Hardware 1tb portable WD elements with wii?

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
will i be ok using it with homebrew and wbfs files etc?

ok, im reading that people arent having much luck with 1tb usb powered portable hard drives and that a drive that size should be mains powered...any truth in this?

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
zizer said:
mrpinkeye said:
is it usb powered? what model is it?

1 no
2 HITACHI XL Desk 2TB

ok, my main question was does a drive as big as 1tb have to be powered externally or can you use a usb powered 1tb drive...iv edited the question as i wasnt very clear!

ChaseRahl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using what I believe to be the same hard drive in question for awhile, and while it is a little bit of a pain every now and then, it's not too big a downfall.

Only issues I've had are when trying to have my CFG forwarder channel boot to CFG on my hard drive, it takes a few tries some times, like if I take too long picking the channel the drive spins down or something and the forwarder gives up looking for the drive and instead reboots to the system menu to give me another try. But it eventually loads, and after that I simply pick the game I want to play and have no further problems when in game. The only other thing was that WiiMC didn't always want to pick up the drive, but like 80 percent of the time it usually would, and when it didn't would only require either I unplug and plug the drive back in or maybe just restart WiiMC.

Hope this helps, any other questions?

Edit: Oh, and I believe a easy solution to the CFG forwarder problem would be to put the USB loader files onto my SD card itself instead of trying to boot off the hard drive, because it seems once in CFG, it will have no problem powering the drive and finding it to select. I've just been too lazy to move the files over, and I kinda wanted to not have to have all the image covers taking up space on my SD card.

ChaseRahl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, like 99% sure. Bought it last black friday at target for 70 bucks (along with the 2 TB NONportable version also for 70 bucks).

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i see you edited your post with what i forgot to add..was gonna say i have cfg on sd card, all i want from usb hard drive is to store and load wbfs files and .avi files..so apart from a slight wiimc issue id be ok!?

ChaseRahl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe so. I know I formated it to FAT32, but not sure if that would make a difference if you decided not to. (although ... is WiiMC able to read from nonFAT drives?)

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ChaseRahl said:
I believe so. I know I formated it to FAT32, but not sure if that would make a difference if you decided not to. (although ... is WiiMC able to read from nonFAT drives?)

my current 1tb WD drive is ntfs and reads in wiimc and cfg
smile.gif

that was only set to ntfs by mistake though! i forgot to change it on the drive when i got it (i have 4 externals and it gets confusing!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.