PS1/2 240/480 resolution flicker on Chrono Cross

Shenrai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I am currently trying to play Chrono Cross on my PS2 and I noticed the screen flickers once every time I go into the menu in game. I know this is because the resolution changes during this time and was wondering if there was any way to circumvent this?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Hello everyone. I am currently trying to play Chrono Cross on my PS2 and I noticed the screen flickers once every time I go into the menu in game. I know this is because the resolution changes during this time and was wondering if there was any way to circumvent this?
Probably - using GSM:
https://www.psx-place.com/threads/how-to-use-gsm.24269/

If you are new to PS2 modding, ask me again to test (dont have Chrono Cross at hand, but other PS1 games, and an OSSC (which shows input resolution _exactly_), so I should be able to test. Sadly - without having Chrono Cross, this could result in a black screen at the lower resolution... So.. Even my testing wont give you an exact answer..

As far as how to get your hands on GSM, mine already was preinstalled on the Free McBoot v1.966 memory card I got on aliexpress, and the version worked fine with my PS2 out of the box. So I dont have first hand experience, but I would assume, its the same as with any other .elf. :)

Whatever you set in GSM gets reset on the next boot.

And all GSM does, is to tell the console to 'scale up' the image in the frame buffer to the desired end resolution, so its just 'upscaling' on the console (the games arent rendered in the higher resolution ;) ), but for your issue, this would be exactly what you'd want.

So no definite yes, or no - but GSM - should work.
-

The other way around it is to buy an OSSC (80 USD from aliexpress, but might hang in customs, and then you pay extra.. :) ) - switching then is almost instant (not bothersome at all) (played my isos - but have my original copy 'somewhere' in storage, and would need that to test the internal PS2 emulator for you. (Played it on Popstarter).)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: zfreeman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill