Hacking wiiboxart.com poorly?

rustybanana

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive been trying to get onto the site to manually get some boxart and its been throwing me a 403 for the last 40 mins or so. Anyone know if there is a general problem with the site?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure the boards will be cluttered up in no time with posts from noobs "I have to pay for boxart?" "My covers won't download..." "You mean I have to actually do something for myself and manually add all my covers unless I donate?"

rustybanana

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thats why I made this post
wink.gif

pretender13

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bladexdsl said:
most loaders can download the covers themselves now no need to donate

actually i think now the loaders have to be modified to allow the use of user / pw as that is what the site requires now.
in order to get a user / pw you need to donate.

as far as i know the only loader with this option currently is coverflodder.

but you can still download covers from wiiboxart 1 at a time.

or get the cover / disc packs in the first page of the loaders thread.

neardark

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretender your correct, CoverFloader RC7V2 requires a user name and password to download covers via it, but still non members/donators can still goto the site and download the covers 1 by 1, that's no great hastle if you have most of your covers.

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ld8oy said:
I'm sure the boards will be cluttered up in no time with posts from noobs "I have to pay for boxart?" "My covers won't download..." "You mean I have to actually do something for myself and manually add all my covers unless I donate?"

It's good that they started charging
smile.gif
I don't begrudge anyone a bit of profit... and to think this venture is not for profit is naive. The strategy of providing valuable service/goods then cutting folks off unless they start paying cries of good ole American Capitalism
biggrin.gif
I applaud it! I already paid, in fact.

Since retrieving cover/disc art is now a for-profit venture we should see other sites popping up to offer the same service and see some compete for business... and some that will still be doing it for free.

This should prompt the USB loader developers to add the option of where users can get their artwork. This should have been an option all along as it would have prompted other sites to offer this service and we would still be able to get covers via direct download without interruption
smile.gif

Now the site is down and ppl are going into cover art withdrawal lol. Whether or not the site is down by accident or design, this should punctuate the need to have more than one cover site and the option to choose sites in the loaders.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
disc images and 2D boxart are locked out, last i checked. and i think that the 3D covers were recently blocked as well.

gx should take one of the people up on their free hosting offer. there is no way that a website hosting images < 256x256 moved a TB of bandwidth.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so their charging for covers that aren't really theirs AND weren't even uploaded by them in the 1st place? no offense but that's just being greedy sob. I'll be getting the covers and making them myself from now on. this is the site knock yourself out http://www.cdcovers.cc/ how hard is it to crop and resize an image?!

neardark

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the site is down because they offered those who donated the option to download all the covers from the site in zips.

RolloS60

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dexter222 said:
This should prompt the USB loader developers to add the option of where users can get their artwork. This should have been an option all along as it would have prompted other sites to offer this service and we would still be able to get covers via direct download without interruption
smile.gif

Nice idea, i'll pick up this...

rustybanana

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A lot of the custom disk labels are from peeps on console-covers.com and are probably being used without their permission. Sadly when people start charging for others work the original artist stops work.
frown.gif

Is the site still down?

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
so their charging for covers that aren't really theirs AND weren't even uploaded by them in the 1st place? no offense but that's just being greedy sob. I'll be getting the covers and making them myself from now on. this is the site knock yourself out http://www.cdcovers.cc/ how hard is it to crop and resize an image?!

I agree. It's easy to get the cover images and re-size them in photoshop. I did my own for ones that weren't at wiiboxart.com - and redid lots that were already there because they were wrong - and I uploaded a fair number of the covers that are there. I may not have donated but I actively uploaded cover art. Now I have donated and can't get on
smile.gif
I think we're being punished for griping about having to pay lol.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Taz's argument is that we would not be paying for the artwork itself but rather the bandwidth to download it. Whether we agree with it or not (I don't) is not going to change the fact that it's happening. So, it's time for us to either shut up and pay or do it ourselves (whether that be start another site or just make our own personal covers).

technazz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The donation is just to pay for the bandwidth. You just have to donate 1 Euro. It not about selling the covers its covering the costs of running the site. Bulk downloading adds up. Quit moaning about it and set up another site on your dime.

Technazz

rustybanana

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Me waits for a few more covers to pop up. Ive got a lot hoarded away here somewhere so will be happy to contribute to another site
wink.gif

Hopefully the artists of the "borrowed" customs demand their work be removed.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Im just in home after a 2 hours drive and i saw the site down - i still havent a clue whats up , but im totally banned from the FTP and the webside of it so i sent the hosting compant a mail to see what is happening.

Ill let you know when i find out more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night.