Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gbatemp_recommends_revivla_logo2_build-1.png
Welcome to the 29th issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The things we recommend may be "old school" titles, a Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

GBAtemp Recommends!

NHL 95​
gallery_111084_186_25478.jpg
gallery_111084_186_21933.jpg
gallery_111084_186_8232.gif

NHL 95 was an ice hockey game released for various platforms towards the end of 1994. The game built upon previous installments in the series by offering new enhancements and game play elements. The most noticeable improvement to the Genesis version was a graphical update, which included new character sprites and smoother animations. New game play enhancements featured drop passes, fake shots, and a defensive maneuver that allowed players to drop to the ice in an attempt to block shots. While each new update was a welcomed edition, it was the ability to create, trade, sign, and release players during a complete NHL season that enticed most gamers.

NHL 95 included a notorious goalie fake shot that made it extremely easy to beat the automatic goalie. Players who were able to dominate others had to master the manual goalie controls, which made it possible to have incredibly long shutout streaks. The game featured many individual player stats which allowed gamers to tweak a perfect scoring line, as well as a skilled defensive line. Thanks to word-of-mouth and local neighborhood competitions, by the end of 1995 this game became the hockey game to have on the Sega Genesis.

Each installment of the NHL series from EA Sports have offered elements which appeal to different gamers. It was NHL 95’s full season and smooth manual goalie controls which appealed to me. Those among us who continue to enjoy old hardware will be pleased to learn that NHL 95 can be purchased for under a buck! If you do decide to give it a play make sure you bring a friend along, the verses game is where this gem truly shines.

Genre: Sports
Type: Retail
Release Date: Oct/Nov 1994
Developed by: High Score Productions (Genesis)
Published by: EA Sports
System: Genesis

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future.

controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoyed the 94 rev of NHL on Genesis. The 93-94 Penguins were UNSTOPPABLE! Jaromir for the win baby! I just can't believe Jagr is still playing. The guy is an animal.

Good writeup! Always appreciated and a good read.

I forgot to mention, I have the pleasure of playing it on a real SegaCD in full 320x224 glory.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i got my start with 94 as well. i just remember how i loved the full season option of 95. by the time 95 was in full swing i was so good at being goalie that i had a 3 month long unbeaten streak.

its funny to me that someone voted the post down but didn't have the courage to leave a comment.

-another world

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah not having a season in 94 blows, i wish i could jack the difficulty up as well. the goalie glitch makes it soooo easy, maybe if the AI played harder it would be more fun.

the gbatemp writeups are the only excitement in my stale life, you guys better keep going.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i'll keep doing it until i hit 52 issues, which will be one full year. after that i'll consider it if i have enough stuff to write about. i wish i could find someone who was as into retro pc gaming as i am into console gaming. there are some great pc stuff that could be recommended, but i feel like i don't have enough knowledge to really recommend some of it.

-another world

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only ice hockey game I've ever played was Blades of Steel for the NES, but then again ice hockey is not a very popular sport in Holland.

h8uthemost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing a lot of retro sports games lately(Tecmo Bowl, Tecmo Super Bowl, Blades of Steel, Ice Hockey, etc) but have never played this one.
Definitely gonna fire it up after this write up, those features sound great.

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat