Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

Wiikey News Tidbits

Holographic sticker, website up, DVD9 support

wiikey-holo.jpg

As many of you would have noticed, the Official Wiikey Website was down for an unusually long amount of time. The website is now back up with the problem laid on a hard drive crash.

The Wiikey team have started shipping out official Wiikey chips with a holographic sticker to help distinguish between official chips and clones. The sticker is not stuck to the chip itself but is designed to be attached to the outside of your Wii's case, so you can show off your Wiikey pride if you so wish.

Wiikey owners are also in luck as it seems Emu_Kidid (author of GCOS) is working with the Wiikey team directly for his next version of the popular homebrew program. Dual layer DVD support for GCOS is set to be exclusive to Wiikey owners when the upcoming build is released.

Also Emu_Kidid makes mention that the Wiikey update is indeed on the way and is scheduled to hit soon. The update will allow DVD9 support among other things.

*UPDATE* The Wiikey team have revealed that much talked about update is now finished and is in the testing phases. It is to be released in approximately one week.

Wiikey Team said:
We have received positive news from the developers. The long-awaited upgrade to wiikey is basically finished, and is now being tested on different systems to ensure that is is working smoothly. We expect that it will be available to the public around May 15.

We would also like to point out that making the upgrade incompatible with clones have not caused any delays in the process.

icon11.gif
Source

laurenz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dual layer support.... *drools*
About the update: they said plenty fo times that the update would come 'soon'. I don't think that they actually mean it this time.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well the stickers are a waste of money, don't know why they would bother.

but the new gcos and exclusive wiikey feature sounds good. the fact that emu_kidid is working directly with the wiikey team offers better hope for an update soon.

sit and wait

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
biggrin.gif

I want meh damn update nao!
Of course, I doubt anyone really cares whether they are getting an original or clone, so I doubt the sticker will help sales much unless they drop the price to compete with the clone. Just my thought tho, cause there is no honor among theives.

D

Deleted User

I can't believe emu_kid associated with them. The esteem I had for him is now buried six feet under. I might shock some of you, given that some of my work is borderline, but I know of one line you should never cross...

Flam9

Trophies
Website
flamnews.info
XP
Country
Canada
The wiikey sticker sticking out is kinda gay *excuse my french*
But I'm glad to see progress being made. I'm probably going to get one soon
smile.gif

What's with all the wiikey hate?

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone know where to get one of these new Wiikey's with the stickers. Its more of a novelty item. Like owning a real Windows disc with the holographic genuine text over a burned disc that says "Windows Vista x86" with a serial number written under it in marker.

heyyouguys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe emu_kid associated with them. The esteem I had for him is now buried six feet under. I might shock some of you, given that some of my work is borderline, but I know of one line you should never cross...

How do you know he is associating with them, just because he is writing an app that uses the wiikey, does not imply that? It may imply that he has a wiikey himself and is writing the dual layer for himself, but we benefit from it as well. TBH, i am sure he could care less what I or you feel about him.

D

Deleted User

How do you know he is associating with them, just because he is writing an app that uses the wiikey, does not imply that? It may imply that he has a wiikey himself and is writing the dual layer for himself, but we benefit from it as well. TBH, i am sure he could care less what I or you feel about him.

Because if his code needs some flags to be set by the drivechip to allow dvd9 to work, it is clear that he could propose to free chip makers to set it also. The part that says that the support is exclusive clearly states that this is not one of the option. So either, it is indeed a flag and he chooses to keep the information, or it is a wiikey check... Draw yourself the conclusions.

About what the guy cares of my opinion, to do short : I don't care he doesn't care
wink.gif
It's not because Bush surely care less what I think of him, that it prevents me to speak about it.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
You've successfully made a pointless point.
tongue.gif

I understand that such code would be desirable for all available solutions, but seeing as emu_kidd was an original beta wiikey tester, and has been working close with the team since the beginning, it only makes sense that his support continues with them because of this. Without him, the WiiKey utilities disk available would be nothing, so there is obviously a big mutual respect between them both from the start.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I agree, the DVD9-support shouldn't be WiiKey-only. Although, considering the price of one DVD9 compared to two DVD5s, it's a moot point...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I understand where deufeufeu is coming from and pretty much agree however in this part of reality things have a habit of filtering down and becoming better along the way:
Are GST/neoflash the only way to run DS roms?
Do datel have the only nopass around?
Is the wiininja the only Wii chip?
Is clonecd the only way to copy a disc?
Is winrar the only app supporting RAR?

I even expect we will see the open source stuff adopt it fairly soon.

Also deufeufeu what "borderline" work do you refer to?

edit
@yus786 dual layer aka dvd 9 refers to discs that are essentially written to twice doubling the space (to 9 odd gigabytes versus the standard 4.35), normal DVDs are written to once only. It is also the reason for when you are watching a DVD it may pause for half a second about halfway through the film.

D

Deleted User

In fact, I still don't believe emu_kidd was somehow hired by the Wiikey team. I think he mostly does things for fun, and the fact he helped the wiikey team was because the wiikey team has sent him chips and given low-level informations.
Having read a bit from him in some boards, he really doesn't seems to be someone to join things for money... so nevermind my first post here. He something proves he is involved in this in a bad way, I'll change my mind, but from now I'm thinking is only in all this for the fun.Also

QUOTE said:
deufeufeu what "borderline" work do you refer to?
borderline has in illegal under some laws... But crossing the street when the light is green for cars is also illegal so...

yus786

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@yus786 dual layer aka dvd 9 refers to discs that are essentially written to twice doubling the space (to 9 odd gigabytes versus the standard 4.35), normal DVDs are written to once only. It is also the reason for when you are watching a DVD it may pause for half a second about halfway through the film.

cheers for the reply mate, but what kind of advantage does this have, does it mean we can burn 2 games onto one disk?

or does it mean future games might be released on dual layer and we can play them?

regards

yus786

D

Deleted User

cheers for the reply mate, but what kind of advantage does this have, does it mean we can burn 2 games onto one disk?

or does it mean future games might be released on dual layer and we can play them?

regards

yus786

none of the two. It just means that you can make gamecube compilations using 9gb, which makes big compilations. It's good, but given the price, it is not a big deal...
(I might be wrong on this, but it is what i understood from the post)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1