mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, I have tested this from disc and have found no love. If a semi bricked Korean Wii can load disc, it can only be done with mode. Not working for me.

I am going to try to extreact starfox from SSBB-KOR, and paste the header into starfox-usa. See if that changes anything. But as it is now it seems that semi bricked KOR wii does not even try to load disc.

Edit- I have tested this more without luck. The only way this would work from my tests is if the wii had USA system menu, KOR system settings with game region changed to USA.

These are my results with KOR settings and USA menu
Language set to KOR prevents system menu from loading. 3.x loads to health screen, then black screen. 4.x loads to colored purple lines.
System Region set to KOR gives 3.x-4.x (KOR) in RM with USA menu installed
Game Region set to KOR with USA menu- prevents all disc loading, no games, no disc update, no recovery disc, nothing loads or every seems to try to load.

So if someone had a USA system menu installed and had 3.x-4.x (KOR) in RM, I think they must have patched only the game region in setting.txt to USA, then semi bricked. If the game region was USA and the menu was USA you could fix it. Some the user I quoted who fixed a bricked error 003 with 4.3(KOR) in RM, must have had the game region set to USA.

I have only tested from disc, so perhaps there is some wode magic that can fix it. I don't think it can be fixed though. I am pretty sure that a semi bricked wii with all KOR settings and a USA menu is bricked beyond repair, probably true for EURO/JAP as well.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE(leo.uff;573116) said:
My tests:

Using wode in RM with a USA console with 4.3 USA firmware (it´s not a korean wii).

1- All settings KOREA (Language, Console and Game):
SSBB KOR = freeze in black screen (only 15 kb loaded)
SF USA = region mismatch error (0 kb loaded)
SF USA (HEADER KOR) - > SSBB PAL = freeze in masterpieces menu
SF USA (HEADER KOR) - > SSBB KOR = EXPLOIT OK!

2- All settings KOREA except Language (ENGLISH):
SF USA (HEADER KOR) -> SSBB PAL or KOR = EXPLOIT OK!

3- All settings KOREA except Game (USA):
SF USA -> SSBB PAL or KOR = EXPLOIT OK!

Conclusions:
The console region doesn´t matter (it changes only the U / K / J / E in RM). The game region is related to the HEADER and the firmware region is related to the game version. The Korean language only loads SSBB KOR (not PAL).

I wanna to simulate now the dop-ios bug and make the same tests using wode. Do you know how to "bug" the console with this? Do you wanna more tests with korean settings?

OK, so maybe this can be done with wode. I have had no luck from disc, but leo.uff has done it with wode.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that quoted text says he is using 4.3 to do these tests. this thread is about 3.2.

the system menu will only open partitions in the disc after it has checked the value of "GAME" in the setting.txt and matched that value to one in a table that is cardcoded. this is the function that does the checking. the table in 3.2 only handled 3 regions: JP, US, and EU.
sysconf32.png
You can see the value before the strings matches up with the regions for different games. http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Disc#Region_setting .

Having anything other than those 3 strings for your GAME setting will make the function return -1. if it cant match your disc region to what this function returns, it will not open any partitions at all. no updates, no booting anything from the recovery menu.
sysconfgameregion.png

the table for 4.3 has a couple added strings and values, including korean and "CN" (maybe they were planning on introducing chinese region games?).
sysconf42.png

im not sure how the system menu forms the "3.2K" text. i assume it uses either the first letter from the AREA or GAME in setting.txt. if it is from GAME, then i think you are officially effed in the a.

EDIT:
you can try setting the region code in your disc to 0xffffffff. or maybe 0xff? the system menu is doing some extsb. stuff right after is calls this function, but i didnt notice where it says "oh, -1? let me throw an error"

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thank you giantpune, that makes sense and is depressing. But it explains how leo.uff could fix the 4.3k 003 wii, but from what your saying that is not going to work on 3.2.

I will try to change the region code to what you have suggested.

Edit: You would not happen to know what version of system menu introduced detection of KOR region?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just bricked my wii like this on purpose. first off, it says "3.2(KOR)". KOR is the AREA setting, so i guess this is where it gets it from. second, i tried both 0xffffffff and 0xff for the region and it rejects both of them.

so, it seems that you CAN fix a 3.2K wii. but it must have a recognized GAME setting. there is really no way of knowing what the GAME setting is, though, besides trial and error. if the setting.txt has all values from a korean setup, then youre just s.o.l.

leo.uff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Giantpune, you are right. I tried to load a game in a 3.2 USA firmware with korean game region and it doens´t work. I changed the game region to usa and all another settings to korea and it worked. I think the trick to change the header (if game region is korean) will only work on a 3.5+ firmware.

updating the tests:
3.3 - doesn´t work
3.4 - worked

So if is a korean semi-bricked on a 3.4+ firmware the trick should work.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well that is good news for any KOR wiis loading via chip since a 3.3k would take a 3.4+ disc update. So your only screwed if you muck up the region change. Thanks for all the info.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-