3 in 1 Expansion Pack + R4

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by NeoNess, Oct 8, 2008.

Oct 8, 2008

3 in 1 Expansion Pack + R4 by NeoNess at 4:19 AM (1,070 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. NeoNess
    OP

Newcomer NeoNess Newbie

United States
    I'm sure its been asked many times, and I apologize, but I couldn't find anything by searching.

Using the 3 in 1 expansion pack with the R4, is there any way to get past the 16MB limit? Trimming didn't get rid of enough space.

2. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Yes, any games over 16 MB should be written to the NOR which is slow, but has the advantage of storing the game until you replace it.

3. NeoNess
    OP

Newcomer NeoNess Newbie

United States
    I switched modes and uploaded it to NOR.

What do I do once its complete? If I press A again, it goes to 'Erasing NOR'

4. Diablo1123

United States
    Well it sounds like you're using Rudolph's tool thing, and I have no experience with that, so I can't help you there.

I personally use YSMenu which has the advantage of automaticcaly saving the save file when you turn it on, and other stuff, so you might wanna think about getting that for your R4, else wait for someone else to help you with that.

Or try booting into the DS Menu (taking out the R4) and see if it shows up as a GBA game.

EDIT:
    Course you might have to convert your save files for that.

5. NeoNess
    OP

Newcomer NeoNess Newbie

United States
    Once loaded, it gives me the option to press X to load it.

Works perfect. [​IMG]

Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it!

6. Diablo1123

United States
    Your welcome, have fun with the bigger GBA games

7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    while you seem to have figured it out, i wanted to post some additional information for others who read this thread.

the 3-in-1 has two ram modes, psram and nor. the psram can hold any file up to 16mb in size. but psram erases after each power cycle, so anything flashed to it is lost when you power cycle the kit. the nor ram can hold anything up to 32mb in size. so any game that is larger than 16megs must be written to nor so you can play it. nor is a more finalized solution, what you write to it stays until you erase it. you can also boot like a normal gba cart directly into the nor and play what is there. also you can write any file size to the nor, not just those between 17-32mb.

enjoy your 3-in-1!! and while your at it give quakeIIds a try now that you have ram expansion.

-another world