off_d

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello!

I've been off the scene and gbatemp for quite a while (over a year). So haven't been updated for quite a long time.

I'm currently using a 3.1E firmware in my WiiKey'd system. Was avoiding updating to 3.2E back then, so stayed with 3.1E. Have used the original Twilight Hack back then and installed some Wads. Also used Trucha back then, and tried some backups from games i bought for my brother's wii system.

Anyways, to cut the long story short,

What do you suggest me doing ? Stay with the current system firm ? And if yes what do i lose on ? Will i still be able to use homebrew and backups ? Or not due to later firmware requirements ? Also if i stay to the current system, what do i gain on ?

If not, should i upgrade to what ? And could you point me to the right direction ? (i can then find the tutorials myself)

Thanx...

ps. I hadn't used the HBC back then, but i am about to install it now.

yazedad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol i was going to ask the same question. but in my case it's 3.3E (with only a modchip D2pro 9 wires, no software installed) , and i don't know where to go from there

off_d

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Bladexdsl said:

ok. upgrade to 4.0. i agree with you without knowing why. would you care to elaborate on the why part ?
smile.gif

i mean, why should we upgrade to 4.0 ? what do we gain, and more importantly what do we lose ? especially in my case where i still have a firmware prior to 3.2 ?

and does this upgrade change something in the way we load homebrew and backups at the moment ? (and let's not forget that we are chipped)

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With upgrading to 4.0 you gain the use of the SD card menu to load any VC/wiiware games, an up to date firmware, with any IOS's you may be missing. And you shouldn't lose anything you already have provided you update through that guide, except for CIOSCORP, which you shouldn't need with a mod chip (or at all even without.)

Loading games shouldn't change for you with a mod chip. I don't think any softmodding really affects modchips much, aside from like installing IOS's that a game may need to run to begin with or something, or enabling skip disc update checks.

Also look into bootmii if you can install to boot2 (if your wii was bought before like mid 2008ish usually)
www.bootmii.org

Chemodile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
you shouldn't lose anything you already have provided you update through that guide, except for CIOSCORP, which you shouldn't need with a mod chip (or at all even without.)
CIOSCORP works fine on 4.0 and there are even instructions on installing it in that very guide.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Chemodile said:
nabster92 said:
you shouldn't lose anything you already have provided you update through that guide, except for CIOSCORP, which you shouldn't need with a mod chip (or at all even without.)
CIOSCORP works fine on 4.0 and there are even instructions on installing it in that very guide.

Yes, I know that, but following the guide gets rid of any previous installation of CIOSCORP does it not? To get CIOSCORP back on 4.0 you have to reinstall it and also install the extra IOS for IOS60. I just meant to say that you would LOSE CIOSCORP if you already had it.

It's a moot point for this case as he has a mod chip and no use for it anyways though.

Chemodile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Chemodile said:
nabster92 said:

Yes, I know that, but following the guide gets rid of any previous installation of CIOSCORP does it not? To get CIOSCORP back on 4.0 you have to reinstall it and also install the extra IOS for IOS60. I just meant to say that you would LOSE CIOSCORP if you already had it.

It's a moot point for this case as he has a mod chip and no use for it anyways though.
Ah, I misunderstood you then.

In any event, 4.0 can do everything the previous system menus can do and more. I can't think of a reason to not upgrade unless you're worried you might screw it up, but even then it's just a matter of following one of the very thorough guides already posted here and/or keeping your NAND backed up.

off_d

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So i guess everyone suggests updating my system.

I have two questions though:

1. In the guide it says to DOWNgrade to 3.2. I am on 3.1, so what happens now ? Do i have to upgrade to 3.2 first and then follow the guide ? And if yes, how do i make the update now ?

2. Is there a way to backup my CURRENT system, before i do the upgrade ? Do i use BootMii for backing it up ? And if yes how do i bring it back if i prefer my older system from the upgraded system ? And finaly do i lose something from my backup when i restore it ?

thanx

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
off_d said:
So i guess everyone suggests updating my system.

I have two questions though:

1. In the guide it says to DOWNgrade to 3.2. I am on 3.1, so what happens now ? Do i have to upgrade to 3.2 first and then follow the guide ? And if yes, how do i make the update now ?

2. Is there a way to backup my CURRENT system, before i do the upgrade ? Do i use BootMii for backing it up ? And if yes how do i bring it back if i prefer my older system from the upgraded system ? And finaly do i lose something from my backup when i restore it ?

thanx
1. Upgrading to 3.2 is the same process as downgrading. You just run cIOS downgrader and select FW 3.2 of your region (make sure you pick the right region).

2. Bootmii can do that. If you can do a boot2 install, you can use the bootmii menu which would then load before the system menu to backup your entire Wii's NAND, and then use the icon right next to it to restore it. You lose ANYTHING you did between the time you made the backup and the time you restored it including any save game progress and whatnot. So backup save games you made progress on and then restore and then reinstall anything else you wanted to keep.

Also note you can make multiple nand backups and store them as restore points in a sense on your pc. Just backup the nand.bin file from your sd card to your pc and then you could make a new one on the sd card later and back that one up too.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I will throw in the dissenting voice here for balance. You only need to update to 4.0 if you want to play wiiware or VC games direct from the SD card. If you dont want to play them via the sd card, as opposed to installing them as a channel, or even at all there is simply no point. Any newer games that you want to play can easily be achieved by staying on your current version and simply installing the relevant IOSs (typically 38, 53 and 55)

off_d

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
ocdetective said:
I will throw in the dissenting voice here for balance. You only need to update to 4.0 if you want to play wiiware or VC games direct from the SD card. If you dont want to play them via the sd card, as opposed to installing them as a channel, or even at all there is simply no point. Any newer games that you want to play can easily be achieved by staying on your current version and simply installing the relevant IOSs (typically 38, 53 and 55)

Actually, i don't have a real concern on playing them off of an SD. Sounds nice, but i can live without it, at least for now.

But, backups, that's another thing. I mean, do i use a Backup Loader ? Do i burn them straight to DVDs ? Do i have to patch them before burning them ?

I mean, last time i remember i used Trucha and/or vga changer, along with regionfrii (ages ago). Do i still have to do that ? Or is there a faster/easier way of playing backups ?

And when you mean installing the relevant IOSs, do you mean finding that IOS and installing it as a WAD ? Or something more ? And how do i know which IOSs a game requires ?

Sorry, i know, loads of questions...

thanx

ps. i have installed bootmii successfuly in boot2 and made a backup as well (at least i think i have, because i see the bootmii menu whenever i boot).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg