hansoffate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

Well, there is another guy in my area that said he can install a YAOSM modchip that he programmed for 40 bucks all together. It seems like a pretty good deal.

Here is the e-mail that I got from him.

Code:
I use an open -source code called Yaosm. I provided the link below. I am a member of that forum under the name Jedz, but i read more than i post. Every code revision i test on my Wii and its been working fine. All the games i've downloaded play without a problem. If you had a problem most likely i would have the same problem since we would be running identical code, i don't have a problem helping you troubleshoot. To be honest i don't think there will be any issues in the near future.

Heres the link.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/yaosm/

I only use Yaosm becuase he only releases stable versions unlike Wiifree that will release a version without fully testing and just to test new theories.

Does this sound alright? He seems to know what he is doing.

Thanks for the input,
Hans

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yaosm is a recognised and respected chip. My only gripe with what you have shown is that the I (when referring to themselves) is not capitalised, still that is minor league really and could just be English is not their first language.

40 is not a bad price but consider that the chip should cost them under $5

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah man, it's a "clone" of wiifree. You can check it out on wiifree's site wiinewz.com

I use yaosm myself. It isn't a WiiFree clone, although the creator did study the WiiFree code a lot while writing his codebase. He has a few different theories about how the drive should function and so it is truly a different code than the WiiFree. It's also programmed in a different language and arguably more efficient than WiiFree. I also like how active in the community the developer is (he goes by Bell), so it makes me feel more connected to the project and I feel like he takes community input very seriously.

I find it to be better on the gamecube side of things than WiiFree and about the same on the Wii side of things.

I charge $25 to install a yaosm or WiiFree chip in someone's Wii, but $40 is not unreasonable.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I stand corrected then. Why is it better for GC? Audiofix?

And I install WiiFrees for 50 bones, chip and labor.

Bell thinks that you can't truly create an effective audiofix through a drive chip on the Wii. There is no specific audiofix code written and people have reported problems with those select games with yaosm just like every other modchip. However, it's very simple to patch the iso of a game with the audio problem and it'll be fixed for everything.

The reason I think I get better GC results (better/faster disk recognition and way fewer "Error has occurred" or DRE issues) is because WiiFree does the "speed fix" routine for GC disks just like it does for Wii disks. The thing is that while Wii games natively read at 6x, GC games do not, they natively run slower. The code in yaosm doesn't apply any speed fixing routines to GC disks, so it runs more like it would with no modchip, theoretically providing better compatibility.

I played through WindWaker from beginning to end without a single DRE on a burnt disk with yaosm that wouldn't get past the "enable progressive scan mode" choice with WiiFree.

hansoffate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. Thanks for all the input. I guess I will go ahead and have him do it for me.

Thanks for all the great advice,
Hans

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I use now YAOSM 1.7

not a single problem with it till now, It's the same as WiiFree 2.45 but the drive speed is slower (and a few other twitches in it, but hé, when it works, i'm happy
biggrin.gif

I preffer ti above the cyclowiz i also have.

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I use now YAOSM 1.7

not a single problem with it till now, It's the same as WiiFree 2.45 but the drive speed is slower (and a few other twitches in it, but hé, when it works, i'm happy
biggrin.gif

To get something clear. The drive spins slower for GC games, for Wii games it uses the same speed as WiiFree (in the default configuration) unless you tell yaosm to run Wii backups at GC speed. However that is how I has it configured and also what I recommend. The difference i loading times are hardly noticable but the difference in noise from the drive is very noticable. Also with yaosm you can configure the default speed to one setting (slow/medium/high) and also an alternate speed setting. The alternate speed setting kicks in when you start a game, exists back to the menu (with the home button on the remote) and then restarts the same game.

You can change the speed settings with the configuration disc if you rather want it to use full speed all the time.

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bell thinks that you can't truly create an effective audiofix through a drive chip on the Wii. There is no specific audiofix code written and people have reported problems with those select games with yaosm just like every other modchip.

That was not really how I meant it. A proper audiofix can of course be done with a drivechip. Wiinja and others have proved that. But Wiinja uses drivecode, which means it uploads code to the DVD controller and runs it there. Wiifree and yaosm run ALL code in the modchip and I do not believe it can be solved without uploading code to the DVD controller. Still I do hope that someone will prove me wrong on that, but I doubt it.

QUOTE said:
However, it's very simple to patch the iso of a game with the audio problem and it'll be fixed for everything.

Yep, FSTFIX 1.5f can fix the ISO so the problem with not having an audiofix is not much of a problem really.

QUOTE said:
The reason I think I get better GC results (better/faster disk recognition and way fewer "Error has occurred" or DRE issues) is because WiiFree does the "speed fix" routine for GC disks just like it does for Wii disks. The thing is that while Wii games natively read at 6x, GC games do not, they natively run slower. The code in yaosm doesn't apply any speed fixing routines to GC disks, so it runs more like it would with no modchip, theoretically providing better compatibility.

It's more than that actually. The way that WiiFree does it's regionpatching without first making sure it's a Wii or GC game is more likely the biggest problem. Some GC games has data in the area where Wii games store their region information. I believe that when WiiFree patches the Wii region area on those GC games the break some code and/or data and the game will crash.

I played through WindWaker from beginning to end without a single DRE on a burnt disk with yaosm that wouldn't get past the "enable progressive scan mode" choice with WiiFree.

If you are curious you can try configuring WiiFree to slow speed and trying the game again. If it works then the speed patching is the reason but if it still breaks then it's the careless regionpatching mentioned above.

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

Well, there is another guy in my area that said he can install a YAOSM modchip that he programmed for 40 bucks all together. It seems like a pretty good deal.Â

As others have said, the chip costs next to nothing so you are paying him for the work. If he is good at it then it's propably a reasonable price.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Sorry for putting words in your mouth. You're not very active in this forum so I thought I'd chime in. It's clear I don't totally understand the programming. My point of course was that your code is superior in my opinion, based on my own observations.

hansoffate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Yesterday I got it done. Sadly, I had nothing to test it with, but he showed me that it worked at his house.

Is there any specific software/media I should Use? I will be using imgburn and VALUE media (just cheap media). Why does everyone suggest good expensive media?

Any good ones online for cheap?

Thanks for all the help,
Hans

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Stick with imgburn and have a read here, it is a bit out of date but will give you a good grounding:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/

Expensive (more specifically the correct brand which is usually higher in price) means better quality discs: disc writing is not an exact science and this is one of the best ways to up quality. Cheap and cheerful should show you it works though.

Online, there are a multitude of threads on the subject but it is worth checking out shops as well: they have sales/end of run more often than it is worth.

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well Yesterday I got it done. Sadly, I had nothing to test it with, but he showed me that it worked at his house.

Is there any specific software/media I should Use? I will be using imgburn and VALUE media (just cheap media). Why does everyone suggest good expensive media?

Any good ones online for cheap?

Thanks for all the help,
Hans

I've tried Fujifilm DVD-R (burned at 4x) and Imation DVD-R (burned at 8x) and they both works perfect on my Wii. Buy a small amount of discs and try it, if it works and they are reasonably priced, stick to that brand. It's as simple as that. What works good for someone doesn't necessarely work for you.

It's a all a combination of burner, media and your Wii drive. Find a combination that works and stick to it. There is nothing that says that a cheap brand won't work.

hansoffate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cheap media that I bought a while ago (i still have about 70 dvd-rs) is working fine.

I was just wondering if cheap media will hurt my wii drive.

Thanks
Hans

P.S.: I love YAOSM. The modder that did my wii up here said he will update YAOSM every time there is a critical update (IE if something doesn't work, he will fix it. If it is just code optimization, he won't).

I saw the soldering job that he did. It was amazing at how fine the work was. I am really glad I didn't do it.

Also is there anyway to join http://psx-scene.com/forums/ . It seems as though the administrator has stopped registration.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Over time burnt media can wear out a drive laser, yes. There's not much you can do about it, and honestly, by the time it wears out you'll be able to get another system for dirt cheap (we're talking at the very least 5 years here, and that's if you play the thing all the freakin' time).

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Really? 5 years? I just want to know because all I've got is some Playo 8x DVD-R's and everyone says those are cheap and suck.

Oh and sorry for reviving a seven-month-old post. I just came across this via Google.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGhhGhvxbvI