Hardware DVD board fried

ahmed_ghoneim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in Egypt, and I have a D2C Wii that I had modded with D2Ckey. Seeing as D2Ckey requires about 30 solders, the technician (who knows nothing about wiis, and only has soldering experience) had a very hard time installing it (even though I had the plans). It worked well for a while.. but then some kind of short circuit occurred, frying the drive's board and the D2C probably with it. I need to buy a replacement drive, and I have the means to ship it to Egypt.. but by far the only trustworthy site I found was consolesource, but It's just too damn expensive for me! Any suggestions as where to find a cheaper D2C drive or even the board only.. from a site that won't turn out to be a fraud?
Here's what I'm sure of: I had a good D2C drive that is fried and it's IC needs replacement.
What i'm not sure of is whether or not the D2Ckey is damaged itself (i'll buy a wiikey 2 anyway..) and whether or not I need to get a D2C drive, not any other drive and it'll work as well.
My main request is: please! I need a good site!

ften

Trophies
Website
fathertom.net
XP
Country
Bulgaria
VGCRepairs is a good site; I've bought parts off them a few times. You can buy a replacement PCB for your D2C board for 55 bucks. They are based out of California.
http://www.vgcrepairs.biz/zen_store/index....products_id=139

There customer support was awesome and even worked with we me on selling me a Wii part they normally don't stock on their site.

-FTen

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I would be inclined to replace the drive with a flatmii instead. Cost of one of those is likely to be less than a replacement drive, let alone drive + new chip + installation.

Remember that you can use any drive with any wii.

ahmed_ghoneim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks alot guys, this forum rocks!! Seriously I'm glad people answered, so I'm going to check the site ften, thanks alot, and yea it's much cheaper to get the PCB only..
To FAST6191: I don't know what a flatmii is, but I'm sure gonna look it up.
Thanks everybody

ahmed_ghoneim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just read about the flatmii. It sounds great, but the problem is since the D2C board got fried, the wii itself refuses to work.. it turns on but does nothing else.. not even an output to the TV.. so I have to replace the D2C board for the wii to function at all!

Im bored

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also just keep in mind that the Wii can run without the drive, that means if you disconnect your D2C drive your Wii should turn ON and give you an out put on the TV. Never tried it myself but there is someone on this forum that removed their drive completely and replaced it with a Hard Drive which suggests that wii can run independent from the Drive.

rustybanana

Trophies
XP
Country
If you wii wont work without the drive then there is a problem somewhere else too. Ive fired mine up before without the drive and all was normal, was able to use homebrew and istall wads etc. Also VC and WW games were fine without the drive
wink.gif

You are probably correct in thinking that drive is knackered but it also sounds like there is a problem with the wii itself!
frown.gif

BillandAlisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you do anything to the Wii before installing the D2Ckey? Installing Wads, have homebrew, trying to update your Wii? Or anything like that?

Sounds like it's bricked. Then again, who knows what the technician messed up on the Wii.

ahmed_ghoneim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way that I can diagnose which is fried: the wifi card or the bluetooth card? I don't think it's bricked because I hadn't done any software changes/hacks right before it stopped working.. I think it's a physical thing cuz I moved it in a car and stuff.. I've read around and my problem fits with either the bluetooth or wifi cards being busted, how do I find out which?

rustybanana

Trophies
XP
Country
The only way you can test for sure is to try and swap the part from a wii you know is fully working. If you know anyone else with one you might be in luck, not the most ideal solution but its probably the only one you have got
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded