GBAtemp Guru
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Too many users and high-definition video downloading will be the end for the internet?
ph34r.gif

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/90339

QUOTE said:
Doom-filled warnings arrive from AT&T this week. The company says that without substantial investment in network infrastructure, the Internet will essentially run out of bandwidth in just two short years.

Blame broadband, says AT&T. Decades of dealing with the trickle of bandwidth consumed by voice and dialup modems left AT&T twiddling its thumbs. The massive rise of DSL and cable modem service in the 2000s has had AT&T facing a monstrous increase in the volume of data transmissions. And that's set to increase another 50 times between now and 2015. That's enough, says AT&T, to all but crash the system.

In response, AT&T says it's investing $19 billion to upgrade the backbone of the Internet, the routers, servers, and connections where the bulk of traffic is processed.

Of course, AT&T is using this breathlessness in part to point fingers beyond simple broadband use. Web video (especially high-definition video) is the most commonly mentioned bandwidth hog. AT&T says video alone will eat up 80 percent of traffic in two years vs. just 30 percent now. One wonders how YouTube doesn't collapse under the pressure. Hmmm.

Meanwhile, many are wondering whether this is prelude to AT&T announcing (or not announcing, but doing anyway) a traffic prioritization/shaping system like Comcast has been tinkering with... and which has earned it nothing but scorn. Net neutrality (which would forbid premium pricing for certain Internet applications and destinations) is a topic that continues to be hotly debated on Capitol Hill, and telcos are anxious to kill the idea since they'd love to be able to charge additional money for different kinds of web traffic. If the whole Internet is about to crash, well, that makes AT&T's argument all the more compelling, doesn't it?

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I've been saving some internets in jars just in case something like this happens. I think I'll have enough for everyone in GBAtemp by 2010 so all of you can crash and camp over here.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning on inventing a new form of internet called OuterPantyhose and it'll run off idiotic n00b thoughts, so should last a while.

Working on something else as well that runs off bad jokes, hell me and Scubersteve could run that until will both die.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll work in pretty much the same way as the OuterPantyhose, only running on bad jokes.

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
You guys better save me some internets, damn you!

Seriously though... AWESOME avatar and sig Orc... Loving the TakoOrcy. Is that sig from Spiral manga?

Your avatar is pretty damn sweet too Urza! Where is that from?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blame the ISPs, they didn't invest when they should have and hoarded the money they made.
In the UK ISPs are saying the BBC should pay towards the upgrades because of iPlayer.

Also blame the consumer, they want cheap broadband but want the most out of it.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Same trouble is troubling Canadian users and providers.

The only solution I can see, is just take the physical infrastructure from them (the providers) "sorry this is now public property" and treat it the way we would sewers, roads, power supply, and make the public pay the needed costs to upgrade the physical portion of the internet to the 21st century.

Otherwise, more and more people trying to use a finite resource is eventually just not going to cut it.
Legit uses have just as much of an effect as non legal functions. And in time, even just legal uses will expect too much from too little.

No one is going to continue paying the same ole fee for service that is becoming less and less of what they paid for.

Many things go up in price, but at least you still get what you paid for. I didn't enjoy a loaf of bread rising to 2 bucks recently, but at least I got a full loaf of bread. They didn't tell me I could only have 10 slices, not the entire loaf.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, just wait. Everyone will be watching the Olympics in 2010, the bandwidth used will plummet.

Unless they watch the Olympics streamed over the internet...
ohmy.gif

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Nah... this wont happend. And seriously every single optical fiber cable can transfer all calls made in Denmark in just one little cable.

And these cables are OVERALL the world.

Correct me if im wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again