Gaming 10-15c idle temp good?

pikachu945

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was wondering if 10-15c idle temp is good for my Desktop it is AMD Athlon II X2 250 overclocked to 3.0GHZ
its 2 years old

14c.png

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
VERY BAD.

For a regular CPU, that would be on the cold side.
For an overclocked CPU... The heat probably broke the thermometer.

Get a standalone thermometer (not a computer one) install it inside the case, and get a reading from there.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
Fishaman P said:
VERY BAD.

Get a standalone thermometer (not a computer one) install it inside the case, and get a reading from there.
I agree a temperature like that is not possible. The temperature can't be below the temperature in your room and I don't think you are sitting in a room with a temperature of 10 degree celsius.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Not even close to overheating. I use a laptop and 40s to 50s is what it idles at which is perfectly safe. I'd be more concerned about what temperatures you get on your video card but even then it'd undoubtedly be lower than a laptop's which can run really hot under load. Desktops are cheaper and safer but I prefer mobility.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Fishaman P said:
VERY BAD.

Actually, considering that the clock seems to be downclocked to 800Mhz in that exact moment, and that Canada isn't one of the hottest countries out there, that temperature seems highly possible.

pikachu945

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess me getting a reading of 20-25c the room temp has something to do with this for sure oh well
can someone tell me a safe idle temp for a Desktop?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
pikachu945 said:
I guess me getting a reading of 20-25c the room temp has something to do with this for sure oh well
Desktops are safe up to 65-70°C (actually they also work pretty well up to 85°C, but your PC shouldn't really go up there).

pikachu945

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
raulpica said:
pikachu945 said:
Desktops are safe up to 65-70°C (actually they also work pretty well up to 85°C, but your PC shouldn't really go up there).

k thanks for the advice

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My computer's temperature is currently at 33C, with the CPU at 37C. This is after an hour of streaming anime. On high load, it gets up to 42-45C, although the system temperature usually stays around 35C. All this taken with SpeedFan.

As for laptops, on Power Saver settings my media laptop stays at around the same temperature, but under load (on Balanced settings) it goes up to 58-63C. The GPU also sometimes gets up to 73-78C. I won't comment on my tablet laptop since it's a HP and has overheating issues (design flaw that HP knows about but didn't fix until 2 series after).

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
The Athlon II X2 250 is safe up to 74C according to AMD themselves ( http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDe...;f11=&f12=# ).

So as long as it really is about 10-15C in your room, that temperature is realistic. If it was say 30C in your room and your processor said it was only 20C, that means you have a broken sensor. Air and water cooling can only get close to the ambient temperature, never go under.

Also, if your 250 is running at 3GHz, it is not overclocked at all. I have one in another machine and that is its stock speed.

FWIW my Athlon II X3 440 when overclocked but idle (240x4=960MHz) using a Corsair H50 liquid cooler is getting to around 12C, just about my ambient temperature. Once I load up Prime95 to test it (240x15=3.6GHz), temps go to about 30c, well under the limit set by AMD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end