Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
essentialgames.png
GBAtemp Recommends! ChuChu Rocket!
G.R. Issue #25 (GBA)

Welcome back to GBAtemp Recommends! Our popular weekly magazine feature in which we recommend classic Game Boy Advance titles big and small! Wait... What? THE HECK!? An update on a Wednesday? Is that the four horsemen I can see in the distance?

GBAtemp Recommends!

ChuChu Rocket!
gt0036.png
gt0036.png

One of the best (and FREE!) puzzle games on the Dreamcast made its way to the Game Boy Advance on launch. ChuChu Rocket! is a modern day game of cat and mouse.

Thanks to Nick Park, we all know the moon is made of cheese. What we now also know, thanks to this game, is that mice (with a little direction) are technologically literate enough to fly a spaceship. This equals CHAOS! Fun chaos.

ChuChu Rocket is a brilliant puzzle game. There are mice on a tile based board that will walk in one direction until they hit a wall, which makes them turn right. Their goal is to get to their space ship which will blast them to the moon. Of course, the path is never clear for our furry little friends, and it's up to you to guide them by placing directional arrows on the board (of which you normally have a limited number). When they walk over one of these arrows it will force them to change direction. And just to make life even harder for Jerry, who all he wants is a good chunk of cheese, there are cats who will randomly run around the board and if they come in contact with a mouse, will eat him whole. Bad puddy-tat'!

There are 100 puzzle levels in the game, and a further whopping 2500 extra levels to conquer. These range from brilliantly clever to mind numbingly frustrating. And if you guide special mice that periodically appear into their ship, you'll enter special modes that are even more devious. There's even a great multi-player mode to battle it out with friends, which can be a lot of fun as you can be as cruel as you like! A level editor will keep you amused also.

As a launch title for the GBA, the game doesn't really impress in the audio or graphics department. But there's a solid amount of depth to the game with different modes and options. So, if you haven't tried this game yet, either on the Dreamcast or GBA, and you like a decent puzzle game, then this is one we'd definitely recommend.

SEGA really need to re-release or create a sequel to this great puzzler on the DS and/or Wii. Both platforms have ideal input methods. Make it so, SEGA!

Game Synopsis said:
Based on the Dreamcast hit, Chu Chu Rocket! is a first-rate hand-held puzzler for the GBA. As you might expect in the first GBA game from Sega's Sonic Team, ChuChu Rocket! blends high-speed action with truly baffling puzzles. The result is an addictive head-scratcher for as many as four players. The multiplayer modes require only one Game Pak, although each player will need a GBA. GBA Game Link Cables will be needed to link all the systems to together. You can play a multiplayer free-for-all or opt for two-player teams.
Japan.gif
#0006 - Chu Chu Rocket (Capital)
USA.gif
#0036 - Chu Chu Rocket (The Corporation)
Europe.gif
#0316 - Chu Chu Rocket (Independent)

Genre: Puzzle
Publisher: SEGA
Dump Date: 13/04/2001 (J), 07/06/2001 (U), 23/02/2002 (E)
ROM Size: 32Mbit

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these magazine articles in the future. Another game will be featured next Wednesday!

gicon.jpg
View in G-Online
c171.gif
Game Profile at IGN
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History
discuss.png
Discuss

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nice, I'll actually try it out.

I remember seeing the Dreamcast version, but never got around to play it.

I hope the GBA port is good enough
biggrin.gif

Calafas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh my, this is, without a doubt, my favourite GBA game *EVER*, even if you dont consider yourself to usually like puzzle games, still check it out, absolutely amazing game :]

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually bought this for my launch gba and was fortunate enough to find another player. It was so much fun. SEGA what is your problem?! This game is perfect for the DS.
You LAZY LOUTS! RERELEASE THIS GAME. ........(like they are reading. lol)

Great GAME!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents