Hacking 2084960 Layer Break and Wiikey

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone tried the Wiinja and D2Ckey layerbreak fix on the Wiikey?

I already know that an untouched DL disc will work on the Wiikey just fine, but the 2084960 layerbreak fix seems more "correct" to me, and I was wondering if a copy of Smash with this layerbreak will work with the Wiikey. If it does indeed work, I will be setting the layerbreak to this when the USA version of Brawl rolls around, in order to burn a more "proper" copy of the game.

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I tried this layerbreak fix with a friend who has Wiikey, and it helped him get it working. He was using lower quality media and it made all the difference.

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I tried this layerbreak fix with a friend who has Wiikey, and it helped him get it working. He was using lower quality media and it made all the difference.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely apply it when the USA version of Brawl rolls around.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can someone explain about this layer break business and why you would use it?

Cheers

The layer break is the position where the second layer of the disc starts.

I think I got that, but what's the purpose of what you're doing? Are you breaking the layer to put the game on to 2 dvds or something? Bsically you have a USA copy of the game with an update on it, you break the layer, then you burn that first layer to..?

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@sekhu: An incorrectly set layerbreak may lead to errors, as it does with Wiinja Deluxe and D2CKey. I'm asking if the layerbreak correction works with Wiikey (as the non-corrected version already worked).

@mastermanna: Where have you been?

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Can somebody clear up why you are using this particular offset for the layer break? I just want some kind of technical explanation for it, that's all.

On the original game the layer break is at 2281568 - it isn't physically possible to use this same offset on a DVD+/-R DL.

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
On the original game the layer break is at 2281568 - it isn't physically possible to use this same offset on a DVD+/-R DL.
How do you know that? And why is it not physically possible?

We use this layerbreak because this is what works with D2CKey and Wiinja Deluxe.
smile.gif

Dirtie

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

And why is it not physically possible?
Because the DVD+/-R DL format just doesnt allow for it - there isn't enough space on the first layer.

I don't care that it works, I just want something a bit more specific on why it works (there must be a reason that particular offset was chosen - aligned to certain boundaries maybe? at a spot in the disc that doesn't contain game data?)

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Looking at the disc info for a Memorex +R DL, the "last physical sector in L0" 2283519 which is more than 2281568.

How did you figure out the original's layer break was 2281568 anyway?

Dirtie

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool