2 quick questions...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dmonkey21, Nov 8, 2008.

Nov 8, 2008

2 quick questions... by dmonkey21 at 4:37 PM (932 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. dmonkey21
    OP

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi, so I have 2 quick little questions pertaining to wads:

1. I know that NES VC games for some reason cannot be changed using FreeTheWads, correct? However, is there a way just to tell what region a wad is from on the computer, without editing it?

2. I hear people always talking about using Wad Uninstaller, and I have it, but have never used it. What is the reason for it, when can't you just uninstall the wads by removing the channel in the Wii settings as you would any other channel?

Thanks in advance for any help [​IMG]

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    I have a few NES VC region free with FTW and if you know how to use that app with the start/run/cmd you can see what region the .wad is

Wad Uninstaller, is no longer used, Wad Manager can Install and Uninstall, you can also use Any Title Deleter or as you are saying, thru the Wii Settings

3. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    When you remove a WAD through the Wii's system settings, it leaves a "tag" behind. This "tag" Tells the Wii that you had something on it before (for example, let's say, a VC game you actually BOUGHT.)
    The Wii keeps these tags, so that lets say you delete a VC game you bought, because you filled up 512MB, and then you want to re-download it, the Wii will be like "yeah, I had this game before. Give it back plz" and then the shop channel is like "okay, here ya go"

People use wad uninstaller because it also deletes that "tag". Because people are fearful (this may actually be true and very worth it, but idk. theres no such thing as being too safe) that when this happens, the shop channel might go see "hmm, does anyone else have this tag?" and if it finds the pirated "tag" [which would be on multiple Wiis] it might go "OMG PIRATE!" and the FBI (or whatever agency) might be at your doorstep saying "You've been pirating stuff. Pay us an insane amount of money! Or go to jail!"

So: Using WAD uninstaller for things you pirate > using the Wii's thing.
    Use the wii's deleter for legal stuff.

And idk about #1. sorry.

4. dmonkey21
    OP

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    wow that sux lol. ok I just switched to wad manager I guess I'll just use that to delete them then. What about ones ive already deleted through wii settings? anyway to remove the tag?

So, you can use FTW on nes vc?

5. RadioShadow

Member RadioShadow GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Any wad can be region free to allow the Wii to boot the channel and prevent "this channel can not be used" message.

Region freeing Japan NES games will work on a US Wii. Region freeing PAL NES games will not work on a US Wii.

6. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    There's a great app floating about called WadID.
    You drag & drop, or browse to a .wad. It will tell you the CODE, Region save blocks used, etc.

Worth a google.

7. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico