Current Team members

Task Checklist​
[?] Translation of dialogue
[  ] Complete translation of text files
[  ] Complete editing of text files
[?] Create a SVN repo for organization

FAQ

What is this?
This is the english translation of MapleStory DS. Originally started by DarthNemisis, the team managed to translate most of the GUI text before disbanding. The current team, led by Arithmatics is aiming to translate whatever Korean remains. This largely includes the dialogue.

How much was needed to be translated?
Stored in the game image were hundreds of text files, most were empty. Thanks to sightlight most of these have been translated into rough English, save for a few.

How far is this project going?
Again, thanks to sightlight the bulk of the work now is simply editing the rough English into something that is more understandable.

When is the next release
ron975 is in charge of throwing out patches. A patch will come hopefully by the time most of the dialogue is translated.

What is the current version?
The current version of the translation is 0.04 RedSnail

Where can I download that?
Here

I would like to patch my rom
Extract EVERYTHING to a folder, then
Run Patch.bat and follow the instructions.
Patch.bat will not continue if you don't extract ALL the files

Next, follow instructions for your OS

Once you have downloaded the patch file, download this and extract it.
Browse and find the patch file on "Patch"
(Read IMPORTANT below to find the best .xdelta file relating to your rom)
Browse and find the rom on "Source file"
Choose where to save the patched file and then click "Apply"
Wait till a popup comes up saying "Patch Applied Successfully"
Then find your patched file and run

On linux, go into a terminal then type

sudo apt-get install xdelta3
Once it installs, cd to the directory that your rom and patch files are in, then type

xdelta3 patch [original romname] [patchfile name] [path to patched rom], substituting in whatever is nessecary , for example

Code:
xdelta3 patch maplestoryds.nds cleantorsnail.xdelta c:/home/MapleStoryDS_PATCHED.nds

Use MultiPatch
http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/multipatch.html
It's a basic GUI, for "Location of patch file", select the patch file
for "Location of File to patch" select the rom, and for
"Save patched file as" choose where you want to save your patched rom

---------------------------
cleantorsnail.xdelta is for clean roms
trimmedtorsnail.xdelta is for trimmed roms
bsnailtorsnail.xdelta is for BlueSnail 0.03 patched roms
0.02+torsnail.xdelta is for twiztidsinz's 0.02+ patched roms
---------------------------

Can I contribute in any way?
Of course you can. Join our editing squad, ask TehSkull or ron975 to grant you write permissions on the SVN repo
All you need is a subversion client software.

Also, to anyone who helps out, use Notepad++ and an emulator, Preferably DeSmuME, so you can save states. Just load all the files into Notepad++, and then find what you want to edit.
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

You'd still need to have permissions to access the SVN repo to upload your work. Or for personal selfish use, repack your rom after editing.

If you don't want to edit, you can show your support! All you have to do is put the following code in your signature and a userbar will appear

Code:
[url="http://gbatemp.net/t268137-maplestory-ds-english-translation"][img]http://pix.gbatemp.net/234164/MSDS.png[/img][/url]
For this

Changelog:
29/8/11
: Second patch release v0.04 RedSnail
- No more broken coding
- Added a new patcher that works this time around.

14/5/11
: First patch release v0.03 BlueSnail
- Most of the dialogue, weapons, abilities is ROUGHLY translated. Numerous bugs.

23/1/11
: Rough team of translators and hackers assembled. Continued job of previous translation team led by DarthNemesis

[/p]

Credits to

ron975 for extensive work on spacing, code breaks and other things.
sightlight for rough translation,
TehSkull creating a SVN repo,
The original team led by DarthNemesis for the UI translation
twiztidsinz for the Drag-and-Drop xDelta script used in 0.03BlueSnail and image translation

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was wondering about it too....

I cant help thinking that, if there was still a team working on it, a LOT of the story would have been translated by now :/

But I doubt this thread will motivate the old team to start working on it again 3: Oh well...

sedicius

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
There was actually an interest in reviving the Maple Story translation in our Google group few weeks ago.
I don't have admin access so I can't pull out the old files, and neither can some of the people who are still active.
If any of you can contact the older admins and obtain the files, no one needs to start over.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I used to be one of the testers in one of those attempts
unsure.gif

I am starting to think no one is going to fully translate it.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... Yeah I doubt it'll ever get translated. Remember how that one dude said he was going to for sure translate Doki Doki Majoshinpan 2 Duo but never did? I never really have a lot of faith in ROM translations. But if it did eventually get translated that would be awesome.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
NDStemp said:
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
I used to be one of the testers in one of those attempts
unsure.gif

I am starting to think no one is going to fully translate it.

You're starting to? o;
I gave up on M3, I can't give up on 2 things in such a short period of time

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vigilante said:
If you realy want to play the game just play the online version on the pc
Can't get it working on my PC.
Under Windows 7 (32bit), HackShield thing pops up, goes away and comes back, then nothing. Maplestory.exe just hangs using 0% CPU and 40~60,000k RAM.
Under Windows XP Virtual Machine it gives me some DLL class error that I cannot recall now.

Not to mention that Nexon's support tickets take about 3 months to be answered (if you're lucky to have it answered at all... I have a ticket from 2008)

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
sedicius said:
There was actually an interest in reviving the Maple Story translation in our Google group few weeks ago.
I don't have admin access so I can't pull out the old files, and neither can some of the people who are still active.
If any of you can contact the older admins and obtain the files, no one needs to start over.

But it would still be possible if the old files are found? like I thought there seems to be ALOT of parties still interested in translating but due to other parties losing hope/getting bored, it ain't going no where.

What if whoever used to beta test the translation or had any links or some mode of contact to any of the original patchers. This translation project could get revived. I know naturally fan translations don't get much recognition even when you put a huge banner at the start of the game as credits. But its the thought of making countless people happy and playing YOUR efforts that counts.

QUOTE(Vigilante @ Dec 8 2010, 06:35 AM) If you realy want to play the game just play the online version on the pc

Online version damn laggy. :/

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arithmatics said:
sedicius said:

But it would still be possible if the old files are found? like I thought there seems to be ALOT of parties still interested in translating but due to other parties losing hope/getting bored, it ain't going no where.

What if whoever used to beta test the translation or had any links or some mode of contact to any of the original patchers. This translation project could get revived. I know naturally fan translations don't get much recognition even when you put a huge banner at the start of the game as credits. But its the thought of making countless people happy and playing YOUR efforts that counts.
Download the game
Download the patch
Patch the game
Unpack the game with MapleTrans

Aside from notes you'll have their work that was released.

The problem is, finding a team willing to stick together long enough to get it done. This is usually easy to do around this time of year since people go on winter break... but then a few weeks later, everyone is back to being busy with their lives and can't help out (as much).

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The database from the first group is still online. That is, all the text that was ripped and what translations have been done. I don't think the 2nd group ever did anything.

I'd love to work on this project, but no one can seem to get people's asses in gear. Plus even if it was all translated, we'd need a way to put all the translated text back into the game properly.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
The database from the first group is still online. That is, all the text that was ripped and what translations have been done. I don't think the 2nd group ever did anything.

I'd love to work on this project, but no one can seem to get people's asses in gear. Plus even if it was all translated, we'd need a way to put all the translated text back into the game properly.
MapleTrans

Though to be honest, I don't think there's much interest left in MapleStory DS.
My topic keeps falling to the 2nd page: http://gbatemp.net/t266962-maplestory-ds-i...iting-need-help
Not to say I wouldn't like to see it done/completed.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jarejare3 said:
Well how is the latest patch so far that was done by the previous team
Very much playable, but without using a guide you can get lost.

One of the things I did was add the translated key item/character/place names through out the story to give you a better idea of where to go, but you can still get stuck sometimes. I probably could have gone over things a bit better, but my main focus was on graphics.

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Great just what I need. I hate having to play a game using a faq or a guide. Its just annoying.

By anyways can you give a link to those patches it could help me very much.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jarejare3 said:
Great just what I need. I hate having to play a game using a faq or a guide. Its just annoying.

By anyways can you give a link to those patches it could help me very much.
My patch is here: http://gbatemp.net/t266962-maplestory-ds-i...iting-need-help
It will patch your game with the v.0.02b patch (latest released by the original team) and my patch (graphics and cleanup) in one go.
Just drop your CLEAN, untrimmed game onto "Drop CLEAN ROM Here.bat" and you'll be all set.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr