really impressed by the 3D, it's just movie 3D without glasses. It doesn't really pop out, just an illusion of depth.

Of, course, the 3D is pretty gimmicky, games will play fine without the 3D.

D

Deleted_171835

KingVamp said:
You do know it can do pop out 3D too right?
Do you own one?
I have one and most of the 3D effects are an illusion of depth rather than stuff popping out in your face. Even when it does pop out in your face, it isn't that prominent.

IRISH OS1R1S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SoulSnatcher said:
KingVamp said:
Do you own one?
I have one and most of the 3D effects are an illusion of depth rather than stuff popping out in your face. Even when it does pop out in your face, it isn't that prominent.

Well it is just a screen, so cleary its an illusion.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
KingVamp said:
Do you own one?
No, I seen/played one, but that not the point. I was just saying it can. What wrong with better, helpful depth anyway?

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, as much as I want (and will have) the 3DS, I can't help but think. Isn't the 3DS horrible for your eyes? Will there be some sort of 3D backlash on the strain/possible damage this does to your eyes?
ohnoes.png

IRISH OS1R1S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been using it alot the last few days with the 3D on max and its never bothered my eyes so far, but maybe some people are more susceptible than others.

D

Deleted_171835

KingVamp said:
No, I seen/played one, but that not the point. I was just saying it can. What wrong with better, helpful depth anyway?
Nobody said there was anything wrong with depth.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
I've had it for a day. IMO it's just a PLUS in graphics. The UI is still a bit slow, there are loading screens like the PSP, no REAL multitasking except for the icons on top, and yeah, no great games (mostly PORTS).
i was hoping for the said "INSTALL THE GAME CART SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BRING IT ALONG", but i guess we will have to put up with the massive amount of STALLING of nintendo with their incomplete unit.

(i've had a number of incomplete devices, which is frustrating)

hell my Samsung Vibrant feels a lot faster even with a PS1 emulator running and browsing youtube videos.

but it is a dedicated gaming machine, and the future games are what i am looking forward to....

..and NO, 3D is not the future. Especially if not everyone WILL and CAN use it.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It IS a gimmick. If you look up the definition of the word, it doesn't say it's a bad thing. It's just something unique to get people to play it.

And it works, because every news report, every review, and every person at school only focuses on/asks about the 3D.

It feels like "non-gamers/people who do not know much about it" only are interested in the fact that it can display 3D without glasses.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah sure the 3D is gimmicky, but I find "gimmick" has been associated with bad things - well, what I mean by that is people use "gimmick" negatively.

It's a gimmick, but it's a damn good one, I think it's fucking dope as shit, and even if it wears off, so what, new games will come out, and then you'll be interested in seeing the 3D in that game.

EDIT:

I did not see the person above me, what he said was excellent.
smile.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel like we've been over this before. Yes, the 3D is a gimmick. The touchscreen was a gimmick when the DS originally came out. The gimmick is the selling point when it comes to Nintendo consoles anymore. You have the Wii with motion control, the DS with two screens (one being the touchscreen), and now the 3DS with the 3D and the touchscreen. That's not to say it's a bad thing though. Don't think of it that way.

I kinda wish we could just have systems sold based on content and design like the good 'ol days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.