1-2 second blackouts?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Decatro, May 2, 2010.

May 2, 2010

1-2 second blackouts? by Decatro at 10:51 PM (748 Views / 0 Likes) 0 replies

1. Decatro
    OP

Newcomer Decatro Member

Sweden
    I bet it's my half assed hard disk causing these troubles, but since i changed hard disk from an ol 40gb one to a 150gb hard disk i've had these strange "black outs" when playing games, or in this case, Monster hunter tri. I know for a fact that my harddisk isn't very stable, but it IS stable when it loads what seems small amounts of data.

When I let the game standby it sometimes goes completely black for a brief moment, 1 to 3 seconds so far, before going back to normal,
    the wii's lights flashes blue at the same time as well, and it rarely occurs that it lights up constantly until i force the wii console to turn off,
    as if the wii had crashed like when you load up a bad homebrew. Very strange.

About he hard disk itself. I got it from a very electronic-abusing friend who likes to bash his fist on computers that just doesn't work properly.
    Or used to, either way. S.M.A.R.T sometimes reports that my harddisk is on it's way to crash, and when it overheats it clicks once, which is a very
    VERY bad sign.

But at light usage it seem to run just fine, as long i don't overheat it by putting it at a bad air conditioned place.
    So maybe this threat is kinda pointless.

So, my main question is that if I'm right about suspecting my harddisk to cause these, what seems not to be harmful, "black outs".
    If not, what could cause this strange problem, and is it harmful to my wii if I keep using this hard drive? (I don't see why if the wii only gathers information from that source)