360/PS3 question

mcsquared

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I havent found anywhere that I can get an answer to this so can anyone who has one tell me

Im looking at either a PS3 or 360 and want to know if either of them play divx/xvid, will they stream over my wireless network and is there a way to play files off my usb powered portable hard drive as I have about 150gb of stuff on that and the ideal would be to just plug that into the console so i can play files through my tv without having to use my laptop

cheers

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS3/360 can play divx, but not xvid. The 360 cannot play divx streamed over a network, it must be on a usb device. The ps3 has to have a 3rd party streaming program, like tversity. I think the 360 does too. But most of the streaming servers will convert any file to a streamable format to your 360/ps3.

My advice, if you're looking for a mediacenter/gaming device, get an orriginal Xbox, and mod it. Best media capability for standard definition media out there.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The PS3/360 can play divx, but not xvid.

Divx and Xvid are basically the same (and thus usually interchangeable) and the 360 defiantly can play Xvid, I know I have tested it.
TBH the quality did suck a bit compared to XBMC, if you have a HDTV with DVI(HDMI)/VGA in one of the best things is a cheap PC. I have a media server running on mine, I generally share things to XBMC but HD content has to go through the computer and its quite nice on it, even the SD content isn't bad. It wasn't that expensive, if you exclude the 2.82TB (soon to be 3.82TB) of hard drives in it.

EDIT: TVersity works with the 360 (or at least did last time I used it) but sharing like that to a 360 can be a pain and can require a powerful PC depending on what you are streaming.

mcsquared

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
great, now all i need to do is decide which to get, got 1 mate with ps3 and about 4 with xbox gonna wait till end of jan/feb to see if the fables price drop as spoken about on maxconsole happens

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is little chance of a price drop, especially in the UK we have just got a new "offer" for a 40GB PS3 and two games (you can choose from a list) for £350.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'd prefer ps3 for media center thingy. you get free blu-ray player. hehe
and ps3 plays xvids atleast most of them. hmm and wmv

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The PS3/360 can play divx, but not xvid. The 360 cannot play divx streamed over a network, it must be on a usb device. The ps3 has to have a 3rd party streaming program, like tversity. I think the 360 does too. But most of the streaming servers will convert any file to a streamable format to your 360/ps3.

LOL, you know absolutely NOTHING about the 360's media capabilities. It DOES do XVID. It can play ANY compatible video file while streaming over a network, including HD content. I do it all the time. Will also play video files burned to DVD or stored on USB device or external HDD. You DO NOT need Tversity, unless you have a video file that needs to be converted. Also, you can use your 360 as a Media Center extender and have access to windows media center on your TV.

Now, go forth and spread your new found information
lecture.gif

jszelei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the ps3 was recentely updated to play both formats through the windows media server. Also, Yes, you can use an external hard drive as long as its formatted FAT 32, im using a 250 gb one. You can also used usb flash sticks.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 will play xvid or divx. I have found that the PS3 will not play all your xvid files, and the xbox 360 will. The PS3 will probably need the xvid on it upgrading sometime. With the PS3 though it does come with wireless, but when I tried it, I found it to be slow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol