002-0121 notes

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ammako, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Ammako
    OP

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    Couldn't find a lot of relevant info on this particular error code, so I'll leave my findings here just in case it could help someone who finds this through Google in the future.

Context: I re-formatted earlier today, reinstalled all my games, and not long after decided to connect my 2DS to Wi-Fi and get a friend code. I was shown a 002-0121 error, "This device's access to online services has been restricted by Nintendo."

I realized shortly after that I forgot unitinfo patch enabled, so I disabled it and tried connecting again, but I only got 002-0121 again. eShop gave the same error code.

This is not the error code for bans (that's 002-0102), and that's especially not normal for eShop. My friendcode seed was not banned either, I could confirm this by using it on another system.

It didn't make a lot of sense why I would be getting that error code, considering that 1: unitinfo patch was off, and 2: the only other way this would have happened, is if my friendcode seed file was invalid.

Turns out that's not true, there's another reason for it. I don't know the details, because I rushed things and did a system format instead of trying to figure out exactly which system savegame was the culprit, but I assume that because my first connection to the internet was made while unitinfo patch was on, it may have led to incorrect data being written to friends module system savegame. In any case, clearing all system data by formatting resolved the issue.

So if you're like me, end up with 002-0121 error, unitinfo patch is off, and you know that you've never tampered with your friendcode seed files, you should be able to solve this problem by formatting (try deleting just the friends module savegame in GM9 first, I haven't actually checked if this was the culprit because I ended up doing a system format first, but if this can save you the trouble of losing all your other system data then it's worth a try.)

2. BaamAlex

BaamAlex (*(vu64 *)0x1FF81100)

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    No. You have to unban yourself. Your friendcode seed was banned by nintendo. Thats the reason why you get this error.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. Ammako
    OP

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    Nope. At the very least, don't comment without having read the entire post.

4. BaamAlex

BaamAlex (*(vu64 *)0x1FF81100)

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    I did.

5. Ammako
    OP

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    No, no you didn't.

Last edited by Ammako, Nov 17, 2019
  6. James_

James_ *Meowstic noises*

Oct 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Meowstic Land
    The 002-0121 error when you search it shows that your friend code seed has been banned.

hmmmmmm

7. Ammako
    OP

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    Your thoughts don't change the facts. 002-0121 only happens when unitinfo is on, or you don't have a valid friendcode seed.

Actual bans get the 002-0102 error code. Or 022-2452 for NNID bans.

The reason why people online associate 002-0121 with a ban is because they have no idea what they're talking about.

Last edited by Ammako, Nov 17, 2019
  8. James_

James_ *Meowstic noises*

Oct 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Meowstic Land
    Stop.

9. Ammako
    OP

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica